What's with all the hate for BD

what i said applies to their show as well, the way BD moves is non-traditional, less group oriented and more individualistic. if you watch any of BD's shows from the last several years, they do a lot of individual movement, that's a lot more organic and expressive than the "bug squishing" feet thing thats become super popular now. moments that stick out in my mind that support this is the middle of their 11 show, all of the 2010 show, drum break of 09, ballad of 08, etc. watching other groups, their movement sections seem more rigid and controlled, less about expressing something and more worried about getting the counts right.

Didn't much care for their show at all in 2010. Last year was a bit better bang for my buck from them. I always keep an open mind. I'm hoping I'll enjoy their show this year more than I have the last few years. I do not respond well to snippet playing or " bullet playing " as I call it where they play a few stanzas of a likeable piece, where they draw me in, but then they abruptly cut it short and go to the next dot visually on the field. Its a very uneven performance that does not flow as smoothly for me as I'd prefer. Its a chop and bop. But thats just me and my personal take here on them too. Others might feel differently, and thats cool too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Didn't much care for their show at all in 2010. Last year was a bit better bang for my buck from them. I always keep an open mind. I'm hoping I'll enjoy their show this year more than I have the last few years. I do not respond well to snippet playing or " bullet playing " as I call it where they play a few stanzas of a likeable piece, where they draw me in, but then they abruptly cut it short and go to the next dot visually on the field. Its a very uneven performance that does not flow as smoothly for me as I'd prefer. Its a chop and bop. But thats just me and my personal take here on them too. Others might feel differently, and thats cool too.

I think it depends on how you "chop and bop". I thought the way Cadets merged two hymns together last year was genius and even though I waited for one idea to finish that never did, I was completely drawn to the moment when both the angels and demons came together on the same melody at the end. Genius!

You seem confused. You said here that marchers in all the other Corps besides the Blue Devils ( quote ) " don't have fun ". But then in the next sentence you state that " fun is the reason that people do the activity ". It might be helpful in the future to decide what you want to post, reread your comments in review, then if you are satisfied with it, post it then at that point. This will help you avoid submitting a rather confused and conflicted post on your behalf. ' Just a suggestion anyway. Also, you can project why you were unhappy marching a Corps. But frankly you are in no position to project onto others in the activity why they chose to march... and march with the Corps that they did, and presumbably had a much higher level of satisfaction with that experience than you did with that Corps. Thats frankly not in your domain to speak for them. Finally, I've read before that one of the reasons that the Blue Devils are so successful is that they are so Drum Corps " harcore " and outwork the others. I've seen BD marchers show huge emotion when they lose. And I understand that. They value more than " having fun ", as they would not purchase rings after winning. So you are kidding yourself if the BD would be ok if they lost because in the end " they had fun" at Finals. Com'on Man, you've got to be real on here, you know ?

Every corps that wins gets rings, not just the Blue Devils. In fact, the corps pays for the rings instead of the members. Let's be real, the Blue Devils pride themselves on being the best, stop using their success against them.

• 1 month later...

BD as a performing ensemble, love them!!! However, Gibbs as an architect with Hopkins on the egotistical, arrogant, self-righteous G7 proposal which spit on most other corps was, and is, my point of contention.

Have to agree with you 100%, just for the last 5 yrs or so on this point. Time... I believe... will get rid of the sick feeling I have had about that whole fiasco.

Back in the day when I was marching (81 thru 89) it was never a hate thing, which today I still dont think it is a hate, but a want. I was always amazed at how good they were year in and year out, and I still am. For me it was always lets say something to strive for... to be the best, you have to beat the best... as a goal, The Blue Devils were the Corps to beat. IMO they still are.

Toe me, it seems that a lot of people don't like them just because they are good.

Personally, I don't like them because I do not find their style of music the least bit appealing, and because the entire Blue Devils organization does not strike me as having an ounce of class... I respect their accomplishments and their record, but I do not respect the way they go about things, regardless of the result.

• Like 1

<because the entire Blue Devils organization does not strike me as having an ounce of class... >

Well...I certainly hope that avatar picture you have is NOT you, and that you're not speaking as a member/veteran of the Bluecoats...

I can easily believe you've run into classless moments with the Blue Devils, or classless members of the Blue Devils...just as I can easily believe that members of other corps have their classless moments. They are, after all, young.

But to make such a blanket statement as you have....that is...well, hate.

• Like 3

I think that just about every corps who has won has had this happen to them. A few examples...

1.) The cadets win in '05. Many are angered by their show concept in '06. Fast forward to now.... and they're in favor (for now).

2.) Phantom wins with Spartacus. The following year everyone labels them as "never going to live up to last year's show"... I think we'll see them back in the top again shortly (just following historical factors).

3.) Every year Cavies win, we see many people come out of the woodwork claiming they have too many individual or technical flaws to win... yet they still win.

I know many on here can dig up 50 years of this happening. When a group wins or does well, others will criticize. I'll say openly that I personally did not like their show last year, but I know they'll eventually do a show I do like again. Time heals all wounds.

• Like 1

Toe me, it seems that a lot of people don't like them just because they are good.

Personally, I don't like them because I do not find their style of music the least bit appealing, and because the entire Blue Devils organization does not strike me as having an ounce of class... I respect their accomplishments and their record, but I do not respect the way they go about things, regardless of the result.

one season marching DCI - $2000

plane tickets to winter camps - $2000

publicly bashing a corps without reason (with a clearly affiliated avatar) - classless

• Like 3

Such is DCP, where nobody is allowed to share their opinions without incredible amounts of hate...

I made my "blanket statement" based on my experiences with all of the Blue Devils corps, I observed them and I came to my own conlclusion that they have rather less 'class' than other corps out there. Sure, I openly express my distaste for the Blue Devils, but it certainly isn't without reason.

• Like 3

Oh, boy, I'll disagree with you about the organization until I'm blue in the face. (Pun intended.) Not an ounce of class? You could have fooled me when they sent flowers to my mom's funeral, (along with Cadets, Jeff Fiedler, Cavaliers Alumni, DCI, WGI and BOA). Yeah, only a classless organization would do that. :sarcasm:

• Like 1