Mini Corps Championships in Annapolis Question

There was a thread on this a few months ago, but I'm not able to find it now, and never found out if the issue had been decided...

Has there been a decision made regarding the location of Mini Corps Championships at the Stadium yet...whether it will be indoors, i.e. Rochester-esque, or outside on the stadium field.

Any info will be helpful. Thanks!

I spoke with some members in competing minicorps that indicated that it will be held outside in the Stadium. However, there is a rumor that rather than using the front sideline - it will be held facing the endzone to make it the performance seem closer to the audience. if that is the case, it might be better than having the sound go into the large seating area and be lost. However, until DCA releases something, it is all a guess.

That makes sense since there is some endzone seating on one side that's a bit elevated. I remember at Rochester it was sometimes hard to see the performing groups from the back of the hall even with the stage. Having that elevation for the audience will be good.

Navy-Stadium.jpg

That makes sense since there is some endzone seating on one side that's a bit elevated. I remember at Rochester it was sometimes hard to see the performing groups from the back of the hall even with the stage. Having that elevation for the audience will be good.

Navy-Stadium.jpg

The endzone on the "Navy" side of the picture is where the entrance ramp is from outside the stadium, right in the middle (it's that grayish looking square with seats on either side). That is how the USSBA bands come into the stadium from the ready area. I wonder if the grassy area on the "Go" side will absorb some of the sound if that is the end they want to use for the performance area.

Even the pressbox side stands 'down front' would be good for viewing and listening. You are pretty close to the sideline, and it's a nice shallow incline back.

I spoke with some members in competing minicorps that indicated that it will be held outside in the Stadium. However, there is a rumor that rather than using the front sideline - it will be held facing the endzone to make it the performance seem closer to the audience. if that is the case, it might be better than having the sound go into the large seating area and be lost. However, until DCA releases something, it is all a guess.

End zone doesn't seem very sensible to me.

Side 1 you're actually further away from the performance field. Side 2 has the tunnel smack dab in the center of the stands.

If it's going to be in the stadium it should definitely be in the normal performance area. Seats are relatively close to the performers. The lower bottom stands are actually very flat (which IMO causes the sound to sail over your head a bit -- you can hear ok but things seem subdued a little). Volume is actually much better a little higher up where the incline is steeper -- in fact the whole way up the lower deck the sound is pretty darn good. The front rows of the upper deck are also good for sound (although currently not available for DCA).

Edited by corpsband

End zone doesn't seem very sensible to me.

Side 1 you're actually further away from the performance field. Side 2 has the tunnel smack dab in the center of the stands.

If it's going to be in the stadium it should definitely be in the normal performance area. Seats are relatively close to the performers. The lower bottom stands are actually very flat (which IMO causes the sound to sail over your head a bit -- you can hear ok but things seem subdued a little). Volume is actually much better a little higher up where the incline is steeper -- in fact the whole way up the lower deck the sound is pretty darn good. The front rows of the upper deck are also good for sound (although currently not available for DCA).

Gee, we said practically the same thing!! :thumbup:

Gee, we said practically the same thing!! :thumbup:

Sorry, Mike.

I replied and then scrolled down to see your message :-)

Anyway -- great minds and all that !!

In any case, I *love* Annapolis as a marching venue. It's pretty much perfect.

Edited by corpsband

Just as long as it's not in a concrete box like Rochester at the Convention Center. Worst thing there was people on the sides and back talking and that multiple reverb got louder and louder. Wierd part was stadning on the sides it didn't seem that loud, but in the middle of the seating are it was ---> :blink: Kinda like the sound was funneled to the center of the hall.

Sorry, Mike.

I replied and then scrolled down to see your message :-)

Anyway -- great minds and all that !!

In any case, I *love* Annapolis as a marching venue. It's pretty much perfect.

Yup! Agree 100%...it's a great place to perform.

DCA made a great call to go there.