Bring A Bari Buddy To Cadets2 January Camp

I think there are many people that thought they would have some difficulty filling an entire corps their first year. With that being said, Having an almost to full high brass in December is a pretty good start for any corps! Not sure what the talent level is like, but those are pretty good numbers... especially since they share a state with Reading.

On another note, I think it is smart to have an age limit. I have found that with a lot of corps (especially ones starting up), it is difficult for younger (sometimes very talented) staff members to get the same respect from the membership if the membership is older than them. When the corps is established, I do not think this is a problem, but I have seen it in various groups. I think this hinders the success of the group. I am obviously not saying that Gino is going to have problems getting respect from older members of a new corps, but a 26 year old instructor might have problems getting a 40 or 50 year old to listen... or even a 30 year old. Sometimes if they are just a couple of years older, the membership sees them more as equals because they have been playing their instrument longer, etc. Older membership has its advantages, but it also has its disadvantages.

On another note, I think it is smart to have an age limit. I have found that with a lot of corps (especially ones starting up), it is difficult for younger (sometimes very talented) staff members to get the same respect from the membership if the membership is older than them. When the corps is established, I do not think this is a problem, but I have seen it in various groups. I think this hinders the success of the group. I am obviously not saying that Gino is going to have problems getting respect from older members of a new corps, but a 26 year old instructor might have problems getting a 40 or 50 year old to listen... or even a 30 year old. Sometimes if they are just a couple of years older, the membership sees them more as equals because they have been playing their instrument longer, etc. Older membership has its advantages, but it also has its disadvantages.

This may differ from organization to organization, but (IMHO) respect is a two-way street and they (all members of an organization) should be equals. Performers, instructional, administration, support, etc.; all focusing on the same goals simply with different duties and tasks.....all respecting one another, all helping one another.

I think there are many people that thought they would have some difficulty filling an entire corps their first year. With that being said, Having an almost to full high brass in December is a pretty good start for any corps! Not sure what the talent level is like, but those are pretty good numbers... especially since they share a state with Reading.

Ditto!

Hmmm raise the age to PARENT of those who are 24 and I would qualify. Sorry, guess my bari stays in its case this year

So those are the target numbers in higher brass (first hard numbers I've seen).... Hope the corps gets the members to get the right blend but would be interesting if they didn't. Not a slam on the corps but have seen plenty of corps with unbalanced horn lines (there's an opening if I ever saw one) and working with that is a challenge. How corps handle it and how successful they are is a treat for a horn guy like me.

Don't all corps need more Baris? :devil:

Agreed. Unbalanced horn lines are a tough assignment. If you're top heavy in one section and short in another.....OUCH!

I could bring a bari, but it's 2 valve, and in G, and even if it were in Bb I couldn't even play it there... :music:

This may differ from organization to organization, but (IMHO) respect is a two-way street and they (all members of an organization) should be equals. Performers, instructional, administration, support, etc.; all focusing on the same goals simply with different duties and tasks.....all respecting one another, all helping one another.

You are correct. Still, I have heard of instances where corps members do not follow staff members if they think their way(or the way they have always done it)is better. Like it or not, there are some members out there that would rather just show up to rehearsal and play through their show than learn something different. I am sure this is isolated, and younger members can do that as well, but I would think it is less likely.

Hmmm raise the age to PARENT of those who are 24 and I would qualify. Sorry, guess my bari stays in its case this year

Would you really go if they allowed older members? If so, you could always go to Reading or another corps close by. You certainly would not have to choose to not march on account of one corps.

Would you really go if they allowed older members? If so, you could always go to Reading or another corps close by. You certainly would not have to choose to not march on account of one corps.

Well, let me see.... If I had the option I would go back to Statesmen in a heart beat. As for going to a corps close by: I live in California and marched Statesmen last year so distance is NOT a factor, but going to a corps I love is the main decision maker . I have an old High School friend whose son is trying for C2 so would be really cool to march with him and that would interest me as well.

As far as the Bari remaining in its case: C2 needs Bari players, and I have played bari, but I AM a Mellophone player and playing mello this year.

(I am back with SoCal Dream this year as our goal is attending DCA again so look out everyone we are to Boldly Go this year!!)

Edited by DreaminMello