Two questions on Cadets2

nope... no mention of performer's ages in any rules... (or by-laws) never has been...

Tom, I do recall after the lawsuit that children under the age of 12 were not allowed on the field at competitions anymore. This was discussed at length at a winter meeting. Not sure if it ever made it into the rulebook OR is enforced any more but it was made clear to all the directors that children were not to be on the field of competition.

Edited by HBD

Tom, I do recall after the lawsuit that children under the age of 12 were not allowed on the field at competitions anymore. This was discussed at length at a winter meeting. Not sure if it ever made it into the rulebook OR is enforced any more but it was made clear to all the directors that children were not to be on the field of competition.

You and I know all too well about the lawsuit... what a pain...

However, I'm quite certain that although discussions may have happened - I'm sure you're right - nothing ever has made its way into the rules about ANY age top or bottom...

I do remember Mickey ordering the corps to use their heads and have no little kids (probably used the 12 age minimum even) come onto the field with them - common sense and yes, a reaction to the lawsuit... but I still think he was referring to non performers...

The Sharpsburg Cadets were senior for most of their existance.... If memory serves me correctly, they went junior in the late 1960's (after the merger w/ Vern Acklin to form Allegheny Monarch)....Chet Friedmen was director of the junior drumcorps until the end...Members of both senior/junior Cadets were instrumental in the formation of the Sharpsburg Ambassadors that the following year became the Steel City Ambassadors.... Tom Mahan from the Cadets is currently Director of the Steel City Ambassadors Alumni drumcorps and an original member from the 1960 senior Sharpsburg Cadet.... Just my $.02 worth....

P.S. The Westmorland Esquires, Vern Acklin Cavaliers, Sharpsburg Cadets, Gen Butler Vagabonds, Pgh Rockets were the primary corps that formed the Steel City Ambassadors...

Pgh Guy Bari 2

John G

May I ask when this occurred? Never heard of it and can remember a corps (but not which one exactly :doh: ) had two people that appeared to be under that age limit in the pit. Remember it because we talked to the adults who were either their parents or taking care of the youngin's during DCA weekend.

And thanks all for the Western PA corps history. Went to college near there in Indiana, PA but never knew much of the corps. Thanks to the internet I'm learning more about smaller Sr corps that existed before I discovered DC.

PS - the latest CD I bought from DCW is below (Christmas present from the wife). First time I ever heard corps #1, 3, 5, 6.

#6507 - 1965 Symphony in Brass

1 Flying Dutchmen Kitchener/Waterloo, ONT

2 Hanover Lancers Hanover, PA

3 Albion Grenadiers Albion, NY

4 Meadville Thunderbirds Meadville, PA

5 Cornplanters Warren, PA

6 Esquires West Newton, PA

Recorded August 14, 1965, at Rostraver, PA, by Alf Wateska.

Edited by JimF-LowBari