Phantom Regiment 2012

Maybe it was the source material? Maybe it was how they wanted him to write things? (Just throwing these out there for argument's sake)

Absolutely!!! His writing was powerful and balanced. I never found JD's to be balanced.

True, maybe it's how they wanted him to write things... I doubt it was the source material, because I've heard the original source material for many things he arranged. I am willing to bet it's the way he was asked to arrange that I didn't care for in the past.

thumbup.gif

I really have always liked Phantom, so it's all good.

• Like 1

...well seeing Phantom already posted on their facebook page that last night was a runthrough for the administration at Rockford College (corps camp site for several weeks), I feel it is alright to post a few thoughts about what I saw and heard.....

First, Phantom will be fielding a full program when they take the field for the first show competition in Akron next week. The corps has an overflowing schedule of camp, concert and public dress rehersal in the few days left before the first competition show. Its insane!

Secend, IMO, the viewer WILL NOT need to understand the opera Turandot to understand/appreciate this show. The music selections, the interaction between the brass/guard/pit/drums is a show in itself. Are there specific story related characters in the show (absolutely!), will you recognize some of the music (YES! even parts of the opera music) and will you hear the traditional Phantom Regiment sound (yes, with a new twist).

I am amazed at the current visual being presented by the corps. I've heard the music for months and am surprised at the visual program that showcases the music selections.

There is no way that anyone can catch everything that is going on out in the field by seeing the program just once. You will need one viewing to listen to the rich interaction between the brass/pit/drums. Even each section of the brass is featured while supporting a feature of another section. It will take several viewings to 'see' everything the guard is doing! Luckily I got to watch a lot of pratice where the different 'parts' of the show was done, done again, reviewed, done and done again. (If you have marched you know what I am talking about!) Very few 'enhancements' were used in the show (and I will not explain my use of the word enhancements....wait and see, this will evolve as the show evolves). So when it came time to do the first run thru of the full show, I knew what was coming.

IMO, for the first time in several years, this show has the potential to really blossom visually. It should also do well in General Effect. PR should will do well in the year long percussion and brass 'competition', and should the program evolve as I think it will, PR will move right up the cometition ladder and maybe win some captions at Finals. The show and the corps have that much potential in my opinion.

Don't worry people, there is music for every age group including some recognizable music for us dinos!

Of course you know I am not going to give away any signature moves, any music selections, any of the guard uniform design or any of the other details that is going to make this show both very 'Phantom' familiar and very new.

...just be warned that if you expect to know the whole show design in one viewing, it ain't happening. And, the show has the potential to evolve a great deal before Finals in August. The members of Phantom Regiment are expected to do a lot this season - and I know that once they have reached one level they will be instantly challenged with the next higher. I am absolutely also sure that many on DCP will have a field day pointing out all the 'dirt' in the show. Go at it. This is going to be the type of show that will always have something to fix, add or enhance. If it becomes 'perfectly clean' it will just show it has stopped evolving. I take evolution/some dirt over perfection/stunted growth any day.

Of course there is still dress rehersal in Stillman Valley, IL, at the high school tomorrow night. Its a great small town and a nice stadium for a drum corps show. Tuesday night is the annual Concert in the Park (Sinnissippi Park bandshell) in Rockford. If I remember right, a lot of pictures of the brass and percussion (guard does not participate so you wont see their uniform then) seem to show up online after this presentation. The show music will be presented so maybe someone (it WON'T be me!) will post some actual corps played music then for all of you screaming for music and videos. And,the corps is sent off at the end of next week to their first competition.

I'm excited to see this show on the big screen at the local movie house on the 18th!

SUTA!!!!

• Like 6

...well seeing Phantom already posted on their facebook page that last night was a runthrough for the administration at Rockford College (corps camp site for several weeks), I feel it is alright to post a few thoughts about what I saw and heard.....

First, Phantom will be fielding a full program when they take the field for the first show competition in Akron next week. The corps has an overflowing schedule of camp, concert and public dress rehersal in the few days left before the first competition show. Its insane!

