Old shows made new

What shows or music from years past would you want to see/hear performed with todays level of MM's , designers and writers? With the improvements or changes in instrumentation, added instrument voicing, drill design, guard abilities, etc., what would be most interesting to see re-done? Not by any particular corps but what show or particular tune itself? Maybe see and hear what Fiddler on the Roof would be like today. I'd also like to hear what BD's Legend of the One Eyed Sailor would sound like. Maybe Argonne Rebels old show with Fanfare for the New done with todays quality of player?

I'd really like to see Phantom bring a modern take to the Nutcracker/their 87 Winter Palace Show, and to see Cadets revisit Les Miz

• Like 3

Lots of very current answers to basically the same question: Here!

• Like 1

What shows or music from years past would you want to see/hear performed with todays level of MM's , designers and writers? With the improvements or changes in instrumentation, added instrument voicing, drill design, guard abilities, etc., what would be most interesting to see re-done? Not by any particular corps but what show or particular tune itself? Maybe see and hear what Fiddler on the Roof would be like today. I'd also like to hear what BD's Legend of the One Eyed Sailor would sound like. Maybe Argonne Rebels old show with Fanfare for the New done with todays quality of player?

None. Let the past be the past and let corps explore new charts/concepts. I don't have a problem with corps playing already-established charts (LOVED SCV doing Appalachian Spring a few years ago, Phantom obviously had success modernizing Spartacus), but it seems like more often than not when a corps tries to recapture old glory it typically doesn't work out: or at the very least it rarely matches the quality/wow-factor of the original.

Just my opinion; I know it's fun to bat around ideas and play the "wouldn't it be cool if Corps X play chart Y again?" In response to you wanting to see Blue Devils play 'Legend' again, they frequently do that in stand-still/concert settings. I saw them in 99 play that chart as a standstill, and it freaking blew me away! Phantom constantly plays old charts in concert settings, Cadets play older stuff (Rocky Point, Hymnsong, etc), SCV at least used to, etc. That type of stuff is a nice compromise to delivering the classics to fans while also doing new stuff on the field.

• Like 1

Bring back some of the magic from 1989 - SCV bring back Phantom of the Opera and PR bring back New World Symphony.

Keep the props and the music.

Expand on the visual and add some synth sounds.

....it could be competitive again!

I would not want to see SCV bring back Phantom of the Opera: it would see so cliche'/old-hat and seemingly go against what the corps stands for (being on the forefront of the activity).

Phantom Regiment, on the other hand, seems to have a knack recently for reinventing the classics, and they might make a great show out of 'New World Symphony.'

edit

*yes, I do realize what I say above seemingly contradicts what I said in another post. I do think that Phantom has found a great way to bring back classics, but for the most part other corps historically have not

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 1

I’d like to see a re-do of the year 1980, sort of a drum corps compulsory. They would need to keep the original music books (exception made for tempos but no watering parts) and can do whatever they want on the visuals

A corps would have dibs on their original show but they could swap with another corps if both agreed. Or if a corps wasn’t in finals in 1980 they’d be allowed to take on a now defunct corps' show if they felt their own 1980 show wasn’t finals worthy now (Boston could do 1980's Rivermens show instead of their 1980 show, Bluecoats could do the Sky Ryders show…..) and corps that came into being after 1980 would get to pick from the remaining shows of defunct corps (Crown could do 27, if it was still on the table as the newer, post 1980 corps get to pick last

Might make the winter meeting interesting

I’d like to see a re-do of the year 1980, sort of a drum corps compulsory. They would need to keep the original music books (exception made for tempos but no watering parts) and can do whatever they want on the visuals

A corps would have dibs on their original show but they could swap with another corps if both agreed. Or if a corps wasn’t in finals in 1980 they’d be allowed to take on a now defunct corps' show if they felt their own 1980 show wasn’t finals worthy now (Boston could do 1980's Rivermens show instead of their 1980 show, Bluecoats could do the Sky Ryders show…..) and corps that came into being after 1980 would get to pick from the remaining shows of defunct corps (Crown could do 27, if it was still on the table as the newer, post 1980 corps get to pick last

Might make the winter meeting interesting

Heck, make them do the drill and guard work too.

If you van find any current guard members that have even heard of, let alone know, the Manual of Arms...

89 Cadets. Les Miserables.

• Like 3