Accent Marching Academy

Chris came to Brian and offered him a partnership due to his father being the former CEO of Pepsi, Rick Poillon. They moved the company to North Carolina, where it currently resides. The company was formed through the state of Delaware to help with tax purposes.

Seems they do have good guidance and will be improving. BTW - Rick was the President/CEO of Pepsi Bottling Ventures, which is not PepsiCo, but an independent licensed bottler of Pepsi products (a big one at that).

If he is guiding these kids... there is nothing to worry about here at all. It seems he is retired, so hopefully they are able to get some of his time and input.

Knowing this, people should simply offer some suggestions and lay off.

Haha Michael, kids especially love the 15 minutes of fame, lol.

...He said, they understand that there are problems with the company, which is why they are pushing back the dates of camps, changing the price, and rethinking the way the website flows.

For the love of God, I hope they don't get rid of the free parking. :shutup:

• Like 1

I think we all have the same concerns. As musicians, educators, and parents, it is our right to make sure that things are on the up and up. I think that if this was meant to be fraudulent, it was extremely stupid. I however, feel that the best intentions were probably behind this endeavor, which is why I feel that as it is our right to make sure this is on the up and up, it is also our right to help make this a success. We all have criticisms that should be forwarded to their office so necessary changes can be made.

I called their office today, and saw that they had shut down the office for a few days preparing and assembling equipment. I received a call back from Brian, their COO, and he began to explain and fill in a lot of the holes of information we had been missing. He stated that the company began in Los Angeles (aka why is Facebook said LA). Chris came to Brian and offered him a partnership due to his father being the former CEO of Pepsi, Rick Poillon. They moved the company to North Carolina, where it currently resides. The company was formed through the state of Delaware to help with tax purposes. He said, they understand that there are problems with the company, which is why they are pushing back the dates of camps, changing the price, and rethinking the way the website flows. He said that everyone should check out the site by the end of next week for the updates. He welcomed the criticism and said he would appreciate any and all help criticing the site and day to day functions.

I think we should contact them and give them the help they need to get this thing going. DanielRay is right, this is great opportunity for students who are woodwind players or players who need that push to try out for drum corps. After talking with Brian, I think they have the right people helping and I think they're doing the right thing by taking a few weeks to make the necessary changes needed. Let's help this company succeed.

Thank you tmpt82 for calling and getting it from the horse's mouth. Your comments certainly influenced the way I was feeling about this topic. If we see by the end of the week, as he said, that changes are being made for the better, I'll ascribe to danielray's analysis of the situation.

Well, I'd say poor planning on their behalf if they want drummers, since there's a WGI Percussion Regional over in Orlando on the 25th.

I think we all have the same concerns. As musicians, educators, and parents, it is our right to make sure that things are on the up and up. I think that if this was meant to be fraudulent, it was extremely stupid. I however, feel that the best intentions were probably behind this endeavor, which is why I feel that as it is our right to make sure this is on the up and up, it is also our right to help make this a success. We all have criticisms that should be forwarded to their office so necessary changes can be made.

I called their office today, and saw that they had shut down the office for a few days preparing and assembling equipment. I received a call back from Brian, their COO, and he began to explain and fill in a lot of the holes of information we had been missing. He stated that the company began in Los Angeles (aka why is Facebook said LA). Chris came to Brian and offered him a partnership due to his father being the former CEO of Pepsi, Rick Poillon. They moved the company to North Carolina, where it currently resides. The company was formed through the state of Delaware to help with tax purposes. He said, they understand that there are problems with the company, which is why they are pushing back the dates of camps, changing the price, and rethinking the way the website flows. He said that everyone should check out the site by the end of next week for the updates. He welcomed the criticism and said he would appreciate any and all help criticing the site and day to day functions.

I think we should contact them and give them the help they need to get this thing going. DanielRay is right, this is great opportunity for students who are woodwind players or players who need that push to try out for drum corps. After talking with Brian, I think they have the right people helping and I think they're doing the right thing by taking a few weeks to make the necessary changes needed. Let's help this company succeed.

This is interesting. You and Danielray are calling for those who post at DCP to actually help out someone who has already proven to be completely irresponsible (see the 2010 issue), and who has just opened up another endeavor which was nowhere near prepared or realistic. Yet there are other start-up projects out there with real sound business plans, and sound adults at the helm, who could utilize that support in a better manner. Wow, if this is the way to start a drum corps oriented business and get 'your' support then the rest of the start-ups should become just as grossly irresponsible, post their unprepared broken promise ideas on DCP, and thus gain your support!!!

• Like 5

Well, I'd say poor planning on their behalf if they want drummers, since there's a WGI Percussion Regional over in Orlando on the 25th.

But does the WGI Indoor Percussion Regional have free parking?

• Like 3

Haha, Michael, me either have you seen the price for the garages at some of these convention centers? LOL. laughing.gif

No, but now I know what I'll be doing in my free time.

This is interesting. You and Danielray are calling for those who post at DCP to actually help out someone who has already proven to be completely irresponsible (see the 2010 issue), and who has just opened up another endeavor which was nowhere near prepared or realistic.

First, if we were all forever judged by things we did when we were 19... ouch. People change. Young people change a lot... and quickly.

Second, someone who is out there making a go of it and not giving up even though they make mistakes is exactly someone who should be supported. There are several very successful corps directors who got their start running corps in their early 20's. They made a hell of a lot of mistakes early on. Not a lot of people remember those now.

Finally, from what has been mentioned in this thread... seems they are now getting some good guidance. But if not, I'd offer to step up and help them out. Seriously.

Yet there are other start-up projects out there with real sound business plans, and sound adults at the helm, who could utilize that support in a better manner. Wow, if this is the way to start a drum corps oriented business and get 'your' support then the rest of the start-ups should become just as grossly irresponsible, post their unprepared broken promise ideas on DCP, and thus gain your support!!!

Name them. Only one upstart in recent years comes to mind that is worth supporting... but they seem to have things quite together anyway.

One final point about only supporting efforts by "sound adults".... there needs to be more engagement and support of a younger generation if this activity is to keep going. There needs to be new, younger people getting involved in the management and operations of these groups or there will be no one around to run things when the present generation retires.

They do need someone to pay attention to the website. The Tampa Staff list is identified as being the "Miami Staff," even though the Miami Staff list is mostly different. Little things like that are crucial to looking professional to many. Since there has been an expression of interest in hearing about such things, if you find stuff like that, please identify it to help provide the wished for feedback.