What's with all the hate for BD

And the question still remains (getting back to the title of this thread)...

If it's okay for me to not like a show AND express my reasons for not liking it, does that make me a "hater"?

on here....

to some....

yes.

or else you're intelligence will be insulted as lacking

No. I wouldn't blame that Cadets marcher.

The responsibility ( if true ) rests with the adults in the Corps. Not the marcher. Not the audience. Not anyone on DCP. It meant the marcher had an unsatisfactory participation in his Corps. Plain and simple. And the responsibilty for that ( again , if true ) rests with the adult that cashed his check for participation in the Corps.

and there's the problem. if you criticize design, too many people say "you're hurting the kids who are busting their butts".

########. if I hate design it has little to do with their kids.

Oh my God. The number of times I have seen PA shows go ballsitic for West Coast corps is too many to count. Hell last time was SCV 09.

I still to this day remember the reaction to BD in 94 at Allentown in the early season when they came in...bedlam.

THE EAST AND ITS CORPS HAVE NEVER HAD A LOVE AFFAIR WITH BD,......CROWDS ARE FICKLE NIGHT TO NIGHT..CANT PUT MUCH ON THAT.......THEN AGAIN THE EAST CAN HAVE THE BEST FANS............AS WELL AS THE WORST

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

and there's the problem. if you criticize design, too many people say "you're hurting the kids who are busting their butts".

Let me ask ..why do we as drum corps people feel the need to criticize in the 1st place..........we all dont have to like or agree with a design choice..just dont watch it or sup[port what you like and thats it...........i actually know this answer but curious to hear others..lol

I agree. Since the marchers have nothing to do with the show design, then they can't possibly be blamed for a tepid audience response to the show. One would think that this is a relatively easy concept to grasp. If a football team is unprepared for a college football game and not expecting the response from an opponent or the fans in the stands in the game, do we blame the players for this unprepared response or do we chiefly blame the Coaches for the team getting a response on game day that was not expected ? I think this nonsense that most fans don't like marchers in Corps and therefore the criticism of the Corps is directed at the marchers is the dumbest thing we've heard in a long time. Additionally, presumably the marchers at the highest level of DCI like BD are college age. One would imagine that they can separate criticism of a Corps show from criticism of them personally. They are afterall in college and we assume they are bright. If a marcher takes personally a criticism of his Corps show design, then frankly maybe that marcher deserves to take it personallty, as he or she is dumber than dirt to take the blame for it. But my guess, these marchers are smart enough to know that a show design is not in their domain, so they need not try and own it.... for good.... or for bad.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree. Since the marchers have nothing to do with the show design, then they can't possibly be blamed for a tepid audience response to the show. One would think that this is a relatively easy concept to grasp. If a football team is unprepared for a college football game and not expecting the response from an opponent or the fans in the stands in the game, do we blame the players for this unprepared reponse or do we chiefly blame the Coaches for the team getting a respoinse on game day that was not expected ? I think this nonsense that most fans don't like marchers in Corps and therefore the criticism of the Corps is directed at the marchers is the dumbest thing we've heard in a long time. Additionally, presumably the marchers at the highest level of DCI like BD are college age. One woould imagine that they can separate criticism of a Corps show from criticism of them personally. They are afterall in college and we assume they are bright. If a marcher takes personally a criticism of his Corps show design, then frankly maybe that marcher deserves to take it personallty, as he or she is dumber than dirt do to take the blame for it. But my guess, these marchers are smart enough to know that a show design is not in their domain, so they need not try and own it.... for good.... or for bad.

do you remember what it was to be liked or disliked when you marched...of course they take it personally..its their hard work...it a show they may have bought into. If the drum line gets slammed it effect everyone not just 1 section. it becomes their show..days on end of work..yes it does effect them

why do people feel the need to be judge , jury, designer, director, performer. Just go and watch what you like and dont watch the rest or at very least just say you dont care for something BUT NOOOOOO some have to give that Oh so superior opinion on every aspect of every part of every corps...lol hysterical ( not saying you, just in general ) :smile:

Maybe I'm guilty also....hope I control it at least..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

do you remember what it was to be liked or disliked when you marched...of course they take it personally..its their hard work...it a show they may have bought into. If the drum line gets slammed it effect everyone not just 1 section. it becomes their show..days on end of work..yes it does effect them

why do people feel the need to be judge , jury, designer, director, performer. Just go and watch what you like and dont watch the rest or at very least just say you dont care for something BUT NOOOOOO some have to give that Oh so superior opinion on every aspect of every part of every corps...lol hysterical ( not saying you, just in general ) :smile:

Maybe I'm guilty also....hope I control it at least..lol

Lots of movies come out all the time where a terrific actor or actress was in a dumb and unappealing movie. When the movie bombs with the public, the actor, actress, other performers, stage hands, etc don't " take it personally ". The public is forgiving of the actor and actress for taking the role. But the blame goes to the Script writers, Director, Producers.

