Restructuring the DCI BOD

I assume you are, once again, referring to me. You do know I have worked in an administrative position for a corps, right? As in year-round, full-time job...

"Nyuh-uhh!" No you're not! You're sitting in your Mom's basement, just like I am, blogging with your friends and playing Def-Con Three.

I've saved up enough to make my next X-Box live subscription! Ha! And you said I'd never get the money from my Mom!

Shoot, I've commanded at least 3 regiments in Def-Con, I can easily handle running D-C. I've learned all the mistakes, just ask me.

Is the sun out today?

(P.S. I don't really care about DC. I'm only here to PM people to try to get them to play X-Box online with me, that's all, Dude.)

Edited by garfield

No.

It's like you already have something you are rabidly against... and try to fit everything I say into that.

Esta es una lucha que no deberia ser necesario mantener entre nosotros. Yo no soy su molinete...don Quijote de la Mancha.

perhaps better explanations would help...and a translator for the bottom line of the quoted post.

See you talk in riddles, weaving in and out of things as opposed to laying it all out so the "common man" can understand. Hell, so most businessmen can understand

If you recall... I am suggesting taking a lot of tour-related spending out of their hands.

Daniel....here's what you dont get. Fiscally stupid people wont suddenly become smart just because theu have wads of cash. History shows time and time again, they stay just as stupid, just with more cash.

I mean...last summer as an example. here the Cadets are, pestering the hell out of everyone about Chase Giving, advertising the need for more funds on their website, Facebook etc.,.....then midseason they go and buy an entire set of new uniforms to replace the new set they started the season with.

You're trying to tell me that mindset and pattern of behavior will automatically change just because they have more money? Really?

You know what they say about those who assume...

I guess assume was not the word I was looking for....

For someone who has zero experience running/maintaining a drum corps currently to want to radically shift the philosophy and try to push a separate agenda isn't going to work.
It is just lazy-sounding logic that sounds like it comes from someone who has zero clue what it takes to produce a high quality drum corps product consistently to make that above statement. You might have had success in some field of business, but to assume that the same principals managing/running a Fortune 500 company are easily adapted to a drum corps is naive.

But... as I mentioned, I used to actually work in the admin side of drum corps... as in my more than full-time job. I lived for a year at the corps directors house... so, was getting schooled about every minute I was awake. Was DM for a very well run corps before that, so had more than a bit of exposure to the admin and logistical side of things even as a kid.

Regarding knowing what it takes to produce a high-quality drum corps product consistently... the corps I have been involved with are the most consistent in the activity at producing the highest quality product.

I could tell you #### down to how many eggs, how much milk, bread, etc. a corps goes through in a season... bus costs and lease structures...fuel costs... housing arrangements... merchandising production costs and margin... all that good stuff.

So, you may not like what I have to say... or my approach... but it is not from an uninformed point of view.

Edited by danielray

Daniel....here's what you dont get. Fiscally stupid people wont suddenly become smart just because theu have wads of cash. History shows time and time again, they stay just as stupid, just with more cash.

I mean...last summer as an example. here the Cadets are, pestering the hell out of everyone about Chase Giving, advertising the need for more funds on their website, Facebook etc.,.....then midseason they go and buy an entire set of new uniforms to replace the new set they started the season with.

You're trying to tell me that mindset and pattern of behavior will automatically change just because they have more money? Really?

Let me try this one more time...

This is why they would receive good and services as compensation, in addition to cash.

The model would be flipped. Instead of just receive cash and the spend it themselves on stuff to keep their tour going, they would...

- Receive shipments of food that are planned and organized by professionals with year-round relationships with suppliers (allowing better cost and volume purchasing), for menus planned by a professional commercial chef... provided by a food services company partner/sponsor

- Receive leased busses and fuel....paid for directly by the tour (opt out is if the organization can do this cheaper or wishes to pay for services in excess, in which case they would receive the transportation allowance paid directly to the transport company and are responsible for costs above this).

- Receive an administrative allowance

and so on.

What I am getting at is that compensation would be structured in a way that it is specifically earmarked for line items. This will requie some changes on the side of several corps... many will not like this... but it will ultimately be a more stable and sustainable model.

Let me try this one more time...

This is why they would receive good and services as compensation, in addition to cash.

The model would be flipped. Instead of just receive cash and the spend it themselves on stuff to keep their tour going, they would...

- Receive shipments of food that are planned and organized by professionals with year-round relationships with suppliers (allowing better cost and volume purchasing), for menus planned by a professional commercial chef... provided by a food services company partner/sponsor

- Receive leased busses and fuel....paid for directly by the tour (opt out is if the organization can do this cheaper or wishes to pay for services in excess, in which case they would receive the transportation allowance paid directly to the transport company and are responsible for costs above this).

- Receive an administrative allowance

and so on.

What I am getting at is that compensation would be structured in a way that it is specifically earmarked for line items. This will requie some changes on the side of several corps... many will not like this... but it will ultimately be a more stable and sustainable model.

Let me explain this to you one more time.

You can cut them every deal in the world Daniel, and people who spend stupidly will still spend stupidly because they have more resources to spend. Give a man more toys to play with, he will play with them.

But... as I mentioned, I used to actually work in the admin side of drum corps... as in my more than full-time job. I lived for a year at the corps directors house... so, was getting schooled about every minute I was awake. Was DM for a very well run corps before that, so had more than a bit of exposure to the admin and logistical side of things even as a kid.

Regarding knowing what it takes to produce a high-quality drum corps product consistently... the corps I have been involved with are the most consistent in the activity at producing the highest quality product.

I could tell you #### down to how many eggs, how much milk, bread, etc. a corps goes through in a season... bus costs and lease structures...fuel costs... housing arrangements... merchandising production costs and margin... all that good stuff.

So, you may not like what I have to say... or my approach... but it is not from an uninformed point of view.

I know you were a DM of Blue Devils (I've heard some stories :tongue:). What corps did you serve an admin role in, and what specifically was that admin role?

Honestly not trying to pick a fight or anything: just curious...

I know you were a DM of Blue Devils (I've heard some stories :tongue:). What corps did you serve an admin role in, and what specifically was that admin role?

Honestly not trying to pick a fight or anything: just curious...

All the stories you heard were probably true... and the ones you didn't hear were probably even better. smile.gif

I was clarinet tech for the '73 Bandettes.

Let me explain this to you one more time.

You can cut them every deal in the world Daniel, and people who spend stupidly will still spend stupidly because they have more resources to spend. Give a man more toys to play with, he will play with them.

There proposed model would actually provide less cash than now, just some goods and services would be paid for by the tour operator, instead of the individual corps.