Taking A Break?

BD9

March. Perform. Do your best. Enjoy every possible moment with whatever corps you can march with. You will regret it if you take a year off. The fact that you have the skills to make any DCI world class corps is something to be proud of. There are so many musicians that have the talent and never make the leap. Give it your all and wear sunscreen!

• Like 3

For the sake of discussion. :smile: <-- Note this, please.

Who really cares if a person hops from Corps to Corps if they're giving 100% while they're doing it? As long as that person doesn't let me or the Corps down during that season then that's what counts. The flip side to that? There have been returning vets that have been cut to make room for incoming talent so hornline, drumline, and guard caption heads have no problem with trading up either.

Ring Chasers? I come from the "It just doesn't matter." and "Do your best." school. It didn't motivate me personally. BUT, people are motivated by different things. Not everyone is the same.

Dead beats. Meh. No time for them in any situation.

As long as the person is giving 100% then who am I to judge what they do the following year?

retention and loyalty are a strong foundation for a corps success..you are right about staff though..some would throw a vet under a bus also. I agree with alot of what you say although personally Im not sure how right it is. I have taught some members that every year it's a different corps. Corps ( especially building ones) invest alot into a member only to lose them. Guess it's the temporary world, instant gratification world we live in now. Oh well. Youre right people are motivated by different things and thats cool , we all don't do things for the same reasons. JMO

retention and loyalty are a strong foundation for a corps success..you are right about staff though..some would throw a vet under a bus also. I agree with alot of what you say although personally Im not sure how right it is. I have taught some members that every year it's a different corps. Corps ( especially building ones) invest alot into a member only to lose them. Guess it's the temporary world, instant gratification world we live in now. Oh well. Youre right people are motivated by different things and thats cool , we all don't do things for the same reasons. JMO

Members invest a lot in corps as well. Thousands of dollars a summer, even for OC corps. That, IMO, gives them every right to go where they please so long as they have the ability to do so. If corps were charging little or nothing for the summer, then it might be a little different. Maybe. But as long as the kids are paying to play I see nothing wrong with corps hopping.

And - I know this has already been mentioned, but it bears repeating - how many corps are truly loyal to their members? How many times have corps told multi-year vets to #### off, strung along kids camp after camp to squeeze them for fees, and so on? Of course this is mostly the case in higher ranking corps where a lot of kids will finish their marching careers, but not always. But the point is: If corps aren't loyal to their kids, why should the kids be loyal to their corps?

• Like 1

Members invest a lot in corps as well. Thousands of dollars a summer, even for OC corps. That, IMO, gives them every right to go where they please so long as they have the ability to do so. If corps were charging little or nothing for the summer, then it might be a little different. Maybe. But as long as the kids are paying to play I see nothing wrong with corps hopping.

And - I know this has already been mentioned, but it bears repeating - how many corps are truly loyal to their members? How many times have corps told multi-year vets to #### off, strung along kids camp after camp to squeeze them for fees, and so on? Of course this is mostly the case in higher ranking corps where a lot of kids will finish their marching careers, but not always. But the point is: If corps aren't loyal to their kids, why should the kids be loyal to their corps?

you are right on all accouts...thats what is so sad about the activity today..i teach both in DCI WC as well as consult in other areas and as much as I love all the new approaches to the activity today it's sad in part.

although I am agreeing with you. think about the job market also. A company would do the same if someone better or new came around BUT try to apply for a job when your resume says you have had 5 jobs in 5 years. I know different....... kids do pay for this and do have the right to do as they please.. I do agree...............as long as they pay as they are supposed to....thats another story

Edited by GUARDLING

No college prep takes an entire summer. Not before freshman year as an undergrad. Truth.

College cost money. Drum corps cost money. Very few families can afford both. And if it comes down to a choice between marching in a summer band and "prepping" for college, college is a WHOLE lot more important. Hard truth.

• Like 2

College cost money. Drum corps cost money. Very few families can afford both. And if it comes down to a choice between marching in a summer band and "prepping" for college, college is a WHOLE lot more important. Hard truth.

I agree. I didn't gather, from the OP's suggestions, that working to save money was part of the prepping he was talking about.

• Like 1

I agree. I didn't gather, from the OP's suggestions, that working to save money was part of the prepping he was talking about.

Actually, a few post down the OP does mention money (fund raising issues) AND the fact that they will need to arrange a place to live in college and deal with moving in...which really is no big deal, and something the college can handle for you. So I just kinda read between the lines...

The money for college is no issue. The money for drum corps is. It's raising the moneyfor drum corps with prepping for college and the stress of Attempting both at the same time. Even though I've been admitted and have my scholarships and the like, there's still A LOT of paperwork that needs to be done and things to be arranged for that might hinder my ability to raise the money and be as practiced for drum corps.

As for switching...the Academy is an amazing organization. As stated before, the reason I want to move up is because I want to be a part of something as near-perfect as the Blue Devils, not to mention that they are what inspired me in the first place. I would give everything I've got and more to any organization I'm a part of (I don't think it's possible to not do so in drum corps- any corps I march will be a challenge, maybe just in different ways.) whether it be The Academy, Devs, or even OC corps. I do drum corps so I can get better, as well as for that experience of challenging myself and pushing myself farther than I could imagine. Neither of which I would achieve if I didn't give everything.

• Like 3

The money for college is no issue. The money for drum corps is. It's raising the moneyfor drum corps with prepping for college and the stress of Attempting both at the same time. Even though I've been admitted and have my scholarships and the like, there's still A LOT of paperwork that needs to be done and things to be arranged for that might hinder my ability to raise the money and be as practiced for drum corps.

As for switching...the Academy is an amazing organization. As stated before, the reason I want to move up is because I want to be a part of something as near-perfect as the Blue Devils, not to mention that they are what inspired me in the first place. I would give everything I've got and more to any organization I'm a part of (I don't think it's possible to not do so in drum corps- any corps I march will be a challenge, maybe just in different ways.) whether it be The Academy, Devs, or even OC corps. I do drum corps so I can get better, as well as for that experience of challenging myself and pushing myself farther than I could imagine. Neither of which I would achieve if I didn't give everything.

Do what is right. Follow your dreams. There is plenty of time later on for the world to get in the way.

• Like 2

I was thinking of taking a season off from marching so that I could get ready for college, etc, but I've heard a lot of downsides to it. Have any of you ever taken a year (or more) off? What did you think of that, and do you think it will make it harder for me when I come back? (note: I have 5 years of marching left. If I march this season it'll be with the corps I marched in 2011, I just miss them too much, but I will want to audition for the Blue Devils either 2013 or 2014, so I'm worried I might be too out of practice..)

It is funny how many people got caught up on this "but I will want to audition for the Blue Devils either 2013 or 2014, so I'm worried I might be too out of practice..)"

but Ignored this "(note: I have 5 years of marching left. If I march this season it'll be with the corps I marched in 2011, I just miss them too much"

It seems to me you can have upwardly mobile thinking, while enjoying the fruits of your experience! :ph34r:

Maybe ring chasers, corps hoppers and such... are just great kids trying to have fun, get better and get what they need from their drum corps experience and some of us should STOP THE JUDGING!!!!!

• Like 1