Phantom 96 or Phantom 06

I was having a nice discussion yesterday on what show is better: The champions from 1996 or the 2nd place show from 2006. I'd love to hear the feedback of the DCP community! My vote is for 06 even though they didn't win (should have in my eyes). Better overall sound, better visual package, better percussion, just wrong year to go against "The Machine." Your thoughts?

I was having a nice discussion yesterday on what show is better: The champions from 1996 or the 2nd place show from 2006. I'd love to hear the feedback of the DCP community! My vote is for 06 even though they didn't win (should have in my eyes). Better overall sound, better visual package, better percussion, just wrong year to go against "The Machine." Your thoughts?

96. by a lot. 06 couldn't win in a decidedly off year while 96 had to duke it out with a very strong Blue Devil corps.

There is a mesmerizing quality to 96 - I felt it the first time I saw that show (in June of that year...). Beginning from that minor triadic theme, the show has a tension arc like few other drum corps shows in history...perhaps 93 Star is the other prime example. The corps with which they shared the title? They left me completely flat, though I recognized how amazingly well they performed the show they'd been given. Give me a superior product any day.

My vote is for '96. I LOVED the Shostakovich program, and the way they stepped it up at Finals to tie BD surprised more than a few. And even though it was shared, there is something special about your "first" Championship.

1996. It had so much grace, relatively simplistic and straight-forward, and all about the music (no theatrics). It also had an intensity that didn't smack you upside the head like the current Regiment shows.

What absolutely grips me is, in '96, at 9:50, the camera gets a shot of the female drum major's face, right at that moment when she realizes that her entire summer of pain, work, and love is coming to an end in the next few seconds. The change in her expression reduces to nearly tears as it sinks in. But she doesn't break down.

By the cutoff she has a broad, satisfied grin on her face. Her expression as she turned to bow to the screaming crowd is priceless. The epitome of the activity.

• Like 6

'96. Amazing show. Amazing Corps.

One thing that 06 has going for it in a big way is the percussion. That was maybe the best line of the 00's. I think 06 in general may have been "better" all around, but there's just such a huge emotional appeal to 96 that can't be denied. My brain says 06, but my heart says 96. I just can't go against that.

Edited by old skool drmmr