Do you have a favorite corps?

I know most people on the DCP forums have a favorite(or sometimes several) corps. I was just wondering, who is your favorite corps and why?

I have to admit, I have a tie between 2 corps, Santa Clara Vanguard, and Cavaliers.

Santa Clara has been at the top of my list since I first saw them in the mid 70's. Their shows were just amazing, every detail seemed to be well thought out, and each show was performed so well. And if there is a corps that would best represent good sportsmanship, I think that would be SCV. Other than a couple of less than stellar shows in the early 90s, SCV has almost always had a show that was in my top 3 favorites every year.

My other favorite corps is definitely the Cavaliers. Starting in about the mid 80s, there was something about their show designs and drill that made me stand up and take notice. I have almost always loved their musical selections, but something about the way they wrote and performed drill probably starting around 1985, just made them jump right up to the top with SCV on my favorites list. And it seems through the 90s, and then 2000-2011, they have stepped up their game even more, and come up with more and more creative ways to do drum corps.

I do have to say, even though these 2 corps are my favorite, I do love every single corps performing. On an average year, I will really enjoy 22 of the 23 corps shows. And it is usually a different corps each year whose show I might not love quite as well as the rest.

So which corps is your favorite, and what made them your favorite?

Phantom Regiment!

I was born, live and work in Rockford, IL, Phantom's home town.

Spent decades watching kids tryout and later pratice for the corps - didn't have to travel far to do it.

Now I am an active volunteer for my favorite corps.

....but I will stand and cheer for every corps that is at the shows I attend, they are ALL my 2nd favorite.....

I know most people on the DCP forums have a favorite(or sometimes several) corps. I was just wondering, who is your favorite corps and why?

So which corps is your favorite, and what made them your favorite?

Not including my own corps, of course...

As a kid growing up in the 60's...the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights from Newark NJ was my personal favorite corps...the gold satin blouses and black pants...gold and black tiger stripe drums later in the decade...just loved them.

Through the 70's and early 80's...the 27th Lancers. Loved their style of shows, as I always liked British Band music. Their amazing guard..."Danny Boy"..."Crown Imperial"...great stuff! I also loved SCV at that time.

Phantom Regiment from the mid-80's and through the 90's. Loved their classical theme and marvelous horn sound. Plus their guard was always so elegant to this non-guard person.

Early/mid 2000's Carolina Crown became a favorite...very interesting and modern shows...a great hornline.

More recently...Phantom Regiment again, plus the Blue Knights.

Again...these are not including my corps, the Cadets.

Other corps cycle in and out based on particular year(s)...Glassmen and Bluecoats recently

Obviously, as an alumnus, Carolina Crown would be my favorite, as I'd imagine most folks would say of the corps where they marched. Outside of that, I'd have to probably say SCV. I remember an off-day when I marched the summer of '98 at the midwestern regional when we were dropped off at the stadium to watch the shows, wander around, etc. I remember just loving their show "The Modernist" that year and thought I'd take the opportunity to watch their hornline warmup. I stayed from visual block all the way through their warmups and was just floored by the presence and attitude they maintained even when no one was watching. That has stayed with me all these years.

This sounds like one of those questions where you're not supposed to pick your own corps. :tongue:

The first shows I ever saw were DCA shows in Johnstown NY. I loved the Hurricanes ( swing swing swing) and my dad got me into the Cabelleros.

On the DCI side I missed my chance to march the Avant Garde, but am a big fan of the Cadets, 2000 my favorite show ever. bought a cd of the Crossmen wit 90, 91, 92, 96 and 97 on it and loved it so I am a bones fan also.

Madison Scouts because of the "real drum corps" persona they have and the fact im an alumni helps.

• Like 1

Bluecoats for obvious reasons.

I like all other corps (not a big fan of some) but I watch everyone when I go to a show and I enjoy it all.

But no other corps makes me feel the same way as the Bluecoats do, and that is pride, and a little nervousness (hoping they'll do well), and always very judgemental (expecting nothing but perfection from my corps). but they never fail to entertain me and make me proud to say I AM A BLUECOAT