Madison Scouts 2012

Rather than argue about spats, my concern this year is the Color Guard. What has happened. When the Corps comes onto the field, they look sharp with a military bearing (which we expect from the Scouts). The Guard kind of casually wanders on the field and messes around while the Corps is standing at attention waiting to begin. At the end, the corps marches off and the Guard just wanders off. Just doesn't seem like Madison to me. I love the show and am a big supporter of the Scouts but for the life of me, I can't understand why the staff hasn't addressed this issue. I think the Color Guard performance is lacking because of some type of attitude problem. Sorry that I feel this way because the rest of the corps is giving maximm effort.

I believe the reason for the casual attitude from the Guard, is that they are "in character"

as artists...which would fit the whole "Reframed" show theme.

Edited by madalumni
  • Like 1

That contraline and hornline rock! I actually am sitting here in my Dude t shirt! Love the music!

• Like 1

I certainly agree with that and the percussion is much better this year, as well.

• Like 1

Rather than argue about spats, my concern this year is the Color Guard. What has happened. When the Corps comes onto the field, they look sharp with a military bearing (which we expect from the Scouts). The Guard kind of casually wanders on the field and messes around while the Corps is standing at attention waiting to begin. At the end, the corps marches off and the Guard just wanders off. Just doesn't seem like Madison to me. I love the show and am a big supporter of the Scouts but for the life of me, I can't understand why the staff hasn't addressed this issue. I think the Color Guard performance is lacking because of some type of attitude problem. Sorry that I feel this way because the rest of the corps is giving maximm effort.

I believe the reason for the casual attitude from the Guard, is that they are "in character"

I agree. They are in character. I have seen them many, many times and have never had a negative impression. Honestly, would Donnie VanDoren allow an attitude problem to permeate the performance of the Scouts in a show? Are we familiar with his expectations? The guard is busting their ### to get better just like everyone else.

• Like 2

Is anyone having problems sending private messages through? I can't get it to go through.

Do you guys feel like the Cavaliers might pass Scouts before dci finals? I still don't feel the Cavaliers have the show that can do it once Madison cleans their show.

• Like 1

Do you guys feel like the Cavaliers might pass Scouts before dci finals? I still don't feel the Cavaliers have the show that can do it once Madison cleans their show.

Great question! If the last show is any indication, the Cavies were only several tenths down from the Scouts. And that's after being several points away from the Scouts just a few days earlier. The way folks are talking around here, you'd swear that the Cavies have the worst show to ever set eyes upon and that they don't have a chance to make the night show in Indianapolis, but yet again, here they are! Lets not forget, these are the Cavaliers were talking about...I don't think there's a snow balls chance in you know where that the Cavies are going to curl up in fetal position, do you? As much as I don't want to see it, I believe high probability resides with the Green Machine to surpass the Scouts...I just hope I'm very wrong! (Especially since I haven't seen anyone yet).

Here's to hoping Madison makes "all" the right changes in the coming weeks and learns to max it all out to surprise us all!

"In character"? No...the character is the Madison Scouts. Play your character during the show. Before & after you are a Madison Scout character & a Madison Scout holds certain things sacred, one of which is discipline.

End of old guy rant.

• Like 1

"In character"? No...the character is the Madison Scouts. Play your character during the show. Before & after you are a Madison Scout character & a Madison Scout holds certain things sacred, one of which is discipline.

End of old guy rant.

I believe what Jeff K. is saying here is that the "performers" (the guard) are simply carrying out (performing) their roll. A lot has changed on the stage of drum corps since you and I last marched together with the Scouts in 81'. In most cases today, there's the "pre-show" show as the corps are entering the field and moving to their positions. I suggest that those of us who are still trying to interpret this activity from the "old" hand book of "this-is-how-its-got-to-be", have better come to realize that the hand book has gone through some extensive upgrades and revisions (not a bad thing!). But, this fact by no means should leave one to conclude that Madison has thus automatically lost some of it's identifying traits, I.E. character and discipline...that would be an unfair reach. I believe if you queried the point, you'd probably find that the history and character (which includes discipline) of what it means to be a Scout is more aptly communicated and carried out in today's Scout's lives then probably anytime in the past...Take a breath, Madison is still Madison, and they're in great hands.

• Like 2