Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

well there is plenty of outrage to be had about the PHI/PIT game today... you can just use some of that =)

Depends who you're rooting for. :)

That said, I'm gonna go write a check to some obscure Cadet member, then find the other 149 and punch them in the face.*

* PLEASE note the sarcasm

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 1

A complete slap in the face to the current mellophone section. Some of which are fine college musicians, future premier educators, and several with a performance degree partially under their belt.

It's a huge slap in the face. And downright rude to the members already in the hornline. Especially those who are paying over twice that amount to march.

In the article it says...

"Current members are encouraged to audition but the corps will also accept those who have not yet been to a rehearsal of The Cadets."

so how is it a slap in the face to the mellophone players or anyone else in the corps if they are also eligible for the position? Since everyone is eligible then the creation of this position just gives everyone a different opportunity within the corps. And many corps have scholarships that not everyone gets. This, to me, is like any of those other scholarship opportunities where anyone can apply and audition but only one person gets it.

The outrage is unfounded.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 5

The outrage is unfounded.

Cadets in the off-season. Wouldn't really expect anything else.

They are looking for something specific and in order to find this performer, they are holding auditions. An alum has graciously offered up a scholarship to whoever is chosen. Hopkins is the director, so obviously, something nefarious must be afoot.

Oh, and their uniforms are different again this year.

• Like 2

Because it's a month away from move-ins and they obviously haven't liked anyone currently in the corps for the solo... or else they would have already given it to someone.

• Like 1

Or maybe I'm just so ###### off by the classless Crosby and his Penguins....lol

Cadets in the off-season. Wouldn't really expect anything else.

They are looking for something specific and in order to find this performer, they are holding auditions. An alum has graciously offered up a scholarship to whoever is chosen. Hopkins is the director, so obviously, something nefarious must be afoot.

Oh, and their uniforms are different again this year.

I know... I can't imagine a world class organization would hold "auditons" to find "talented people" both inside and *gasp* "outside" the corps... Talk about spitting in the face of the members who can also audition for this recently created position... I mean it's not like auditions are important in selecting a soloist. Clearly, the corps thinks their brass players all suck and want someone better so they are bribing the best players with cold hard cash! Scholarship money isn't allowed to be given to corps members for their outstanding abilities and achievements via an audition and application process. It's just wrong! The Humanity!

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

I'm shocked and chagrined! :-O

Actually, this is either one of George's greatest ideas or one of his dumbest!

Where's Palladin when you need him? "Have Mello Will Travel"

Because it's a month away from move-ins and they obviously haven't liked anyone currently in the corps for the solo... or else they would have already given it to someone.

They obviously haven't held auditions yet hence the release of audition dates later this month. So how would they know they haven't liked anyone yet in the corps? How do you know this music has just been written and they are trying to fill a position that was newly created? Auditioning for the BEST no matter if they are already in the corps or not is exactly what I want from any World Class Organization.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

From the article:

As the summer unfolds, it is becoming more and more clear that the program will have as a center focus, the ability of one young man or woman to communicate in grand musicality some of the lyrical lines present in a show centered around the music of the holidays.

Sounds kinda like their program is still evolving and the need for this individual is pretty recent.

My interpretation anyway.

• Like 2