Accent Marching Academy

Well, how about promising many corps members employment (which some of the counted on to pay dues) and then failing to come through on any of them (or even answering email from said corps members).?

Are you one of said corps members reporting this to have happened?

Or are you just speculating based on the fact that many of the Accent Staff listings appear to be current corp members?

Edited by corpsband

There's a big difference between being skeptical and unfounded speculation.

I have my doubts about Accent Marching (mostly based on their track record with Eklipse).

But I don't have any actual information to prove they're "breaking promises". Do you?

Has there been a single person who's come forward saying " I signed up for this event . They took my money. But no one showed up." ?

I'm all for reporting FACTS but there's been very little of that going on in this thread. Mostly just speculation and inferences and hyperbole and (like my earlier message pointed out) some things that aren't true.

As for being an apologist -- I'd like you to show me where I apologized for any of their behavior or publicly retract the accusation.

> I'm all for reporting FACTS but there's been very little of that going on in this thread.

Ok, here are some FACTS: Their website claims, and I quote, "We do not promise what we cannot deliver"; "We understand that positive experiences are not built from broken vows"; "We do promise a weekend of artistic growth and leadership potential"; "We have worked for nearly a year to put the first annual Accent Marching Academy together in such a way that each student chosen to participate is rewarded with maximum returns on their time and effort"; and their Feb 10 - 12 Camp in Atlanta (did not happen) as well as Feb 17 - 19 Camp in Miami (did not happen). There are some FACTS.

> But I don't have any actual information to prove they're "breaking promises". Do you?

Yes; they *promised* a camp Feb 10 - 12 with a plethora of high caliber instructors in Atlanta (which did not happen), and *promised* a camp Feb 17 - 19 with a plethora of high caliber instructors in Miami (which also did not happen), and they are promising many more camps in many other cities. They claim that they do not promise what they cannot deliver. I really think that qualifies as "broken promises".

> I'd like you to show me where I apologized for any of their behavior or publicly retract the accusation

Dictionary definition of Apologist: "One who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something (Webster's Dictionary)" And you did write in their defense by coming up with possible, although improbable, reasons they are just not hitting on all cylinders as a start-up. So, I did not mean that you were apologizing for their behavior, but used the word properly as in the dictionary definition.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

I have my doubts about Accent Marching (mostly based on their track record with Eklipse).

For the record, the corps in question was Eclipse with a "C." Eclipse with a "K" was the corps in 2003 from the neighboring state of Kentucky that made it as far as the Midwest Championship in DeKalb. Some may remember the corps for the photos that widely circulated of them utilizing Sousaphones because their bell-front horns hadn't come in yet. (They received permission from DCI for that...It was felt it was better for people to see Sousaphones on the field than to not see a new corps that had been working hard to make the field.) Eklipse placed 3rd out of 12 corps in the Division III Championship.

> I'd like you to show me where I apologized for any of their behavior or publicly retract the accusation

Dictionary definition of Apologist: "One who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something (Webster's Dictionary)" And you did write in their defense by coming up with possible, although improbable, reasons they are not hitting on all cylinders as a start-up.

Hardly qualifies. I'm hardly in a position to defend Accent when I have very few facts and neither do you! I merely pointed that "I DON"T KNOW" what's going on and that assuming the worst -- while popular -- is not always true.

Does it appear (based solely on their website content) that things are not off to great start? Absolutely.

Is website content always accurate? Apparently your standard is that websites are never inaccurate.

Does that make them liars and cheats? Apparently you think it does.

Will this turn out badly for Accent? It seems likely....

BUT

I'm willing to wait until there are actually some facts to discuss.

If students come forward and say "these bad guys took my money but didn't teach me" then unfortunately things look grim for Mr. Nagy.

Equally if their "staff" comes forward and says "these are bad guys" ditto.

But AFAICS neither of these things have happened. (yet)

In fact most of what happened is you repeating the same copy/pasted marketing spiel from their site and then posting (rhetorically apparently") "What about those broken promises?" all hinged on the idea that they've cancelled their first couple events.

Does canceling those events make them "bad guys" ?

Potentially.

But I'll wait until I've heard about some actual malfeasance before I call someone a crook.

Edited by corpsband

Hardly qualifies. I'm hardly in position to defend Accent when I have very few facts.

I merely pointed that "I DON"T KNOW" what's going on.

Does it appear (based solely on their website content) that things are not off to great start? Absolutely.

Is website content always accurate? Apparently your standard is that websites are never inaccurate.

Does that make them liars and cheats? Apparently you think it does.

Will this turn out badly Accent? It seems likely....

BUT

I'm willing to wait until there are actually some facts to discuss.

If students come forward and say "these are bad guys" then unfortunately things look grim for Mr. Nagy.

Equally if their "staff" comes forward and says "these are bad guys" ditto.

But AFAICS neither of these things have happened. (yet)

In fact most of what happened is you repeating the same copy/pasted marketing spiel from their site and then posting (rhetorically apparently") "What about those broken promises?" all hinged on the idea that they've cancelled their first couple events.

Does canceling those events make them "bad guys" ?

Potentially.

But I'll wait until I've heard about some actual malfeasance before I call someone a crook.

So, what you are saying is that even though many promises have been broken (again just like 2010), and that they are breaking their own website vows (again just like 2010), that conclusions cannot be made this time around based on their 2010 fiasco which was also a horrible list of broken promises? Interesting; but that sounds like defending them to me.

• Like 1

So, what you are saying is that even though many promises have been broken (again just like 2010), and that they are breaking their own website vows (again just like 2010), that conclusions cannot be made this time around based on their 2010 fiasco which was also a horrible list of broken promises? Interesting; but that sounds like defending them to me.

Is english a second language for you?

If you feel an absolute need to paraphrase my POV, here you go:

things don't look good. but i'm not quite ready to string 'em up.

• Like 2

Is english a second language for you?

If you feel an absolute need to paraphrase my POV, here you go:

things don't look good. but i'm not quite ready to string 'em up.

Ok, if you are not ready to "string em up" then you would have no problem recommending to a kid and their parents to go ahead and sign up for an upcoming camp as well as fork over the $400+ registration fee.

Ok, if you are not ready to "string em up" then you would have no problem recommending to a kid and their parents to go ahead and sign up for an upcoming camp as well as fork over the $400+ registration fee.

Really? Conveniently ignoring "things don't look good" huh? That selective reading really comes in handy.

Clearly you're determined so have at it:

HG1va.jpg

you get your rope, find a tree and string that varmint up !

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2