New Alumni Corps on the Scene...?

Andyroo

Please tell all of us the Secret Shortcut. 'Cuz it was a good 450 miles from Cleveland to Newark last time I drove out that way.

He may have been referring to Newark, Ohio - down near Columbus - site of one of the Ohio State "spillover" campuses (campi? campusim? campeese?). But you're right about Newark, NJ to Cleveland; the Post 199 - Cleveland Heights trip is just about 850 miles round trip.

I believe Holy Name's Alumni has performed at The Cadets DCI show that past few years ... seem to remember photos of them at their Anniversary show ... they have definitely appeared at Sky's I&E shows and some stage shows ...

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko

That's exactly what I mean, Andy. This appearance was being touted as their "first ever." Does that mean "first ever" on the field? Ot is it "first ever" in New England? For my part, I really don't care; as I've said before, it's good to see another alumni corps becoming more active - and were I not tied up at another show that day, I'd be there to see them.

Andy "not the Slavic one" Marmen

That's exactly what I mean, Andy. This appearance was being touted as their "first ever." Does that mean "first ever" on the field? Ot is it "first ever" in New England? For my part, I really don't care; as I've said before, it's good to see another alumni corps becoming more active - and were I not tied up at another show that day, I'd be there to see them.

Andy "not the Slavic one" Marmen

Yeah ... they probably mean "first ever" appearance for their show ... HNC Alumni has been around now for a while ... several videos up on YouTube ... were you with St. Mary's when they bought Garfield's uniforms? Can't remember the whole story ... Cabs Alumni at the Barnum this year?

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

You guys are a hoot (Maybe I have lived in the South too long). Andyroo. I have communicated some with Andy Lisko and Fran Haring and I really appreciate their knowledge and experience, I appreciate modesty, but that doesn't mean your talents should be underappreciated.

Kevin

I believe Holy Name's Alumni has performed at The Cadets DCI show that past few years ... seem to remember photos of them at their Anniversary show ...

Yes, they definitely did perform at the anniversary show in 2009 at the old Giants Stadium.

• Like 1

There is a DCA Corps in my area- the Vigilanties in Dallas 180 miles away (that's like driving from Newark to Cleveland).

I can't imagine what it would cost them to go on the road to compete in DCA, although their mini-Corps won DCA in recent years.

Kevin Doherty

Sorry to be the truth police but if the mini corps was/is not named 'Star United', they did not win DCA Mini Corps in recent years...just sayin...

Yeah ... they probably mean "first ever" appearance for their show ... HNC Alumni has been around now for a while ... several videos up on YouTube ... were you with St. Mary's when they bought Garfield's uniforms? Can't remember the whole story ... Cabs Alumni at the Barnum this year?

:-)

As to question #1... Yes, I was there when the Holy Name uniforms were purchased. In fact, I recently found a photo of me taken in May of '58 (for our May Procession), the first day we wore those uniforms. Actually I sent it out to prove that i once had a thirty-two inch waist. Today I have a leg that's bigger around than that - unfortunately.

Regarding question #2 - Cabs Alumni at Barnum? No, we're in Bridgeport that day. :rolleyes:

Yes. I was exaggerating a bit. I meant Newark, Delaware.

My source for the Vigilante's mini Corps statement came from Vigilante's staff. Yes, I could research everything but I do like to have breakfast, lunch. and dinner (I have friends who disagree over whether it's dinner or supper and what time of the day supper starts. I find that if you spend too much time discussing this stuff, you don't get to eat either).

I'm a small guy, but maybe when I grow up I'll be the size of Andy Merman's leg.

Kevin

There's been an apparent clarification...

The person who wrote the initial release apparently confused Cadets II with their alumni corps. Clarification came today in that Cadets II is putting on an exhibition (apparently their inaugural appearance) at the DCI Beanpot show in Lynn, Mass on June 30.

Many of the rest of us will be in Bridgeport that day.

Regarding question #2 - Cabs Alumni at Barnum? No, we're in Bridgeport that day. :rolleyes:

Ah - am I missing something here, Andy? Or are you???? :unsure: Last I checked, the Bridgeport show IS the Barnum. Perhaps I'm underestimating the depth of your rich toungue-in-cheek humor.

Incidentally, check the Barnum Festival website and look at the lineup for the Parade of Champions, both competing and exhibitions. Another great bargain at $5, and the first look at the reigning DCA Champs in the east this summer. :thumbup:

• Like 1