Accent Marching Academy

I just saw this thread and thought I would help the investigation. The fee is $325 and $10 for the music packet. I didn't see anything about the transaction fee. I did call the Gwinnett Center, they did put down an $8,000 deposit down for the event. The staff from the center told me that they moved the event back because the lack of parking from the conventions going on that weekend, probably why the hotel was about 30 minutes away.

Well, if I were a kid in the Atlanta area and interested in this, I'd think it was done and gone, being that the February 10-12 dates are still listed on the schedule. On the other hand, if I was a kid interested in Houston March 2-4, I'd wonder why there is no link up yet telling me where anything is being held. That's only in two weeks. Heck, I might schedule a date at McDonald's by then. (None of the other 13 sites after Houston have links, either.)

There are people who "work" for them in contact with me personally. At first I thought it was just something along the lines of centerxproductions, a company that has stock show music and drill. I was even asked to do arrangements for it but after not hearing from them or being rushed into anything, I've become skeptical as well as some of my friends who are on the staff list. I feel bad for some of them though because they turned down a lot of job offers to do this and they feel that nothing is going to come out of it for them. I hope for their sake and financial status that it isn't. But I would think it wise of the people of this company to possibly think of just doing a show design company and offering clinics to the programs that purchase their music and drill. I know Meehan does that with Ayala High School at the very least and I've done that with a band I write for as well.

We should email them with questions.

I believe it would be better to offer constructive suggestions. If something like this would work out, it could be a really cool experience.

A few years ago, when I was still writing for the figure skating activity, I covered a weekend skating camp headlined by Tara Lipinski. The organizers were able to bring in about a dozen World and Olympic figure skaters, who gave direct hands-on training to maybe 300-400 thrilled kids. It was really impressive. However, the attendees didn't have to stay anywhere in particular. They got hours of training from some of the most famous figure skaters of the past decade (at that time), both American and European skaters. A number were gold medalists and most were medalists on either the World or Olympic stage. It was spectacularly cool to watch.

The cost was $150, including box lunches. And the parking was free. (And some of the kids got to be interviewed by Michael Boo, so even if they forget what the World and Olympic medalists told them, they should still be basking in the glow of me asking them if they were having fun.) :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I believe it would be better to offer constructive suggestions. If something like this would work out, it could be a really cool experience.

A few years ago, when I was still writing for the figure skating activity, I covered a weekend skating camp headlined by Tara Lipinski. The organizers were able to bring in about a dozen World and Olympic figure skaters, who gave direct hands-on training to maybe 300-400 thrilled kids. It was really impressive. However, the attendees didn't have to stay anywhere in particular. They got hours of training from some of the most famous figure skaters of the past decade (at that time), both American and European skaters. A number were gold medalists and most were medalists on either the World or Olympic stage. It was spectacularly cool to watch.

The cost was $150, including box lunches. And the parking was free. (And some of the kids got to be interviewed by Michael Boo, so even if they forget what the World and Olympic medalists told them, they should still be basking in the glow of me asking them if they were having fun.) :rolleyes:

This is a great idea. I know a few weekends before their audition camps, Pacific Crest actually has clinic camps that prospect members and even current members of the corps can go to just to get a taste of what drum corps is on a very light level of course. They don't stay at the clinic site or get a prepaid lunch. But if they go to the clinic and pay the $75-$100 fee (don't know the exact price anymore) they don't have to pay anything additional to go to the audition. Also, parking is free.

This is a great idea. I know a few weekends before their audition camps, Pacific Crest actually has clinic camps that prospect members and even current members of the corps can go to just to get a taste of what drum corps is on a very light level of course. They don't stay at the clinic site or get a prepaid lunch. But if they go to the clinic and pay the $75-$100 fee (don't know the exact price anymore) they don't have to pay anything additional to go to the audition. Also, parking is free.

Well, it seems the one constant in all the success stories is the free parking, and they've got that one nailed down.

• Like 2

Stu was nice!

Thanks for the compliment Kieth! That was the first time on DCP I have ever been called "nice", and if you could see me I am going through the aw-shucks moment that the Cowardly Lion had when he was complimented in the movie The Wizard of Oz. :satisfied:

Stu was nice! I think you are insane! This "venture" is a fraud. I will sneak in there in Tampa and prove it!

How is it a fraud? If kids (or their parents) are willing to shell out $400 for 3 days with the instructors on the list, that is their choice.

It is not like there is false advertising anywhere with who is actually going to be teaching (unless they don't show up). Kids may not know who people on that list are, but they know exactly who they aren't... and can determine for themselves if it is of value for the money.

My primary concerns would simply be:

1) Are things taken care of to lock down health and safety?

2) Do they have the resources so that they don't burn the venues they are dealing with and make it difficult for other corps or music programs in the future?

Everything else is just buyer beware.

When I was a kid... 15-16... the area I was living in had no drum major camps at all within about a 12 hour drive in all directions. There really wasn't a good way for kids to learn other than to go to camps very far away or go through instructional video tapes.

I thought it would be cool to have a camp in the area... wrote George Parks a letter (yeah... a letter.. this is how long ago it was), told him what I wanted to do and that I wanted to organize the camp, fly him out, etc. and included a rough plan for how I would organize it and how the expenses worked out. He called me that night when he got it and agreed to come out and do it.

I had no clue what I was really doing, but had good guidance and somehow it worked. It was small (about 50 kids)... lean and manageable. That experience really taught me a lot.

So, my point is simply it doesn't really matter how old the kids are (if they are simply putting together a camp, not a drum corps).

I read the thread about the drum corps they were trying to put together... seems just like a very youthful mistake. Good that they've brushed themselves off, got back in the game and are doing something.... just hope they learned from previous mistakes, are getting proper guidance and doing it right.

• Like 2

One other point...

In this day and age, the idea of local camps like this seems a bit unnecessary unless it is a incremental expense added to something already being doing (like camps that drum corps do on tour).

A much better opportunity, and a nice little profitable niche a group like this could carve out for themselves, is online training. Use Moodle and shoot short video clips and make some killer step by step content.

In this way, not only can you reach kids in the US, but world wide. THIS is the real opportunity... and one with an infinitely lower risk

Haha Michael, kids especially love the 15 minutes of fame, lol.

I think we all have the same concerns. As musicians, educators, and parents, it is our right to make sure that things are on the up and up. I think that if this was meant to be fraudulent, it was extremely stupid. I however, feel that the best intentions were probably behind this endeavor, which is why I feel that as it is our right to make sure this is on the up and up, it is also our right to help make this a success. We all have criticisms that should be forwarded to their office so necessary changes can be made.

I called their office today, and saw that they had shut down the office for a few days preparing and assembling equipment. I received a call back from Brian, their COO, and he began to explain and fill in a lot of the holes of information we had been missing. He stated that the company began in Los Angeles (aka why is Facebook said LA). Chris came to Brian and offered him a partnership due to his father being the former CEO of Pepsi, Rick Poillon. They moved the company to North Carolina, where it currently resides. The company was formed through the state of Delaware to help with tax purposes. He said, they understand that there are problems with the company, which is why they are pushing back the dates of camps, changing the price, and rethinking the way the website flows. He said that everyone should check out the site by the end of next week for the updates. He welcomed the criticism and said he would appreciate any and all help criticing the site and day to day functions.

I think we should contact them and give them the help they need to get this thing going. DanielRay is right, this is great opportunity for students who are woodwind players or players who need that push to try out for drum corps. After talking with Brian, I think they have the right people helping and I think they're doing the right thing by taking a few weeks to make the necessary changes needed. Let's help this company succeed.

• Like 1