Drum Corps Music + Plants

I've heard there are studies concerning plants and music- the scenario in my head goes that they grow better when listening to classical vs hardcore metal.

Would the medium of music matter or is it confined to genre/mood? How would you expect plants to grow when you have Drum Corps looping? Would it grow better listening to Teal Sounds' 2009 show vs. the same collaboration of music put together on a mix-CD?

The experiment could go like this: 46 plants in 46 different areas (yeah, hard to find I know) listening to a single show looped for a period of months. One set of 23 would listen to Drum Corps shows- i.e. plant number 1 would have "1940" all the time for a few months and another plant would have that same music consecutively stitched together on a mix-CD.

I'm writing this on a whim with no motivation to research the plants+music experiments but I know they are around and I'm leaving it up to you bored people (I'm a little busy with homework right now).

Theories and thoughts?

Edited by Barifonium

I've heard there are studies concerning plants and music- the scenario in my head goes that they grow better when listening to classical vs hardcore metal.

Would the medium of music matter or is it confined to genre/mood? How would you expect plants to grow when you have Drum Corps looping? Would it grow better listening to Teal Sounds' 2009 show vs. the same collaboration of music put together on a mix-CD?

The experiment could go like this: 46 plants in 46 different areas (yeah, hard to find I know) listening to a single show looped for a period of months. One set of 23 would listen to Drum Corps shows- i.e. plant number 1 would have "1940" all the time for a few months and another plant would have that same music consecutively stitched together on a mix-CD.

I'm writing this on a whim with no motivation to research the plants+music experiments but I know they are around and I'm leaving it up to you bored people (I'm a little busy with homework right now).

Theories and thoughts?

I played some tunes from Guns and Roses over my dumbcanes potted plants, but they wilted. In hindsight I probably should have played some drum Corps stuff over the stupid dumbcanes. I think its not the music played but the flowers that we play the music over. For example, anything from the Blue Devils seems to make the Baby Blue Eyes sparkle. Also, anything from Composer Bela Bartok seems to be received well by my Patient Lucy, but not so much by my Philodendrons, Begonia's, or the Impatiens.

Edited by BRASSO

I think the plants would really appreciate Jersey Surf's "Petal Tones." If they start to wilt, you can play Crossmen's "Renewal." I think if you played Pacific Crest's "Push, Pull, Twist, Turn," the plants would faint from fear.

• Like 1

I think the plants would really appreciate Jersey Surf's "Petal Tones." If they start to wilt, you can play Crossmen's "Renewal." I think if you played Pacific Crest's "Push, Pull, Twist, Turn," the plants would faint from fear.

What about music from Robert Plant ? How would the Morning Glories respond to that, do you think ?

I have found that if I play soft music and whisper sweet nothings under the misteltoe flowers, on a few occasions I can get lucky and detect the lush aroma of a fine perfume and some wondrous momentary miracles have been known to occur with the entire experience for me. That said, I can't say that I've ever noticed any effect on my mistletoes.

Edited by BRASSO

Boo,

It's not what you call it. It's how it makes you feel. tongue.gif Very funny though! thumbup.gifsmile.gif

How about the Cadets' "Make Our Garden Grow?" Seems like a sure winner!

Fred O.

None of my plants were alive in 1985. However, some were alive in 2002 when Seattle Cascades played it.

• Like 1

How about the Cadets' "Make Our Garden Grow?" Seems like a sure winner!

Fred O.

or in earlier times, the Cadets playing of " Everthing's coming up roses " might have a positive effect of the rosebuds. ..... also, " The Flower Drum Song " if played softly over the Hibiscus could make that Garden grow. That said, my experience is that my Peace Lillies do not respond that well to the playing of SCV's "The Red Poppy". Maybe they needed just a larger spinkling of H20 and it might've shown more poppy pizazz,.. not sure. I'd be interested what other DCP'ers think on what effect drum corps music played has on their Touch-Me-Nots, and their large Palms.

Edited by BRASSO