What's with all the hate for BD

Such is DCP, where nobody is allowed to share their opinions without incredible amounts of hate...

I made my "blanket statement" based on my experiences with all of the Blue Devils corps, I observed them and I came to my own conlclusion that they have rather less 'class' than other corps out there. Sure, I openly express my distaste for the Blue Devils, but it certainly isn't without reason.

I've come to a few conclusions about what personifies "classy" from this statement. Unfortunately, to compare and contrast them with a member in this forum them would close this thread. So I will remain censored.

Oh, boy, I'll disagree with you about the organization until I'm blue in the face. (Pun intended.) Not an ounce of class? You could have fooled me when they sent flowers to my mom's funeral, (along with Cadets, Jeff Fiedler, Cavaliers Alumni, DCI, WGI and BOA). Yeah, only a classless organization would do that. :sarcasm:

I'm guessing that you're comparing apples and oranges here. Looks to me like laser.lemon might be a recent age-out.

You...err....hrmrmr,,,well... are not a recent age-out :colgate:

I presume the admin of BD,Cadets,etc... sent those flowers to you. Folks who know you personally.

I'd guess that laser.lemon's experience was probably with marching members.

So *your* experience with the admin of those organizations might be considerably different than the laser.lemon's experiences (presumably member to member) with BD.

I'm not suggesting he's right or wrong -- but his perceptions most certainly come from a different place than yours.

• Like 3

I think that just about every corps who has won has had this happen to them. A few examples...

1.) The cadets win in '05. Many are angered by their show concept in '06. Fast forward to now.... and they're in favor (for now).

2.) Phantom wins with Spartacus. The following year everyone labels them as "never going to live up to last year's show"... I think we'll see them back in the top again shortly (just following historical factors).

3.) Every year Cavies win, we see many people come out of the woodwork claiming they have too many individual or technical flaws to win... yet they still win.

I know many on here can dig up 50 years of this happening. When a group wins or does well, others will criticize. I'll say openly that I personally did not like their show last year, but I know they'll eventually do a show I do like again. Time heals all wounds.

honestly, more of the to do about BD the last few years is more show than score

• Like 1

I'm guessing that you're comparing apples and oranges here. Looks to me like laser.lemon might be a recent age-out.

I presume the admin of BD,Cadets,etc... sent those flowers to you. Folks who know you personally.

So *your* experience with the admin of those organizations might be considerably different than the laser.lemon's experiences (presumably member to member) with BD.

I'm not suggesting he's right or wrong -- but his perceptions most certainly come from a different place than yours.

doesn't EVERYONE's perceptions come from a different place than Boo's?

:tongue:

• Like 1

Well he posts here so regularly that some might forget his über-celeb status in the world of pageantry. cool.gif

he's a celebrity?

Well he posts here so regularly that some might forget his über-celeb status in the world of pageantry. cool.gif

I agree with Jeff. I'm no celebrity. Celebrities are people with limitless amounts of talent who do wonderful things for society, like the Kardashians. :tongue:

He wrote, "...I observed them and I came to my own conclusion that they have rather less 'class' than other corps out there. Sure, I openly express my distaste for the Blue Devils, but it certainly isn't without reason."

I've also observed them and come to my own conclusions over the past 37 years. Sure, I openly express my admiration for the Blue Devils, but it certainly isn't without reason. I've also seen the entire corps, just after winning a World Championship in Pasadena, put their own celebration on hold to shake hands with two Marines on leave from Iraq who were getting ready to return to deployment. (Link to article.)

That had an everlasting impression on me. Those kids on the field were not people that knew me. My name wasn't mentioned at all. Such actions do not demonstrate a total lack of class.

What demonstrates a total lack of class is coming on a public forum and tarring an entire corps with the accusation that its members have no class...not to mention dragging another corps into the fray by having an avatar of that other corps' uniform, (whether that person is a member of that corps or not).

• Like 2

doesn't EVERYONE's perceptions come from a different place than Boo's?

My perceptions come from Taco Bell. I thought everyone's did. :cool:

I know a lot of recent marching members who get angry that they rehearse less than everyone else. And it seems like they goof off more than actually do drum corps. However, they can get away with this, because of the talent they bring in and they rehearse very effectively. Also... their drill doesn't quite have the demand of the shows around them. Which is part of the reason they move so well.

I personally respect the way they perform. I don't like the shows and the path the design staff has taken the shows over the years. I"m not entertained by their shows. Yes, this past season I can actually listen to their show... I don't skip it in a playlist the way I have in past years. I wish they would go back to in your face shows like they had in the beginning of the last decade. 2003 is a kick ### show. They marched very well, had a pretty demanding show, and it was extremely entertaining. Why can't they do something like that? You can still win a championship and be entertaining at the same time. See 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011. (Just winning shows since 2000 that seemed to be considered entertaining by most people I talk to. My perception... )

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 1