A request for the Blue Devils

BD will keep on doing things that their design team thinks are fun and interesting.

Given their track record, why would they do anything else?

Bd's gonna do what BD's gonna do, and anyone who doesnt like it will be labeled a hater and suffering from regional bias.

How do I know that? I've seen those reasons trotted out here for 4 years now

• Like 3

2) It's the Cavaliers fault (said partly in jest). I think the Devils got spooked by Cavies dominance in the early 2000s with visual-driven programs and decided to recalibrate their approach.

I agree. BD used to be able to win Titles primarily on the strength of their outstanding brass and percussion lines, and musical abilities. Then in the 90's the landscape changed... and the visual age of DCI came more to the front. For a period there, the Cavaliers visuals and Guard set the pace. The BD looked at what was happening and to their credit ( at least placement wise ) they did what you said... they recalibated their approach, and it has worked for them placement wise as a result. I can't fault them for this at all. Its pretty clear what is being mostly rewarded currently on the scoring sheets.

I agree. BD used to be able to win Titles primarily on the strength of their outstanding brass and percussion lines, and musical abilities. Then in the 90's the landscape changed... and the visual age of DCI came more to the front. For a period there, the Cavaliers visuals and Guard set the pace. The BD looked at what was happening and to their credit ( at least placement wise ) they did what you said... they recalibated their approach, and it has worked for them placement wise as a result. I can't fault them for this at all. Its pretty clear what is being mostly rewarded currently on the scoring sheets.

True. Though (as I said before), lets wait and see what happens with these brand new sheets........................which are...............................quite different.........and are said to reward the "entertainment value" of a show more so than the previous sheets.

The "current" scoring sheets as we know them are no longer "current".

Edited by bmjfelts1988

True. Though (as I said before), lets wait and see what happens with these brand new sheets........................which are...............................quite different.........and are said to reward the "entertainment value" of a show more so than the previous sheets.

The "current" scoring sheets as we know them are no longer "current".

Yes, it will be interesting to see what changes they'll be, if any, in how the Corps and their shows will be rewarded moving forward.

That is exactly what 2010's show was. :blink: And I might add...quite true to the origianals that were used in that show. People think because it was "esoteric" that it must have not been true to it's original form. The real truth is, much of Kenton's music IS "esoteric" (in particular the works that were used in 2010).

It's funny. I just listened to the CD of the 2010 Blue Devils in my car this morning back to back with 1991 Blue Devils. Honestly, I've never heard musical books 19 years apart that sounded so similar. You might try listening to just the audio of 2010 one of these days and forget the video...erase the mirrors from your mind...and just listen to the music. It's pretty real musically and it was ALL "Kenton".

I wrote a review of the '10 show (audio only) over the summer, and I agree. Once you get past the tags from La Suerte, and that whole early 2 minute segment where the show just... sits there... the production picks back up and it fits right in to that "Kenton" BD sound - many of the same chord structures and sequences will make fans of the '91 show feel right at home.

Anyways, to the grand point, I say... entertain me. I care not how. Go full-on Blue Man and use video screens and an electric band. Just make me say "wow!"

Mike

• Like 2

I wrote a review of the '10 show (audio only) over the summer, and I agree. Once you get past the tags from La Suerte, and that whole early 2 minute segment where the show just... sits there... the production picks back up and it fits right in to that "Kenton" BD sound - many of the same chord structures and sequences will make fans of the '91 show feel right at home.

Anyways, to the grand point, I say... entertain me. I care not how. Go full-on Blue Man and use video screens and an electric band. Just make me say "wow!"

Mike

I think even the opener sounded 91ish. The whole show is exactly what kenton is all about. Thick chords, atonality and aggressive rhythms. Everything people "hate" about the Blue Devils is what most of the Kenton library sounds like with the exception of some of Hank Levy's contributions. Blue Devils did Kenton about as true as they could in 2010 and I scratch my head sometimes at how some people fail to see that show for what it was (musically). They gave "drum corps jazz fans" their wish and people just gripe about it because of the fricken mirrors? Come on, listen to the music, people.

Mike N, I'm glad you noticed (and that I'm not the only one who has). :smile:

As for the topic as a whole (and 2010 is proof). It doesn't matter what the Blue Devils do. People will find a reason to hate it and it's been that way for years. It was that way in the 80s. The Blue Devils are the corps everyone loves to hate and they are "darned of they do/darned if they don't". If they did jazz like they did in the 80s, people would complain that they are too "nostalgic".

They can't win with the fans no matter what they do to please (and they try quite often)...so they may as well just win with the judges. :bluedevil:

• Like 4

You are correct about all of this. However, you must have missed my whole point. The idea behind the "request" I made is that they "forget about winning" for a year. The Blue Devils have nothing to prove. They more than any other corps in this activity could get away with taking a year off of the winning quest and just entertain. Nothing else. Again though, I'll still love what they do if that never happens (and it probably won't). Just a wish is all.

your logic confuses me, your asking them to on purposely suck ### in favor for your needs to be satisfied? you are strange strange man...

• Like 3

I think even the opener sounded 91ish. The whole show is exactly what kenton is all about. Thick chords, atonality and aggressive rhythms. Everything people "hate" about the Blue Devils is what most of the Kenton library sounds like with the exception of some of Hank Levy's contributions. Blue Devils did Kenton about as true as they could in 2010 and I scratch my head sometimes at how some people fail to see that show for what it was (musically). They gave "drum corps jazz fans" their wish and people just gripe about it because of the fricken mirrors? Come on, listen to the music, people.

Personally, I had no problem with the visual aspect of the show. I think the drill and how they used the mirrors was very creative and original, and I didn't feel like the props took anything away from the performance. The music by itself, however, made it very difficult to enjoy. People can go on and on about how sophisticated the source music is in the jazz spectrum, but even after several years of performing in the jazz world, I still can't stand music like that (and I've played my fair share of atonal jazz and orchestral works). From a theoretical perspective, I will agree that atonal composers of all genres are some of the most creative individuals in the music world, but I'm still not gonna pull out my iPod and listen to Milton Babbitt or Stan Kenton for my own entertainment. I do believe that BD10 was the only show deserving the championship that year, but that doesn't change the fact that listening to it literally gives me headaches. Still hoping that future shows will be more enjoyable from a musical perspective.

• Like 2

Bd's gonna do what BD's gonna do, and anyone who doesnt like it will be labeled a hater and suffering from regional bias.

How do I know that? I've seen those reasons trotted out here for 4 years now

IMHO the alternative is breaking up the team. Too easy to throw in the towel if you start doing re-treads. Boredom is the death knell of design.

• Like 1

People hated the Yankees back in their glory days too, but they put fannies in the seats everywhere they went.

• Like 1