Restructuring Classes

Since our resident "know it all" Daniel is such a knowledgeable and successful entrepreneur he must have literally millions of dollars by now. He's even compared himself to Bill Cook so why not donate some serious cash to DCI instead of wasting his time and ours with these never-ending threads that have zero effect.

• Like 2

Great idea!

How about Regionalizing and going back to 1st tour/2nd Tour

Tour 1 is within the region

Break

Tour 2 is national

Let the corps save money

• Like 2

In another thread there a point came up that seemed like it might be interesting to discuss as a standalone topic... the idea of restructuring classes in order to have greater competitive parity within each class, and the ability for more corps to succeed at the top level of their tier.

In many ways, these tiers already exists, more or less, organically... and this is just formalizing this divide into clearer classes.

Based on last years rankings, it could look something like this...

World Class

The Cadets*

Blue Devils*

The Cavaliers*

Carolina Crown*

Phantom Regiment*

Santa Clara Vanguard*

Bluecoats*

Boston Crusaders*

Blue Knights

Madison Scouts

Blue Stars

Spirit of Atlanta

Glassmen

Troopers

The Academy

* TOC Participant

----------------------

Open Class

Colts

Crossmen

Pacific Crest

Mandarins

Teal Sound

Blue Devils B

Oregon Crusaders

Cascades

Vanguard Cadets

Jersey Surf

Spartans

Pioneer

The Yokohama Scouts

Revolution

----------------------

A Class

Genesis

7th Regiment

Music City

Jubal

Legends

Raiders

Forte

Colt Cadets

Les Stentors

Racine Scouts

Blue Saints

Spirit of Newark/NJ

Gold

Impulse

Velvet Knights

Spokane Thunder

Blue Devils C

On what basis do you make these divisions?

Why should Colts be relegated to a lower class than Academy? The two corps finished the 2011 season separated by 0.4.

Ditto regarding Genesis vs. Revolution, separated by 0.7 in their last meeting.

Mike, this is the funniest thing I have read in quite a long time. You should be writing for a sitcom. Serious!!! Thank you for a chance to laugh today.

Each corps gets its own class. Every corps then is a winner. No one goes home without a gold medal. Self-esteem rises to new and glorious mountaintops of whatever self-esteem rises to. Every marcher receives a patch that declares, "Congratulations, you ARE a winner." Brandt Crocker's voice will go hoarse from continually saying, "In first place, with a score of..." The most esoteric corps shows will be understood by all. The OP receives the Nobel Peace Prize. The United Nations declares the final day of the DCI season to be "International Kum-Ba-Yah Day." Rebecca Black will record "Saturday" and everyone in Lucas Oil Stadium that night will sing, "It's Saturday, it's Saturday, it's Kum-Ba-Yah Saturday." Lions shall lie down with lambs. The meek shall inherit the earth. There will be peace on earth. An archeologist will discover a centuries-lost Mayan calendar that reveals the end of 2012 is the beginning of centuries of universal brotherhood. Everyone who wants a new car will find one sitting in their driveway. Those without driveways will have driveways provided. I'll be able to eat tofu without passing gas.

You either get on board the Glory Train or it runs you over at the station.

• Like 1

Generally a good idea not to be emphatic about something you know nothing about. There are loads and loads of companies out there and divisions of large firms that do nothing all day long but just WATCH the mobile industry compete and are generating hundreds of millions in the process.

That's quite an overreach there. I could break it down by asking who pays them the hundreds of millions, and why, until even you admit that they do more than just "watch" the competition. But I think we all realize that market competition is not a spectator sport.

You can't name the 21st place because it doesn't exist.... just as it doesn't exist in many sectors.

Factually incorrect.

Competition, without restraint, attains a higher-level and loads of consolidation in the process. Loads of smaller groups stop competing against each other and combine resources and strengths to attain a higher level. There should be more consolidation in drum corps.

Now who's speaking emphatically with limited knowledge? We've had lots of mergers in drum corps, and their success rate is no greater than that of the rest of the activity. To put it in terms you'd appreciate....none of the G7 are mergers.

People don't closely watch what happens in the 15th-21st place of something.... there is always interest in the action at the top. This makes it more interesting... less predictable.

In reality, people do watch what's happening in the 15th-21st place level in the drum corps activity.

Check out the way it was suggested... there are natural clusters in geographic regions to make it work.

Not any more. Frankly, California is the only place left where enough open-class corps can conveniently congregate and create a substantial contest. The rest of the open-class activity is left with cameo appearances at local shows and occasional head-to-head matchups, as they wait patiently for the two weeks each year when tour brings them together with their peer group.

Of course, you render your own contention moot in the next sentence....

