What's with all the hate for BD

So then you do not believe that BD got improved crowd approval last season because the crowd felt good about where BD was placing? It seemed to me the only time that the crowd didn't approve of BD last season were the two shows going into finals when BD won the shows... Everything was fine when BD was in 3rd anf 4th... It was when they snuck back into 2nd that things got heated up again. Anyone else recall this?

I (for one) certainly do. And similarly in 2010 when the Bluecoats were making a run at BD after overtaking the Cavies, they were getting big ovations......then around Allentown or so, Cavies began to surge back and it was very apparent (to me) that they (Cavies) were the ones the crowd felt could beat BD and their support was palpable right through finals. It's like Boo's reference to current politics.....you back the horse (which is not always your favorite) that you think has the best shot to bump off the leader.

DCI fans do this in different ways, and because I'm a relative rookie (5 years) I'm not yet jaded enough not to applaud for all corps and couldn't ever imagine booing or bad mouthing any of them. There is not a single performer out there that deserves "hate" for anything they do on the field.....that is patently insane.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

DCI fans do this in different ways, and because I'm a relative rookie (5 years) I'm not yet jaded enough not to applaud for all corps and couldn't ever imagine booing or bad mouthing any of them.

Well, take it from a vet (~20 years): anyone who EVER boos or bad-mouths a corps performance is a straight-up D-bag, period, the end.

You can hate a show design, you can hate a corps director... but if you ever reach a point where you're booing the kids, you need to go find something else to do because you're missing the point so badly you wouldn't "get it" if it was hammered into your skull with a mallet.

• Like 2

I'm just wondering why there are so many very conflicting opinions on the Blue Devils. Give your opinion, good or bad, on the Blue Devils.

A quick true story :

A famous baseball player that one day would become a future Hall of Famer, one day during the latter stages of his career was having an unusually bad day at the plate and in the field, and his team was losing. Late in the game, he made an uncharateristically bad error on a fly ball to him in the outfield. He was roundly booed by many of his hometown fans. When the inning was over, the future Hall of Famer came into the dugout, and a rookie utlity player came over to him and said that he was surprised and disappointed to hear the boos from the home town fansfor this great player, and wanted to console him, figuring he'd be down. But the grizzled old veteran future Hall of Famer turned to the young rookie and said to him " Thanks for your concern, but their boos are of no concern to me. Really. Just remember kid, they never boo a utilty player, and tomorrow they'll be on their feet for me ".

Edited by BRASSO

but if you ever reach a point where you're booing the kids, you need to go find something else to do because you're missing the point so badly you wouldn't "get it" if it was hammered into your skull with a mallet.

So very correct. There was a brief time not long after I aged out where I wasn't into drum corps design/politics/rule changes and I found myself sitting at shows and doing nothing but talking to friends and complaining about stuff. I stepped away from drum corps for a few seasons and came back in with a fresh mindset: appreciating all of the good, and kind of disregarding what I didn't like.

A. Some people like BD because they frequently win.

B. Some people always like BD regardless of their program.

C. Some people like BD but sometimes don't enjoy their program.

D. Some people don't like BD regardless of their program.

E. Some people don't like BD because they frequently win.

This list is not exhaustive or complete.

I think what most people find objectionable about Plan's argument is that he seems to want to shove nearly everyone

who doesn't agree with his assessment of a BD production into bin (E).

Personally I'm in bin ©.

See how that works. *I* get to decide how I feel.

It's pretty cool.

You can decide how you feel too!

It's a wonderful world.

As you should be. The ©lever bin is very exclusive! And I'm not certain who told you that you would be permitted to select your own bin, but they are sadly mistaken. As you correctly suggest....I select the bins around here! Now...keep this up and it's back to bin E for you Mister! (Say Hi to Ream in bin C please..... he's a bit of a bin-hopper)

I There is not a single performer out there that deserves "hate" for anything they do on the field.....that is patently insane.

When have we seen a lot of "hate for a Corps performers out there on the field field of competition " ? I'd imagine its proibably happened at some time, some where. But frankly, I havn't noticed much hate for marchers anywhere... including marchers in BD. Has this " hate " you are noticing led to any name calling when they are off field in uniform ? Any threats of harm or injuries to them ? Anybody walk up to them in uniform cursing them ? Where is this " hate " for marchers ? Is it perhaps a geographical thing in certain parts of the country, because I'm not seeing it at the shows I attend each year. I havn't seen marchers in uniform subjected to any hate at all the last dozen or so years. Is this perhaps a new breed of fans coming into looking to cause trouble ? Please enlighten me where marchers are getting a lot of hate from people somewhere these days.... or even on DCP for that matter.

Edited by BRASSO

So then you do not believe that BD got improved crowd approval last season because the crowd felt good about where BD was placing? It seemed to me the only time that the crowd didn't approve of BD last season were the two shows going into finals when BD won the shows... Everything was fine when BD was in 3rd anf 4th... It was when they snuck back into 2nd that things got heated up again. Anyone else recall this?

No. Actually, I was at the one late-season show where BD defeated both Cadets and Cavaliers (August 3, West Chester, PA, hosted by YEA!). The crowd response for BD seemed similar to what I heard for them in two other time zones that summer.

No. Actually, I was at the one late-season show where BD defeated both Cadets and Cavaliers (August 3, West Chester, PA, hosted by YEA!). The crowd response for BD seemed similar to what I heard for them in two other time zones that summer.

well they tore it up in Indy! I never remember a PA show responsive to a west coast corps.....doesnt really seem to matter anyway what a crowd does now does it. Doesn't seem to have hurt BD

From my observation, the Blue Devils Corps that finished 2nd last year at Finals, got a better hand at the shows I attended than for their shows the year before when they were undefeated. I do not attribute this at all to " placements", but rather to the better fan response to BD's show last year, than to their show the year before. BD got a better response in Allentown last year than the year before. If others see this as a " placement " issue, I take issue with that. By and large it was a function of the show's ability to reach the audience. Lets not get stuck in the deep weeds here as to why a show gets a good response one year and not in another year. This is not Rocket Science here. Audiences either like your show or they don't. Or maybe something in between. But its got little to do with how many titles you won since the 70's with most people in the audience except for a few jealous homers in the crowd that can't let go of their personal BD envy.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Well, take it from a vet (~20 years): anyone who EVER boos or bad-mouths a corps performance is a straight-up D-bag, period, the end.

Bingo. The LAST thing we'd want to see is DCI shows begin to look like a Baylor- Texas basketball game ( or pick your college teams, sports, etc ) where the opposing team's 18-22 year olders are subjected to a cascade of profanities, insults, booing, catcalls, you name it, etc by home town fans from the moment that team departs from the team bus outside the stadium parking lot... and until they leave the parking lot in those busses after the game. The good news here is that I suspect we'll never, ever see that sort of fan behaviour at DCI shows in the future.

Edited by BRASSO