New Alumni Corps on the Scene...?

Andyroo

I just received a flyer from the Cardinals Alumni Association announcing their DCI show this summer - June 30 at Manning Field (site of the old Manning Bowl) in Lynn, Mass.

They're announcing that the Cadets Alumni Corps will be making its first ever performance as an exhibition at that show.

I don't know about "first ever" performance; I thought they had already made a couple of presentations (indoor), but this may well be their first show on the field. In any case, it would be good to have yet another alumni corps to see and hear - since alumni seems to be one of the faster-growing segments of the activity.

News to me, Andy but I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

I know Arbella of Salem (80's) is making an alumni push.

Defenders Alumni have recently picked up a few folks who marched up on the "Noath Shoah."

News to me, Andy but I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

I know Arbella of Salem (80's) is making an alumni push.

Defenders Alumni have recently picked up a few folks who marched up on the "Noath Shoah."

As I hear it, several members of the Cardinals and North Star are looking toward the Arbella situation - but that corps won't be ready for a June 30 show. I think their first meeting is at the end of this month.

As for the Defenders, I'm happy to see that they're picking up some folks from the "Noath Shoah." I've always been a bit put out by the lack of participation in alumni corps by folks from that area. For example, so far as I know, there are only two of us from the old St. Mary's Cardinals and one from the I.C. Rockettes that are in alumni corps - hardly a good showing by all the talent there was in that area.

In any case, the flyer said that Holy Name/Garfield Alumni would be there. Great!! One more alumni corps to add to the list....

My Crusader Sr. corps has alumni from the Cardinals (Beverly), Musketeers (Peabody), Blue Angels(Danvers), Rockettes (Salem), Jeanette's (Lynn), Socialites (Saugus), North Star(Morth Shore), Reveries and 27th (Revere).

Andyroo,

C2 is a DCA Corps, intended to be a weekend only operation. They have weekend camps just like the competition organizations. They have pages on the YEA site. It seems like they are trying to get their feet wet through some exhibitions before they enter competiton. Some complainig going on that they are going to suck up all the good players in the east and dominate DCA. I don't think that is happening, but how could one not want as many competitive Corps in DCA as you can get.

There is a DCA Corps in my area- the Vigilanties in Dallas 180 miles away (that's like driving from Newark to Cleveland).

I've tried to help them recruit. They bought 62 horns from Capital Regiment, so they would like to field a full size Corps. If anyone wants contact info Email me at kdohert@gmail.com. They had a link on the DCA site, but it disappeared. One can always Google their site.

Disappointingly they are right in the heart of North Texas University territory, home to some of the finest jazz ensembles in the history of college jazz. They have been unable to recruit students or faculty because they are tied up with their school activities.

I can't imagine what it would cost them to go on the road to compete in DCA, although their mini-Corps won DCA in recent years.

Their staff comes mostly from SCV and PR. Not shoddy by any means.

Their situation, to me demonstrates the importance of the DCA-DCI connection. The Vs need to be on the field at Texas DCI events - and there are quite a few. Even if they are the only DCA Corps on the field they would benefit from a judged exhibition. Tom Peashey tells me the DCI judges are fully qualified to work off the DCA sheets.

I grew up in New Jersey and attended many Dream competitions where you had both Junior and Senior competitions. It works.

Can you help spread the word so we can get these guys on their feet?

AFA alumni, Crossmen are the only major DCI Corps in the state and they haven't been here long enough to produce much of an alumni base.

Also many people don't how big Texas really is. I live in both NE Texas and NE Louisiana and the Crossmen's home in San Antonio is at least 450 miles away. Unless you own a plane, rehearsal for a SA alumni Corps would be over before you left the house.

Feel free to share this note. Texas is fertile ground for all levels of DC and you seem to have good connections.

Kevin Doherty

My Crusader Sr. corps has alumni from the Cardinals (Beverly), Musketeers (Peabody), Blue Angels(Danvers), Rockettes (Salem), Jeanette's (Lynn), Socialites (Saugus), North Star(Morth Shore), Reveries and 27th (Revere).

That's quite a few more than I was aware of. I only knew of Phil (Cardinals) and Donna (Rockettes). With your information, I don't feel so bad about the lack of participation from the North Shore. Thanks for passing it on.

Andyroo,

C2 is a DCA Corps, intended to be a weekend only operation. They have weekend camps just like the competition organizations. They have pages on the YEA site. It seems like they are trying to get their feet wet through some exhibitions before they enter competiton. Some complainig going on that they are going to suck up all the good players in the east and dominate DCA. I don't think that is happening, but how could one not want as many competitive Corps in DCA as you can get.

Feel free to share this note. Texas is fertile ground for all levels of DC and you seem to have good connections.

Kevin Doherty

Kevin, I think everyone here is pretty much aware of what C2 is and who they are. In my original post, however, I was referring specifically to the Holy Name/Garfield alumni corps. It would be nice to have yet another alumni corps on the scene.

As for my having "good connections," not so (although I do know Fran Haring). Suffice it to say, though, your message has been posted here and every single member of DCP has an opportunity to read it. Good luck in your continuing recruiting efforts.

the Vigilanties in Dallas 180 miles away (that's like driving from Newark to Cleveland).

Please tell all of us the Secret Shortcut. 'Cuz it was a good 450 miles from Cleveland to Newark last time I drove out that way.

As for my having "good connections," not so (although I do know Fran Haring).

In other words... you do not have good connections. :tongue:

I don't know about "first ever" performance; I thought they had already made a couple of presentations (indoor), but this may well be their first show on the field. In any case, it would be good to have yet another alumni corps to see and hear - since alumni seems to be one of the faster-growing segments of the activity.

I believe Holy Name's Alumni has performed at The Cadets DCI show that past few years ... seem to remember photos of them at their Anniversary show ... they have definitely appeared at Sky's I&E shows and some stage shows ...

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko