To College Music Majors

I'm still waiting for the "REALLY IMPORTANT EPIPHANY," but it may be when we all realize we've been hoodwinked into believing the OP is serious when in reality he's been pulling our collective chains.

I would like to challenge, maybe request is a better word, that every music major in a Drum Corps go to their music dean and ask them about starting a university drum corps If you have to go to the bathroom then go ahead if you might have to

If only he had stopped right about here.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm a music major in the percussion studio of my University as part of my composition degree. I can tell you for a fact that the percussion faculty at my school openly derides drum corps and marching percussion because the fundamentals of the technique used both in the front ensemble and in the battery are counter intuitive to an orchestral technique. It's a completely different type of stroke and approach to the instrument than playing in an orchestra, and when students are paying tens of thousands of dollars for an orchestral education, anything that diverts you from the path is seen as a distraction.

The one thing drum corps gives you is monster chops. However in terms of technique, it's a step backwards from an orchestral education.

The percussion faculty at my University (and others in my area) urge the students not to participate in drum corps unless they are able to smoothly transition from drum corps technique to orchestral technique, something that's not as easy as it sounds.

.....however really, this is a small part of the bigger clusterfunk that is your over arching argument, and I probably shouldn't have wasted the energy required to reply to you....oh well.

oh, you kidder..... all college professors LOVE drum corps. Especially the ones that make thousands of extra dollars playing for ensembles and want their students to do the same. But wait..... Drum Corps doesn't pay it's members? Oh what a shame.... ;)

when did success, striving to be the best, education, money, goals all become a dirty word. Seems like a trend in many areas.It used to be admired.Seems fashionable to use catch words like elitists, morfing,and many others. It used to be what this country was built on and admired.Just a thought. Oh well :lookaround:

Edited by GUARDLING

when did success, stiving to be the best, education, money, goals all become a dirty word. Seems like a trend in many areas.It used to be admired.Seems fashionable to use catch words like elitists, morfing,and many others. It used to be what this country was built on and admired.Just a thought. Oh well :lookaround:

I totally agree. This is well said.

Drum Corps are private semi-autonomous orginizations that aren't affiliated with schools or universities and I think they prefer it that way. For most kids it's the first opportunity they have to participate in an activity outside of school and they cherish it. They neither want nor need some school administrator bossing them around all the time. They get enough of that. They'll listen to any Drum Corps instructor before they listen to any college dean or music professer. You can count on it.

Edited by Piper

Scoring system article in about two weeks depending on library order filling time.

I can hardly wait!

At what point does someone step in and say this illogical mess is completely devoid of merit as an argument and as a series of postings?

At what point does someone step in and say this illogical mess is completely devoid of merit as an argument and as a series of postings?

I'd say just about an hour and a half ago.

• Like 1