Origin of the "BAC" reference.

Recently receieved an e-mail explaining how BAC began.

I quote:

"In 1957 the H.P,(Hyde Park) Crusader color guard was competing in a show which took place at a gym on mission hill in Roxbury M.A.. The color guard was outside being harassed by a gang of thug's from Roxbury. Members of the male portion of the drum corp were outnumbered but were able to attack the thugs from all sides. Kicked the crap out of them. A member of Holy Trinity who witnessed the fight told some of the gang members not to get their friends as these guys were bad asss Crusaders from the H.P. part of Boston. Thus the acronym BAC.

The term was further legitimized as follows: In my brothers words.

We were nicknamed BAC during the 57 season and the name really stuck when at the Fitchburg contest, after a rain delay, Jack Whalen (usually a timing/penalty judge), using the loud speaker system asked the members of BAC to please step back off the track because the contest was going to resume.(Almost our entire corps was gathered on the track behind the judges table. So when about 30 members in Hyde Park Red and black uniforms moved off the track in unison,everyone at the contest knew who BAC was and the name stuck.)

Let's put to bed the PC Boston Area Crusaders/Corps.

Edited by Ghost

Let's put to bed the PC Boston Area Crusaders/Corps.

I agree. First of all, that interpretation of the " BAC " handle no longer makes any sense anymore as hardly anybody in the Corps is from " the Boston Area " . So most people HAVE "put this to bed". Some however are stuck in the 50's with this silly stuff re.nicknames. But its gone. As it should be. And most have moved on from this. Corps now... in todays DCI... are named by where they primarily get the bulk of their FUNDS to run their Corps.( not where their marchers are FROM. (Today, marchers in DCI Corps come from all over the world ) So to that extent, the " Boston Crusaders " are still correctly called the " Boston Crusaders ". It is still the generosity of benefactors from primarily the Boston area donating funds, that has allowed the Corps to survive and to compete into this day. The process of the Boston Crusaders securing marchers from outside of the Hyde Park section of the city of Boston began in the late 50's, into the 60's, broadened out to other suburban areas outside Boston in the 70's, then they became regional and national in the 80's, 90's, and now it is truly a " WORLD Class Drum Corps with marchers from all over the world that come to march, proudly wearing the traditional, time honored colors of the Red and Black of the Boston Crusaders. The irony of all this is that if some of those " ###### Crusaders " from 1957 are still alive today, we're more apt to find them living today not in the " Hyde Park section of Boston", but retired in...........Florida.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

You're correct B how the Saders (and most corps) have marching members from many countries. This post was submitted because there have been very few years where someone hasn't asked what BAC stands for or how it came about. My friends e-mail corrected my thoughts as to how it began. Every corps has a history and prides themselves on talking about it to potential members. I imagine other corps who have been around for 40 plus years, especially those who began in large cities, have had some rough edges that are best left in the past.

• Like 1

You're correct B how the Saders (and most corps) have marching members from many countries. This post was submitted because there have been very few years where someone hasn't asked what BAC stands for or how it came about. My friends e-mail corrected my thoughts as to how it began. Every corps has a history and prides themselves on talking about it to potential members. I imagine other corps who have been around for 40 plus years, especially those who began in large cities, have had some rough edges that are best left in the past.

I think its appropriate to share with others the hard, gritty, and challenging environmental setting and beginnings of this Corps. On any number of occasions in its 60 year history by all measures BAC looked for certain that it was going to fold. The fact that it did not succumb to that, is a testament to its ( pardon the pun) " Conquest " of those obstacles and challenges.

Edited by BRASSO

...Let's put to bed the PC Boston Area Crusaders/Corps.

Agreed. Everybody in Drum Corps who's been around awhile knows what the BAC acronym really means.

I grew up in the Roslindale section of Boston, adjacent to Hyde Park and the Most Precious Blood parish. I also marched in the era where corps pride stood above all else. We were local kids and stayed local. Occasionally, we'd have a kid move in from out of state to march - but it was rare.

I always remember seeing the back of the red BAC equipment truck - the "Old English" font - the pride and fear that it presented to those of us "young" kids that knew what it meant when we were in smaller, CYO programs.