Secend, IMO, the viewer WILL NOT need to understand the opera Turandot to understand/appreciate this show. The music selections, the interaction between the brass/guard/pit/drums is a show in itself. Are there specific story related characters in the show (absolutely!), will you recognize some of the music (YES! even parts of the opera music) and will you hear the traditional Phantom Regiment sound (yes, with a new twist).

I am amazed at the current visual being presented by the corps. I've heard the music for months and am surprised at the visual program that showcases the music selections.

There is no way that anyone can catch everything that is going on out in the field by seeing the program just once. You will need one viewing to listen to the rich interaction between the brass/pit/drums. Even each section of the brass is featured while supporting a feature of another section. It will take several viewings to 'see' everything the guard is doing! Luckily I got to watch a lot of pratice where the different 'parts' of the show was done, done again, reviewed, done and done again. (If you have marched you know what I am talking about!) Very few 'enhancements' were used in the show (and I will not explain my use of the word enhancements....wait and see, this will evolve as the show evolves). So when it came time to do the first run thru of the full show, I knew what was coming.

IMO, for the first time in several years, this show has the potential to really blossom visually. It should also do well in General Effect. PR should will do well in the year long percussion and brass 'competition', and should the program evolve as I think it will, PR will move right up the cometition ladder and maybe win some captions at Finals. The show and the corps have that much potential in my opinion.

Don't worry people, there is music for every age group including some recognizable music for us dinos!

Of course you know I am not going to give away any signature moves, any music selections, any of the guard uniform design or any of the other details that is going to make this show both very 'Phantom' familiar and very new.

...just be warned that if you expect to know the whole show design in one viewing, it ain't happening. And, the show has the potential to evolve a great deal before Finals in August. The members of Phantom Regiment are expected to do a lot this season - and I know that once they have reached one level they will be instantly challenged with the next higher. I am absolutely also sure that many on DCP will have a field day pointing out all the 'dirt' in the show. Go at it. This is going to be the type of show that will always have something to fix, add or enhance. If it becomes 'perfectly clean' it will just show it has stopped evolving. I take evolution/some dirt over perfection/stunted growth any day.

Of course there is still dress rehersal in Stillman Valley, IL, at the high school tomorrow night. Its a great small town and a nice stadium for a drum corps show. Tuesday night is the annual Concert in the Park (Sinnissippi Park bandshell) in Rockford. If I remember right, a lot of pictures of the brass and percussion (guard does not participate so you wont see their uniform then) seem to show up online after this presentation. The show music will be presented so maybe someone (it WON'T be me!) will post some actual corps played music then for all of you screaming for music and videos. And,the corps is sent off at the end of next week to their first competition.

I'm excited to see this show on the big screen at the local movie house on the 18th!

SUTA!!!!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts! Makes me excited to see them... Of course some of the things you posted at the about visual dirt in the show at the end of your post have given me a little pause...

I'll see the dirt, hopefully nobody calls them out at the first show of the season...

I'm excited, so all information is good. thumbup.gif

There were some nice recordings after the concert in the park last year, so hopefully the same this year.

Two important things to take notice of:

1. A video should be coming soon!

Regiment's Videographer's name goes here

6 hours agoFinally going to spend some quality time with Phantom Regiment today!

2. DRESS REHEARSAL DAY!!!

The Phantom Regiment invites you to attend our annual dress rehearsal Sunday, June 10, 8:30 p.m. at Stillman Valley High School.

Stillman Valley High School

425 S. Pine St.

Stillman Valley, IL 61084

The performance will begin at 8:30 p.m, but the gates and the souvenir stand will open at 7:30 p.m. This will be the first public performance of our 2012 production: Turandot. We will perform the show twice - 8:40p and 9:10p approximately.

This event is free to the public, but donations will be accepted and greatly appreciated! You can also stock up on all your 2012 Phantom Regiment gear!!!

Please note: Audio and video recording are prohibited.

Our next public performance will be at the Music in the Park concert series on Tuesday.

Read more:http://www.regiment....7#ixzz1xQN5XSUd

Edited by chaos001