CHANGING THE NUMBERS IN A HORNLINE

since you can mic small ensembles, really you only need:

4 trumpets

2 mellos

4 baritones

2 tubas

12 is the max you can mic as small ensemble, right? You can mix it from the box and just adjust their volume on the fly. When the big impact is coming, just turn up the volume on all of them and ta-da, impact!

I know you're joking about this, but you wouldn't get any kind of depth from such a small ensemble, (or visual impact). At least, that's why I'm told we now need five marimbas despite pit amplification.

When the big impact is coming, just turn up the volume on all of them and ta-da, impact!

Don't get your hopes up.

All the contest sponsor is required to provide is one 15amp 110V circuit. This won't run much of a power amp setup.

For a while now (at least in the top 12 WC corps), it's been fairly stock to have between 72 and 80 hornline members. The usual split from top to bottom in the DCI maximum 80 person line is 24 trumpets, 16 mellos, 24 baritone/euphoniums, and 16 tubas. If one were to condense these numbers down to look more representative of the brass section in a concert setting (like an orchestra or wind band), it would look like 6 trumpets, 4 french horns, 6 trombones/euphoniums, and 4 tubas (or 3,2,3,2). That would be a weird setup for any orchestra or wind ensemble specifically in respect to the french horn section. Every wind ensemble I've played in actually has MORE french horns than trumpets. Orchestras, depending on the piece and composer, usually have 3 trumpets, 4 french horns, 3 trombones, and 1 tuba. That's enough to balance and entire orchestra. Since the mellophone is the bastardized french horn counterpart on the field, shouldn't that be mimicked?

So, in theory, could a drum corps mimic an orchestra's setup to achieve a similar balance? Trumpets often overpower the low brass based on the timbre and nature of the instrument. In order to bridge that gap between higher and lower voices to achieve perfect balance, you wouldn't even necessarily have to make the mello section bigger than the trumpet section. Maybe just equaling them out would achieve a more balance-able line - something more like 20 trumpets, 20 mellos, 22 bari/euph, and 18 tuba. I'm sure you could play around with the numbers.

Given that the tubas would have to be fudged a little, if this were to be done, do you think it would work? What other numbers and representations would work? What corps should do this? Other thoughts?

I think this is interesting. Let me know what you think!

Kenton

2 points: 1) If what I read on DCP concerning the 2012 Madison Scouts turns out to be true, then their 28 trumpets will really sound top-heavy to you. For me, though, if they let the trumpets bring the "burn" that many Scouts soprano lines of old had (for one easy reference, check 1995), then I will be one very happy camper. 2) Preferred balance between top and low brass in this idiom can be fairly subjective. If you really want to hear a top-heavy sound, then check out most corps from the 70's, when 6 contras were the norm for many great horn lines. Also, the type of music played, staging, arranging, musicians talent levels, and brass staff tastes play heavily into the balance you perceive/hear. Even though I've grown to love the more symphonic sound (low brass emphasis) of today's DCI, a few GOOD throw-backs to screaming in-your-face sop lines would be welcomed by yours truly. :thumbup:

The Blue Devils 2012, in conjunction with System Blue, announce their

Brass Line this year will be comprised of 80 Tubetmellophoniums.

Tubetmellophonium.jpg

Tubetmellophonium from System Blue (Dizzy Gillespie version)

"What the hell, we're goin' for it"...said John Meehan when asked about the change. "We were sick of having to write charts for different horns on different parts of the field and always concern ourselves with balance and all that other brass stuff....so Wayne invented the Tubetmellophonium.... King built it and were marching 80 of 'em."

Meehan promises some great brass moment this year. Particularly when those 80 tubas "kick in" (for those moments when 20 tubas just ain't enough)....and (so far) the only complaint has been from low flying commercial aircraft over MARS during rehearsals. Learning to play all four horns has been a challenge for some of the rookies, but Meehan said the transformation was only really difficult for the trumpet players who were used to much lighter loads and having the one Tuba mouth piece was a bit strange for the high ranges trumpet parts....."but hey, they're Blue Devils...shake it off", said Meehan. The only unresolved issue so far is whether they go with shakos or the black leather hats.

Meehan also said more changes are coming with the addition of the new 40 foot long "9-man Marimba" in the pit. We've had a few collisions going for the low notes, but we're having them wear bike helmets for protection.....however, mallet injuries are still an issue.

tongue.gif

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 7

I know you're joking about this, but you wouldn't get any kind of depth from such a small ensemble, (or visual impact). At least, that's why I'm told we now need five marimbas despite pit amplification.

The concept of multiple keyboard instruments as a device to generate visual impact is not new, nor is it exclusive to our activity:

:smile:

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

Madison has played around with this kind of notion with heavier low brass numbers the past couple years but i think they're starting to go back to a more stock top 12 setup.

28 trumpets don't excite me.

150 trumpets, now THAT would be exciting! (Horrible sounding I'm sure...but still exciting ;)

Remember in 2006 when Phantom's trumpets all grabbed euphoniums (baritones? I'm not sure...something big and heavy and low sounding) for their ballad?

Yeah, that was cool. I seriously wish more corps would experiment like this, even for parts of shows.

28 trumpets don't excite me.

150 trumpets, now THAT would be exciting! (Horrible sounding I'm sure...but still exciting ;)

Remember in 2006 when Phantom's trumpets all grabbed euphoniums (baritones? I'm not sure...something big and heavy and low sounding) for their ballad?

Yeah, that was cool. I seriously wish more corps would experiment like this, even for parts of shows.

Yeah it was baris, and it sounded amazing.

• Like 1