Phantom Regiment 2012

Lots of great photos on FB.

16 tubas!

. . .well, that's disappointing.

I've never been a fan of Hill's arranging style. . . but I'll give it a shot for sure. Shaw spoiled us for many, many years. :tongue:

Totally agree with this opinion. thumbup.gif

Totally agree with this opinion. thumbup.gif

So.....a few members blowing your face off is MORE IMPORTANT and BETTER than a strong team sound with sections playing as 'one'? Isn't that just basic drum corps brass rules - to sound as tho it is just one horn playing?

When did that change?

Will Phantom be loud? You bet ya. And, to me, Phantom's best years were ones where you couldn't tell any individual horn player - they had a strong sound, in harmony. Started together and impressively ended together (and yes I know the tricks of every other person playing and learning how to come into the note at the right pitch, etc).

But, they will be playing together, in harmony, as part of a team.....rather than seeing who can do what best.

IMO, that is what makes the top drum corps the best drum corps.

Anyone can stand out as the corps best screamer, but I like a corps that can be loud and in harmony with everyone else.......unless it is a specific solo that calls for screaming.

I believe the majority of the screaming should be done by the fans in reaction to a huge, team sound.

• Like 1

So.....a few members blowing your face off is MORE IMPORTANT and BETTER than a strong team sound with sections playing as 'one'? Isn't that just basic drum corps brass rules - to sound as tho it is just one horn playing?

When did that change?

Will Phantom be loud? You bet ya. And, to me, Phantom's best years were ones where you couldn't tell any individual horn player - they had a strong sound, in harmony. Started together and impressively ended together (and yes I know the tricks of every other person playing and learning how to come into the note at the right pitch, etc).

But, they will be playing together, in harmony, as part of a team.....rather than seeing who can do what best.

IMO, that is what makes the top drum corps the best drum corps.

Anyone can stand out as the corps best screamer, but I like a corps that can be loud and in harmony with everyone else.......unless it is a specific solo that calls for screaming.

I believe the majority of the screaming should be done by the fans in reaction to a huge, team sound.

I know you were directing this to all of us who don't care for Hill's writing in other places...

Personally I do not care for the writing where he came from, which I assume was him. Maybe that was the result of the team collaboration, I dunno. He is obviously competent at his craft. I just didn't care for the style of arrangement of his previous work. Maybe that will change with his work at Phantom. It has nothing to do with anything you've written above. I'm simply looking at the construction of product where he's worked in the past, not the process. That's a different topic for me.

I loved Shaw's writing and I look forward to Hill's writing.

They're both still in the shadow of Jim Wren, though.

• Like 5

I know you were directing this to all of us who don't care for Hill's writing in other places...

Personally I do not care for the writing where he came from, which I assume was him. Maybe that was the result of the team collaboration, I dunno. He is obviously competent at his craft. I just didn't care for the style of arrangement of his previous work. Maybe that will change with his work at Phantom. It has nothing to do with anything you've written above. I'm simply looking at the construction of product where he's worked in the past, not the process. That's a different topic for me.

Maybe it was the source material? Maybe it was how they wanted him to write things? (Just throwing these out there for argument's sake)

Absolutely!!! His writing was powerful and balanced. I never found JD's to be balanced.

Agree

But the Regiment sound is more than just loud

It was full, open, symphonic, articulate sound that flirted with the edge. It had a fat middle range augmented by stacked tone in the low brass…shrill or tinny are words I have never associated with the Regiment brass sound (on a good or normal year at least)

In other words, their brass was fat

I don’t have much of an opinion on Hill other than he has a great resume and seems competent but I hope he writes in the Regiment Style as created by Wren – it’s been one of the consistent features throughout Regiments varied history

• Like 3

And from the Facebook pics - it would seem that the rifle line is also back at Phantom.

that makes me happy!!!!

Later,

Mike