Malaga vs Malaguena

First whats the difference and second which one do you prefer?

What drum corps fans generally think of when they hear "Malagueña" is the Bill Holman arrangement written for the Kenton Band, based on a traditional Spanish-inspired melody of Ernesto Lecuona. (I've seen references to "Malaga" being "arranged" by Holman, but I've always known it to be original. If it isn't, someone please correct me.)

• Like 1

Malaguena is Ernesto Leucoma, but arranged for Kenton by Bill Holman.

Malaga was written at close to the same time by Holman, IIRC for the Kenton band originally.

Malaguena features musical themes based on Latin American music, while Malaga is based on similar style music from the Andalucian region of souther Spain.

I prefer Malaga myself!

I have copies of the original Kenton and Holman of both, they are a ton of fun to play, though fewer people seem to know Malaga.

Edited by Soprano Martin
  • Like 2

What drum corps fans generally think of when they hear "Malagueña" is the Bill Holman arrangement written for the Kenton Band, based on a traditional Spanish-inspired melody of Ernesto Lecuona. (I've seen references to "Malaga" being "arranged" by Holman, but I've always known it to be original. If it isn't, someone please correct me.)

We replied at the same time it seems!

You are correct, Holman did WRITE the original Malaga, and edit it just for the Kenton orchestra. I have that original chart and the score for the Kenton version

The original Malaguena melody is indeed by Ernesto Lecuona, but the arrangement Kenton made famous is originally by Johnny Richards.

Edited by Soprano Martin

Never been to Malaguena but it sounds lovely!

Oh, hold on.... ph34r.gif

Well, it all depends on who she is. :ph34r:

We replied at the same time it seems!

You are correct, Holman did WRITE the original Malaga, and edit it just for the Kenton orchestra. I have that original chart and the score for the Kenton version

The original Malaguena melody is indeed by Ernesto Lecuona, but the arrangement Kenton made famous is originally by Johnny Richards.

I can find nothing that verifies Malagueña was arranged by anyone other than Holman.