1992 Cadets of Bergen County is DCI.org Download of the Week

A member of the Cavaliers 1992 brass staff once told me that the general feeling among the community of instructors at the time was that given one more *day*, the Cadets may have made it happen.

Well, when a corps can move up that much in three weeks, being within a half point is territory where anything can happen with a little more time.

Edited by Michael Boo

A friend of mine that marched then told me honestly that standing there on Finals night before the show, he still had the thought in his head, "I really wish I didn't have to do this show again."

I can only imagine how hard it was to march that show. Thing is, 20 years later (this year), the show is still near the top of what I've loved in the history of this activity. I know at moments it doesn't mean much, but the hard work the members give during the season pays off in so many other ways!

To think of all the source material I've searched for as a result of the activity and Cadets specifically. I have a wonderful wind ensemble recording of TtPS that I listen to regularly and have just recently downloaded a copy of Year of the Dragon which I absolutely love (Cadets '97).

• Like 1

yep, but oh that first battery entrance

:shutup:

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, for some reason there was an "echo" effect that would make drumlines sound dirtier than ####. Try this, listen to SCV 1990s drum feature in stereo, then listen with I think just the left channel, night and day.

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, for some reason there was an "echo" effect that would make drumlines sound dirtier than ####. Try this, listen to SCV 1990s drum feature in stereo, then listen with I think just the left channel, night and day.

The recordings that year were weird. I remember specifically thinking that this drumline sounded way dirtier on the recordings than they were live. They were pretty tight. Might have been a mic placement thing.

i hear ya, however I am talking being there at finals hearing it in the 14th row. all of us drummers, cringed at the attack.

As a life-long Holy Name/Cadets fan (since early 50's) I have to say that 92 was the most shocking outcome I ever witnessed. Tremendous show. I could watch it forever. I love the musical content and drill. But the horns were out of tune at crucial points and this seemed to be ignored. I think Star had everything needed to leap over BD and, no matter what the sheets say, I still cannot understand the results.

I think as musicians we can maintain objectivity, and whatever my homey tendencies might be, the best performance deserves the best results.

I refuse to bash judges. Their job is very difficult.

Kevin

• Like 3

My mistake. I should have said Cavies rather than BD I did see the Cavies that year and the musical performance was excellent and the Brubaker drill superb, but I'm sticking with Star (as if I could change history. I shouldn't give myself a break on that issue-idiotic on my part)

Kevin

I always thought something seemed off and while I never saw the show live or at Finals that year the Brass tuning was an Issue? Was that ultimately what kept them out of 1st? One of my all time favorite shows and like another said I miss those types of Cadet shows.

I always thought something seemed off and while I never saw the show live or at Finals that year the Brass tuning was an Issue? Was that ultimately what kept them out of 1st? One of my all time favorite shows and like another said I miss those types of Cadet shows.

I believe what kept them down was simply getting a late start on cleaning the show, according to instructors I spoke with that season.

I'm not sure if it was just tuning. There were a lot of tuning issues from corps that night. Very cold. Cadets did handle it the least well of the top. And the brass did come in 4th behind the Cavaliers. The brass compared to the other sections were a bit of a weak link. So you could arguably see it was the brass performance that kept them out. At the same time, it was a feat to see people actually still blowing any air at all by the end with how much those kids ran that year.