What do you miss about the good old drum corps days ?

At the various "Nationals", inspections were usually held outside the stadium. You'd be surprised at the number of members from other corps watching to see how many ticks you got.

In the 70 VFW National prelims (Miami) we got a few tics for "Irish pennants" (loose threads on a unifrom seam), "excessively-worn heel counters" and "improper side-dressing" on our black oxford shoes. I got a tic for improperly lacing (right-over-left on one shoe, left-over-right on the other). Some of us watched other inspections to see if the inspectors were being equally as "chickensh!t" with other corps, only to find out minor inspection tic were canceled for everyone. (Only 1.0 major penalties counted.)

In 71, near the end of season Don Angelica started working with the horn line. He accompanied us to Miami where we stopped on the way to Dallas to play a Dolphin/49'er exhibtion game. We stayed at a private school for a week to rehearse for Nats. When we got to inspection in Dallas...guess who was the inspection judge! :smile:

I remember the '71 stop. My parents were home in CA and watched you get soaked at halftime. So glad your corps pulled it together for VFW Dallas.

I remember the '71 stop. My parents were home in CA and watched you get soaked at halftime. So glad your corps pulled it together for VFW Dallas.

Yes, NBC showed our entire show on TV that night! My parents got to watch up here in NJ. There was a pic on the front page of one of the big Miami newspapers the next day of our timpani section with the rain just bouncing off of the drums.