The Loudest Hornline of 2011?

Multiple answers are allowed :)  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which hornlines do you think were the loudest in 2011? (multiple answers allowed)

Hopefully that is changing. I felt 2011 was a step up, but they are still relatively

young and need time/experience to grow. I'm hoping the younger members stick around

and really mature with the Corps...they could be monsterous in the coming years!

It would be awesome if that happened with more of the corps in the 8-14 range! Then things would get really crammed at the top.

At the Jackson show. My friend had a db meter out. We were halfway up on the 50.

Don't remember numbers but Boston and Surf were about the same. Madison was right above them. Next was Crossmen. Then Crown blew everyone away.

And it has been stated. But with all the meter readings you have to take in account drumline and amplified front ensemble... and also the direction of the horns. And staging is a big deal. On the recordings... Phantom's opening impact is a lot softer than the rest of the show because they are staged pretty far back field.

IMO, what I perceived was Crown having the loudest horn line. With Phantom, Madison and BD being right behind. Cadets would be next after that. BK seemed to cranking some sound.

And about OC. I didn't hear them until I listened on DVDs... but ####. What a sound. That is a great corps. If they can keep that machine growing up there, the rest of DCI better watch out. If they move up, and keep the talent and show designs coming in... they might be fighting for finals in a few years. I really enjoyed their show.

• Like 2

I'm game! We could also do a reading from the warm up arc, as well?

We'll have to see how the season goes, but I'm in.

IMO, what I perceived was Crown having the loudest horn line. With Phantom, Madison and BD being right behind. Cadets would be next after that. BK seemed to cranking some sound.

Crown's loudness comes as much from playing in tune as it does from air. I sometimes think Matt Harloff has sold his soul to the dark prince -- his hornlines play so in tune it's hard to believe sometimes. Sure is fun to listen to though :-)

• Like 2

Crown's loudness comes as much from playing in tune as it does from air. I sometimes think Matt Harloff has sold his soul to the dark prince -- his hornlines play so in tune it's hard to believe sometimes. Sure is fun to listen to though :-)

It really is awesome. If you don't look forward to listening to that horn line, there is something wrong with you.

• Like 3

I have to agree with a comment made earlier. Madison seems loud, but a finger on a synth can create a massive amount of added volume. And yes they seemed to be forcing it a lot. That's not a bash seeing as I marched there, I'm just saying they don't have the talent to build the full sound like Phantom yet.

Judging from your signature, you marched Madison in 09? Last year you marched Pioneer? Nothing loaded here, just trying to figure out your interesting signature credits. Deliberately off topic, I know. Sorry. Just curious.

• Like 1

Judging from your signature, you marched Madison in 09? Last year you marched Pioneer? Nothing loaded here, just trying to figure out your interesting signature credits. Deliberately off topic, I know. Sorry. Just curious.

Just a suggestion.. when you have personal questions about someone... just send them a private message. That way you don't have to worry about posting something that is off topic.

And what you are asking about is not that uncommon, I have marched with people at Crossmen who marched Crown, Cadets, Phantom, prior to marching with us. Filling holes and such.

Just a level set here...

Does everyone understand that where you sit makes a difference in what you hear? Two identical decibel meters in two different spots in the stadium might well generate two different results? Ears too.

Listen, the corps aren't the only variable. The sound varies based on many things, including what's around us and which way the air is blowing.

So, taking all these things and more into account, we now know that Crown was loudest!

HH

Ugh, it's that point of view again... tongue.gif

Yes, you can play in tune and it certain does help you to play loud when you're not having wave lengths fighting to cancel one another out; at the end of the day there's more to playing loud than just being in tune. That's why so many people complained about the Cavaliers not playing loud enough earlier last decade.

I think Crown does more than just play in tune well. The DVD method is very good & Matt Harloff sounds like a great teacher, but the approach is more than tuning. It's about goof timing of attacks and breathing correctly as well. Ugh, I'm sure the approach has been refined a little since the last time I was taught that approach... tongue.gif

They're loud 'cause they're good! thumbup.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

...That's why so many people complained about the Cavaliers not playing loud enough earlier last decade. ...

Speaking of that. I'm kind of surprised that some have voted the Cavaliers as "the loudest". :huh: Not to slam them, one of my favorite drum corps for sure. I just don't know that they strike me as "loud" and certainly not the "loudEST". Cavaliers get a great sound but it's very controlled. Not just "earlier last decade", either. I honestly don't think Cavies have had much volume since the late 80s. Seems like at some point in the early 90s they backed way off and even with several changes in brass staff, I have not heard but with maybe a few isolated exceptions (Mars was OMG loud in 95), they just play with a nice controlled sound. Not complaining, I like it and I think it's good that some corps carry that characteristic. SCV hasn't bothered me with it the last few years. If it's deliberate and done well (which in Cavies case it definitely is), it can be a cool thing. But I digress, no, Cavies are not the loudest. One of the best, yes. The loudest? Not even in the top 10 imo.

And that's another reason why I did this :rock: at GeneralTsoChicken's data. He had Cavies and Phantom at a tie. Phantom I'll buy. Cavies, while I would not neccesarily doubt the DB reading itself with the consideration of electronics and percussion, but Cavies are not even close to being even one of the loudest hornlines. Much less THE loudest.

Again, I'm not complaining or knocking the Cavaliers for it. It's refreshing to sit through several hair parting ear bleeding hornlines and then get a corps on the field with just a really controlled and refined sound. Nothing wrong with it.

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 1