2011 DCI Chamionships DVD

How can DCI sell a product that's been butchered like the 2011 DCI Chamionships DVD has been? At $100.00 a pop and to have parts of the shows blacked out?

Take it up with the corps not getting the proper licensing for the music they're putting on the field.

Also, see here.

• Like 6

How can DCI sell a product that's been butchered like the 2011 DCI Chamionships DVD has been? At $100.00 a pop and to have parts of the shows blacked out?

An old argument but I do agree with you.

I've said in many topics that DCI should be obligated to make sure their premium end of season product (the Blu-Ray/DVD) is 100% complete.

There's a lot of debate over who's responsible for what i.e. securing rights etc. but for me it's DCI's name that's on the product and it's DCI who are selling it so it should be DCI that take that responsibility.

• Like 1

An old argument but I do agree with you.

I've said in many topics that DCI should be obligated to make sure their premium end of season product (the Blu-Ray/DVD) is 100% complete.

There's a lot of debate over who's responsible for what i.e. securing rights etc. but for me it's DCI's name that's on the product and it's DCI who are selling it so it should be DCI that take that responsibility.

Giving DCI the last word would lead to DCI deciding how a corps programs its own shows.

And for me, drum corps is a "live" experience above all else. DCI's premium, end of season product is finals night.

• Like 1

Giving DCI the last word would lead to DCI deciding how a corps programs its own shows.

Since DCI IS the corps, I don't think that's too far out there. Also, it would be more DCI deciding to ensure that their corps 1) don't violate copyright law (which they've been doing) AND 2) have complete shows on the DVD's (which DCI has not been doing so well the last five or so years). Instead of "DCI deciding how a corps programs its own shows" it would be more akin to "DCI deciding that its member corps are not permitted to perform pieces they can obtain all necessary copyright clearances for." That's obviously easier said than done, and to be fair the majority of corps do a good job of complying (in 2011 we had three quarters of the Finalist shows that were cleared), but this problem is seemingly growing and I don't think it would be bad for DCI to be more proactive.

And for me, drum corps is a "live" experience above all else. DCI's premium, end of season product is finals night.

That might be true to an extent, but DCI's largest merchandising comes from end-of-the-year DVD/Blu-ray sales as well as their Fan Network subscriptions. If more fans become irate over consecutive years of fan-favorite shows being censored/incomplete, DCI will lose money.

• Like 1

If by that you mean DCI would stop several minutes of nothing appearing on the DVD/Blu-Ray then so be it.

I suspect DCI will be reactive on this rather than proactive so I doubt they'll do anything until DVD/Blu-Ray sales fall.

• Like 1

How can DCI sell a product that's been butchered like the 2011 DCI Championships DVD has been? At $100.00 a pop and to have parts of the shows blacked out?

If it's Madison's closer you are referring to, I would much rather they black out the visual and keep the audio than mute the audio and keep the video. With that closer, it was all about the music anyway and very little about the visual. I have no complaints. I'm very happy with my DVDs. By the way, the sound quality seems much better this year than previous years. Not that I haven't liked the audio in the past, but something about this year's just sounds better to my ears,

Take it up with the corps not getting the proper licensing for the music they're putting on the field.[/url].

The individual corps shouldn't be responsible for obtaining the sync licenses; they don't produce the DVDs. They get all the rights they need to.

• Like 2

The individual corps shouldn't be responsible for obtaining the sync licenses; they don't produce the DVDs. They get all the rights they need to.

If the individual corps wants their entire performance on the video product at the end of the year, they should probably check to make sure the syncing rights are available.

Call me crazy, but I don't think DCI has free reign over acquiring what rights it desires or has the power to steamroll record labels, publishers, and/or artists to get them.