What's with all the hate for BD

The Blue Devils = The "Tebow" of drum corps. :tongue: They are so good at what they do, controversy and hate is inevitable. It's true. :rock:

Tebow is a rookie that has had some good games and not so good games at QB. I'm not sure the many year champion Blue Devils and Tim Tebow are one and the same in this respect. And I don't see a lot of hate out there for Tim Tebow either. Sure, maybe a few atheists out there or whatever, but Tim Tebow is generally really admired in most quarters for how he conducts himself both on and off the field. I don't think of the Blue Devils when I think of Tim Tebow. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Edited by BRASSO

The Blue Devils = The "Tebow" of drum corps. :tongue: They are so good at what they do, controversy and hate is inevitable. It's true. :rock:

Methinks Crown = Tebow would make more sense: Some signs of brilliance, with passion on both sides, but hasn't really done anything except win a few close shows, still falling short.

The Blue Devils = The "Tebow" of drum corps. :tongue:

False.

I love BD. I usually didn't march in a lot of shows with them, so eventually in the season we would meet up and I would get my first taste of excellence that is BD. We used a similar visual program to BD, so it was like seeing what we would look like if we were perfect. Especially after watching corps like Cavaliers shamble all over the field.

I also love Crown '09. It's probably one of my favorite shows of all time. I remember hearing a lot of people saying they should have won. However, if you watch, BD was obviously in a different league visually. The same thing goes for 2010, which was arguable a harder show to get into (at least for me), but was probably even better (and especially compared to Mad World, probably my least favorite show of all time).

The reason BD lost two shows in three years ('08, '09, '10) is that they executed everything on a ridiculously high level. The guard has won the caption four years in a row? They should have won feet last year, but I think the judges saw the corps was just a little less talented than the previous couple years, and maybe Cadets needed that edge to win anyway (as they should have- Cadets last year were great. But definitely not on a visual level that BD or even Phantom and Crown were on).

Sometimes my friends and I joke that BD should be in Galaxy Class instead of World. Obviously, that's stupid, but with how good they look, it almost makes sense.

• Like 5

I BET THEY ARE GONNA H8T! blink.gif

THAT WAS A DEEP RESPONSE! I LIKE SHOUTING MY RESPONSE TOO.

I'm not sure what exactly this was suppose to mean. Care to shed any new light into it?

Thank you. smile.gif

I didn't know you can shout through typing things :rolleyes:

I think a lot of people don't like BD is because they are a lot more relaxed than other groups. you see all these other corps in the lot who stare straight ahead, walk in step with the person next to them, don't talk, don't laugh, don't have fun. when others see BD roll into the lot and come off the bus smiling, i guess they get a little uncomfortable with the thought that ITS JUST MARCHING BAND. fun is the reason why people do the activity, I know I wouldn't pay 3k to not have fun, if your into the hardcore, stick up the butt routine, good for you, don't bring down all the fun happening in blue land, or green land. I marched with a hardcore group and I didn't like it, at all. thats why I love BD, and Cavies imo. :)

• Like 2

I didn't know you can shout through typing things :rolleyes:

I think a lot of people don't like BD is because they are a lot more relaxed than other groups. you see all these other corps in the lot who stare straight ahead, walk in step with the person next to them, don't talk, don't laugh, don't have fun. when others see BD roll into the lot and come off the bus smiling, i guess they get a little uncomfortable with the thought that ITS JUST MARCHING BAND. fun is the reason why people do the activity, I know I wouldn't pay 3k to not have fun, if your into the hardcore, stick up the butt routine, good for you, don't bring down all the fun happening in blue land, or green land. I marched with a hardcore group and I didn't like it, at all. thats why I love BD, and Cavies imo. :)

You seem confused. You said here that marchers in all the other Corps besides the Blue Devils ( quote ) " don't have fun ". But then in the next sentence you state that " fun is the reason that people do the activity ". It might be helpful in the future to decide what you want to post, reread your comments in review, then if you are satisfied with it, post it then at that point. This will help you avoid submitting a rather confused and conflicted post on your behalf. ' Just a suggestion anyway. Also, you can project why you were unhappy marching a Corps. But frankly you are in no position to project onto others in the activity why they chose to march... and march with the Corps that they did, and presumbably had a much higher level of satisfaction with that experience than you did with that Corps. Thats frankly not in your domain to speak for them. Finally, I've read before that one of the reasons that the Blue Devils are so successful is that they are so Drum Corps " harcore " and outwork the others. I've seen BD marchers show huge emotion when they lose. And I understand that. They value more than " having fun ", as they would not purchase rings after winning. So you are kidding yourself if the BD would be ok if they lost because in the end " they had fun" at Finals. Com'on Man, you've got to be real on here, you know ?

Edited by BRASSO

You seem confused. You said here that marchers in all the other Corps besides the Blue Devils ( quote ) " don't have fun ". But then in the next sentence you state that " fun is the reason that people do the activity ". It might be helpful in the future to decide what you want to post, reread your comments in review, then if you are satisfied with it, post it then at that point. This will help you avoid submitting a rather confused and conflicted post on your behalf. ' Just a suggestion anyway. Also, you can project why you were unhappy marching a Corps. But frankly you are in no position to project onto others in the activity why they chose to march... and march with the Corps that they did, and presumbably had a much higher level of satisfaction with that experience than you did.

its actually the sentence after that I give a flawed statement ;) My real opinion in a non conflicting statement is that BD has their ways of working and is proven to work, in which the way they do things is non-traditional and unorthodox to older ways, which people have strong connections to those old traditions, which I guess upset some when they see a group like BD go out and win so much compared to X-corps who do things the "old fashioned" way. better?

• Like 2

its actually the sentence after that I give a flawed statement ;) My real opinion in a non conflicting statement is that BD has their ways of working and is proven to work, in which the way they do things is non-traditional and unorthodox to older ways, which people have strong connections to those old traditions, which I guess upset some when they see a group like BD go out and win so much compared to X-corps who do things the "old fashioned" way. better?

I like their show.... or I don't like their show.... or something in between. I don't care what their demeanor is when " they get off the bus ". Or any other Corps marchers demeanor when they " get off the bus " either. They can march into the stadium, or stroll into the stadium. I don't care. I don't pay to see how they get off a bus or get themselves onto the field.

Lets not get too deep and lost among the tangled weeds here with too much analysis on why BD sometimes is not the crowd favorite with their show with most people in national audiences.

Edited by BRASSO

I like their show.... or I don't like their show.... or something in between. I don't care what their demeanor is when " they get off the bus ". Or any other Corps marchers demeanor when they " get off the bus " either. They can march into the stadium, or stroll into the stadium. I don't care. I don't pay to see how they get off a bus or get themselves onto the field.

Lets not get too deep and lost among the tangled weeds here with too much analysis on why BD sometimes is not the crowd favorite with their show with most people in national audiences.

what i said applies to their show as well, the way BD moves is non-traditional, less group oriented and more individualistic. if you watch any of BD's shows from the last several years, they do a lot of individual movement, that's a lot more organic and expressive than the "bug squishing" feet thing thats become super popular now. moments that stick out in my mind that support this is the middle of their 11 show, all of the 2010 show, drum break of 09, ballad of 08, etc. watching other groups, their movement sections seem more rigid and controlled, less about expressing something and more worried about getting the counts right.