I for one, truly believe that we have a responsibility to teach history to our young people. Without the knowledge of our past, we are condemned to repeat the mistakes of others. I would hope every member of Boston would be made aware of the history, the struggles, the transitions, the failures and successes of past corps - so that they can continue with the rich and proud traditions for future members.

40 years ago, a 27th Lancer would never write something in support of BAC and vice versa. Times have changed, but Boston is still alive !!!

I know people who marched with Boston Crusaders and 27th about thirty years ago, and I remember rather heated discussions from one corps about the other. I remember telling one person who marched with BAC I wanted to get right home from school to see the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. Let’s just say she asked why as if she didn’t know who was going to be performing in Lake Placid that afternoon. While the rivalry was deep, I did see a Kumbaya moment between two members of both corps. I went to a friend’s sister’s wedding and her husband had two cousins, one on his mother’s side and the other on his father’s. One marched with 27th, the other BAC. The common ground? Let’s just say neither member had a great deal of love for a certain rival corps whose home base was located about fifteen miles north of Hyde Park and five or so miles north of Revere.

Also, I am convinced that many people support Boston Crusaders today because of admiration of their pluck and survival as well as their rich history. If I were told only one corps would still be competing in 2012, I would have predicted 27th would be the sole survivor. Those of us who love the legacy of drum corps in Massachusetts are pleased to support BAC whether it be through donations, attending shows, or other means and it’s a salute not just to BAC, but to all the great Bay Sate corps, and the 27th Lancers are a huge part of that proud history. I’d also have to include North Star, St. Kevin’s (though I know I saw them perform, I’m too young to really remember them but many years later I taught seventh and eighth grade at the school and from time to time came across Emerald Knights memorabilia), IC Reveries, Sancians, HF Defenders, and too many others to name as great Massachusetts corps of happy memory.

I grew up in the Roslindale section of Boston, adjacent to Hyde Park and the Most Precious Blood parish. I also marched in the era where corps pride stood above all else. We were local kids and stayed local. Occasionally, we'd have a kid move in from out of state to march - but it was rare.

I always remember seeing the back of the red BAC equipment truck - the "Old English" font - the pride and fear that it presented to those of us "young" kids that knew what it meant when we were in smaller, CYO programs.

I for one, truly believe that we have a responsibility to teach history to our young people. Without the knowledge of our past, we are condemned to repeat the mistakes of others. I would hope every member of Boston would be made aware of the history, the struggles, the transitions, the failures and successes of past corps - so that they can continue with the rich and proud traditions for future members.

40 years ago, a 27th Lancer would never write something in support of BAC and vice versa. Times have changed, but Boston is still alive !!!

Edited by Tim K

I think its appropriate to share with others the hard, gritty, and challenging environmental setting and beginnings of this Corps. On any number of occasions in its 60 year history by all measures BAC looked for certain that it was going to fold. The fact that it did not succumb to that, is a testament to its ( pardon the pun) " Conquest " of those obstacles and challenges.

I really don't have much to say beyond the fact that I just love when someone posts a line that totally encompasses not only the spirit of the subject but also gives an historic nod to one of the all time best OTL performances and in doing that causes us to remember one of the all time great solo soprano players of our era. All in one sentence. To me, that is one Bad Axxed Corps reference. :thumbup:

My family (all 7 kids) started in the marching arts with St. Agnes C.Y.O. bands in Arlington, Massachusetts. The legendary Ed Denon taught school at St Agnes School and directed our bands while he was also instructing the Boston Crusaders. After St Agnes band finished rehearsals, the Crusaders would practice after us in the same school hall.

One afternoon, my mother asked "Mr. Denon" what "B.A.C." stood for.

Ed replied: "Boston's Articulate Crusaders, Mrs. Sullivan."

Mom replied" Oh, good. I was afraid it meant something crude like Bad-Asss Crusaders."

Ed later told us that the "Articulate" reponse was the "party line" when explaining it to members of the clergy or anxious mothers.

eddenonlg.jpg

Edited by Navillus WP
  • Like 3