Restructuring the DCI BOD

they can if enough say yes...remember DCI is nothing more than the corps it is not some seperate entity as many think. we will have to agree to disageee I guess..believe it or not I side with you on many thing I just dont believe in the double talk of my friends in DCI or what was intended when this all started

In the case of the G7, seven said yes and the rest said a resounding H*** NO. And I believe that the same reaction would occur with the D-Ray 17 (in fact I am sure that many corps like the Scouts, the Academy, Spirit, who would be in the 17 would say NO to the D-Ray). And by the way, I know that you and I agree more than we disagree, and I too am tired of the hypocrisy that has always been in DCI.

All corps are not part of DCI (The Renegades for example). And not all corps who apply to become a part of DCI are accepted (many have not passed the entrance requirements set forth by the DCI Board). But the Mandarins, Jersey Surf, Pioneer, et al certainly are a part of DCI; and any corps which is accepted into DCI through the evaluation process is a part of DCI; and each of those DCI corps have a right (through the DCI Mission Statement) to not be spit upon or thrown out of DCI by the top ranking corps.

As for the case of the youth served. It is impossible for any organization to provide service to *all* youth; there are number limits mainly based on safety and financial sustainability. So, there is nothing wrong with each corps having a process which figures out which youth will be involved in their particular corps. The current per corps limit is 150; so take 150 times the current number of corps in DCI and that is the maximum number of youth which can be serviced by DCI. Some corps will only accept the best of the best, others will accept those who need to be educated in the art of music. Yet both are complying with the mission of DCI.

it states taking only the best of the best even breaks down how many music majors there are etc etc..DCI..drum corps in general have become an exclusive club and not for all...especially at this level I suppose,...theres the good and bad of progress..Corps also accepted like the ones you mentiond are fully aware of their place in the DCI fraternity they go in knowing. Some choose WC only beacuse of the money and are clearly NOT WC material..so I dont think they are victims not knowing just what they got themselves into

Edited by GUARDLING

...Corps also accepted like the ones you mentiond are fully aware of their place in the DCI fraternity they go in knowing. Some choose WC only beacuse of the money and are clearly NOT WC material..so I dont think they are some victims not knowing just what they got themselves into

The irony here is that Bob Jacobs, director of Jersey Surf, is the current DCI Marketing Director.

you keep mentioning the fraternal agreement......can you copy and print that?

Here's the published mission statement DCI provided to me in their press packet:

Drum Corps International is a cooperative fraternity of its member corps.

We seek:

To promote, develop and preserve the operational and artistic standards of the competitive musical sport;

and

To provide organization and leadership for the activity;

and

To develop and successfully operate musical events for the participating drum corps community.

Drum Corps International is the promotional, educational and service arm of the drum and bugle corps activity. It establishes rules and regulations; develops educational programs, such as the PBS broadcast of The Summer Music Games World Championships and the annual Management and Promotion Seminar; publishes DCI Today, a bimonthly publication; produces promotional videos and brochures; organizes judging seminars; showcases the top corps in North America in an annual summer tour; and promotes the activity worldwide.

Here's the published mission statement DCI provided to me in their press packet:

Fluffy language... all unnecessary in my opinion.

Goal DCI should simply be to make money... let the individual corps be cause driven, and DCI be cash driven. This is the only way to ensure sustainability, as cause first doesn't keep the lights on.

• Like 3

Fluffy language... all unnecessary in my opinion.

Goal DCI should simply be to make money... let the individual corps be cause driven, and DCI be cash driven. This is the only way to ensure sustainability, as cause first doesn't keep the lights on.

**Duck! INCOMING!**

Edited by garfield