If drum Corps marchers are taking criticism of their show design " personally " then perhaps it points to the need for more education on the part of staff with these marchers in Corps. No marcher should take personsally any criticism of tgheir corps show design. We give the marcher no credit for the show design when its a big hit with audiences, do we ? No. We credit the performers with the execution of the show. No marchers in The Cadets designed the show of The Cadets last year. The accolades for that rightfully go to their show designers. The performance of that show however does go to the marcher performers who executed it superbly by Finals. Likewise, if the show design was a bomb with nost audiences, but the marcher performed it superbly, we in the audience can make that distinction. My guess, the marchers can as well. Those marchers that take the criticism of a Corps show design personally need to be reinforced that... " its not your fault ", and " the criticism of the show design is not directed at you at all ". And STAFF need to step up to the plate and take the blame when a show bombs with the public, and absolve their charges for any of the criticism. Finally, staff need to properly prepare their performers when the staff prepare what they know will be an avart garde " out there " show that most in the audience are not going to like the show. The staff has that obligation. The audience is absolved from that responsibility to insulate the performer from the inevitable criticism of the show design.

Edited by BRASSO

Lots of movies come out all the time where a terrific actor or actress was in a dumb and unappealing movie. When the movie bombs with the public, the actor, actress, other performers, stage hands, etc don't " take it personally ". The public is forgiving of the actor and actress for taking the role. But the blame goes to the Script writers, Director, Producers.

If drum Corps marchers are taking criticism of their show design " personally " then perhaps it points to the need for more education on the part of staff with these marchers in Corps. No marcher should take personsally any criticism of tgheir corps show design. We give the marcher no credit for the show design when its a big hit with audiences, do we ? No. We credit the performers with the execution of the show. No marchers in The Cadets designed the show of The Cadets last year. The accolades for that rightfully go to their show designers. The performance of that show however does go to the marcher performers who executed it superbly by Finals. Likewise, if the show design was a bomb with nost audiences, but the marcher performed it superbly, we in the audience can make that distinction. My guess, the marchers can as well. Those marchers that take the criticism of a Corps show design personally need to be reinforced that... " its not your fault ", and " the criticism of the show design is not directed at you at all ". And STAFF need to step up to the plate and take the blame when a show bombs with the public, and absolve their charges for any of the criticism. Finally, staff need to properly prepare their performers when the staff prepare what they know will be an avart garde " out there " show that most in the audience are not going to like the show. The staff has that obligation. The audience is absolved from that responsibility to insulate the performer from the inevitable criticism of the show design.

i guess you have forgot..lol..oh well

although kids know they didnt write it its still their product . I dont think the performers of BD gets some of the public dislike in fact i know they dont get it from members i know personally BUT I also know they dont care much. They stand behind their product , love what they do and are 1 with their staff and thats a good thing............with all the nostaglia sometimes on here all I can say its a good thing there wasnt the internet back in the 60s 70s 80s..boy oh boy....lol...like I said I may be guilty of it ..hopefully not 2 bad though.......ok done..lol :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Let me ask ..why do we as drum corps people feel the need to criticize in the 1st place.

Probablly for the same reason that they cheer or applaud for other things they like in Drum Corps. Why are you uncomfortable with people expressing their criticisms on occasion, provided that its constructive, honest, explanatory on what they did not like, etc and not done in a personal way to any marcher ?

I had an instructor that hardly ever said anything critical. It was all monotonous after awhile. On the other hand, I knew an instructor that rarely gave a good word, unless he really felt it and meant it. Guess what ? When he gave praise, it really meant a lot. Thats because we knew it was genuine and honest. When the other staff member witheld criticism, I never quite knew what he really thought, so the impact of his praise was always somewhat suspect for me.

Edited by BRASSO