A Class should only tour regionally, though I see A Class as a temporary solution... and hopefully they would consolidate and move up. It is completely pointless, for example, that you have VK, Impulse, Gold and Pacific Crest all in the same region competing for talent... just as you have Cascades, Oregon Crusaders and Spokane Thunder also competing for the same talent, resources and support.

Pointless? That is the point of a competitive activity....to have several groups competing. We need more corps, not less.

With VK, Impulse, etc. the fact that both exist separately at all is only due to egos and personal issues, rather than practical, logical, business decisions. It is an absolute waste.

That I even have to respond to this drivel is a waste....but someone has to point out a couple of things.

- First of all, VK and Impulse are not "a waste". But don't take my word for it....more kids are marching as a result of these two programs vs. one program.

- Impulse and Velvet Knights have different identities, branding developed over a number of years. Funny how when you want two corps merged, you are so quick to repaint those attributes as "personal issues".

Should we merge Blue Devils and Vanguard, then? Why have two corps competing for resources so close together? Is that a "waste"? Somehow, I doubt you'll concur. Why should the "personal issues" that distinguish BD from SCV be treated any differently than those of Impulse/VK, or Cascades/Oregon Crusaders?

• Like 2

Since our resident "know it all" Daniel is such a knowledgeable and successful entrepreneur he must have literally millions of dollars by now. He's even compared himself to Bill Cook so why not donate some serious cash to DCI instead of wasting his time and ours with these never-ending threads that have zero effect.

Forget DCI. If Daniel (or any "private investor") had that kind of money to put into the drum corps activity, they could start their own circuit, offer the corps more $$$ than DCI is providing them, and watch them all sign up.

• Like 2

While Daniel doesn't need me to defend him, and especially when I know he enjoys torquing the screws when given the opportunity, I do take issue with your post on a content basis (being snarky is everyone's right, as you'll see). I'd like a source citation, please, if you're able to produce one.

I compare myself to Bill Cook all the time. I remind myself that I'm not him and of what the things are that I have to do to become more like him (i.e. rich and humble at the same time). Comparison to those you admire is a sign of wisdom, not weakness.

It's not your place or mine to determine what Daniel considers a waste of his time. It makes more sense that you're wasting your time, so at whom should the finger be pointed, hmmm?

Your assumptions about his net worth are yours alone. There is a part of your ASSumption that does fit, however.

The beautiful thing about being wealthy is the ability to pick and choose how to use that wealth. It's usually those without wealth who throw stones at those with it.

Instead of DCP, why not try an Occupy gathering. You'll find many there with feelings similar to yours, and an equal willingness to cast baseless daggers at those they blame for their own shortcomings.

Then, in between protests, read Atlas Shrugged.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

I don't understand the purpose of the idea in the OP. Is it so more corps can "win" each year in their grouping?

I don't think it creates more interest at all. The people who only pay attention at the top will still only pay attention at the top.

The Greedy7 already tried to banish the other corps and create their own group. I don't really see how this is any different.

The point is that some corps are technically in the same class, but in reality, they're not really in the same class.... not even close. Better to introduce a new class that clusters corps a bit more appropriately in competitive placement.

Bottom line, every corps should have a practical reality of being in at least the top 12 of their class (some might not make it some years, but it is a possibility). As it is, there are corps in World Class that will never break into even the top 15.... ever. Given that, there is no point to pair them with corps that are on a higher level.

• Like 2

The point is that some corps are technically in the same class, but in reality, they're not really in the same class.... not even close. Better to introduce a new class that clusters corps a bit more appropriately in competitive placement.

Bottom line, every corps should have a practical reality of being in at least the top 12 of their class (some might not make it some years, but it is a possibility). As it is, there are corps in World Class that will never break into even the top 15.... ever. Given that, there is no point to pair them with corps that are on a higher level.

Not true. There are many corps that came close to breaking into the top twelve back in May of 2010. :ph34r:

Despite that possibility, they chose to rally around the activity and try to keep it together instead of basking in the glory of their new-found prominance.

[snarky] If you're so certain about the future, could you tell me where the market will finish in May of 2013? I've got some things I need to do at that time. [/snarky] :tongue:

I'm not a big fan of just large donations, in the same way that venture capital groups are not a fan of just cutting checks. Money solves problems, but making sure that it is earmarked to solving the right ones at the right time in the right way is what matters.

There is a bit more effect to some discussions on this board than you may see. In fact, I think the offline discussions and subsequent ideas that guys working directly with corps come up with that sometimes were sparked from ideas kicked around here is what makes this place valuable. I don't feel I've wasted my time.

And... literally.

• Like 1