Do you have a favorite corps?

This sounds like one of those questions where you're not supposed to pick your own corps. :tongue:

Not at all, if the corps you marched was your favorite, then state it. But then you can follow up if they were your favorite corps before you marched. Alot of people will try to march in a corps that was their favorite anyway. Or maybe during or after marching a certain corps, it became your favorite. There is nothing wrong with your favorite corps being your favorite corps simply because you marched there.

I can see where this is going now. I remember the days when software technology was nowhere near where it is today. ESPN ran a survey asking who had the best college football team in the nation, and one guy responded by "Hailing Michigan" about 300,000 times. Most people are probably going to be biased toward their own corps. It's not their fault, it's just human nature. :smile:

Phantom Regiment.

Back in the mid 1980s, our brass were taught by Jim Wren and our percussion were taught by the great late Marty Hurly. We got their wealth of expertise plus various Regiment scores such as Elsa's, 1812, Swan Lake.... they got a free vacation in Scotland.

Good times!

I can't honestly think of a corps I don't like.

My favorite used to be the Cavaliers and the Blue Stars without question, but the more I listen and watch DCI, the more enjoy all corps. 2006-present Blue Devils have really grown on me, so has SCV (all years). I think the less you focus on whose uniform it is out there, the more fun it is.

No doubt about it... Suncoast Sound!! Simply because of that AMAZING horn line and the entertaining shows they put out year after year after year. Especially 1985! After all these years, it's still my all-time favorite show. (although "Ballet For Martha" almost pushed it off).

This may come as a surprise but The Madison Scouts! :cool: That has not always been the case but they have won me over through the years.

Honorable mention to SCV and the Crossmen. And I suppose I had better say Bluecoats as well. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It was Santa Clara up until I marched with Garfield. Why? Class. Discipline. Tradition. I can honestly say I probably wouldn't be were I am today without the things I learned in the Cadets.

Well, probably the corps I marched (Crown). Other than Crown, I'd have to say Star of Indiana. Being an alumnus of Crown Brass, you can't help but love the old Star lines when most of your staff marched in those lines. Not only that, but I just plain love Star. Back in 2005 when I first got interested in drum corps, I would go on dci.org and listen to the little sample audio clips that were there. The first one I came across (totally by coincidence) was Star 89...the big hit with the mello lick in the opener. Since then I was hooked on corps and fell in love with Star. Plus, you can't listen to the "Praise Ye" hit from the beginning of Star 90 and even suggest that there has been a better hornline since...except of course for the later Star lines and the recent Crown lines. I'm such a homer :)

The corps I marched with aside...

The Cadets- Not necessarily their shows, not necessarily George Hopkins. But their members, the organization's ability to maintain tradition and heritage without being stuff, the uniqueness of their traditiions, etc.

The Cadets membership never ceases to amaze me. They handle so much adversity, work so hard, go over so many show changes, march with severe injuries, and push themselves in a manner unlike any corps I've ever seen. They do all of this without staff members really making them do it. That's just The Cadets way. Sure they yell and scream sometimes, but the majority of the time the amount of effort these kids put willingly into rehearsals and performances is breathtaking.

All corps work hard, this isn't a degradation of anyone else. This is a compliment to The Cadets. I really feel like the members would march through a brick wall if the staff asked them to.