Carolina Crown 2012

I think it is fair to say that there are two major ideologies here. First, there are those that want to experience a good show (e.g., spectators), and there are some fans that, regardless of the setbacks, will overlook many of the difficultes or limitations of a show design. IMHO it is easy to be a fan, because we do not sacrifice the time, energy, or finances into marching a season of drum corps with a top five contender. Second, there are the members, who should expect to win a world championship. The guard, percussion, and the marchers should be disappointed over the last couple of years. Their disappointment should be in those staff members that cannot get them to a championship. I am now a fan of the activity rather than a current marching member. It would be easy for me to say, because of my current place as a fan, that I just want Crown to put on a great show and entertain me, but it has got to be hard to be a current member with great talent and put yourself under some leadership that does not seem to have what it takes to win a championship. Crown has been missing this type of staff for the last few years. I know that Crown will be impressive, but can they win? Only if they have the staff that knows how to win because they do not and have not lacked the talent in a long time. As a fan, it is not as important to me if they win. If I were a current member with a good amount of talent,thought, I would consider going to a corps with a proven history of winning and entertaining. As much as the fan does not like to here this, DCI is a competitive activity and the goal is not just entertainment. It is a lot about winning. I hope the changes Crown has made in staff will bring a win for them. Not just in brass, but as a whole organization. I also hope that they are as entertaining as we all know they can be. Only time, however, will tell if Crown can balance these two fundamental aspects of the activity.

Speak for yourself. I can't quite say the same.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 1

Hi Nick,

Everyone has assumptions and opinions. I was just offering mine. I do not wish to come off as antagonistic but I did attempt to offer balance to what I said. I did not attempt to point out particular members or say that every member should or does feel the way I described. But, I will not simply accept getting negative feedback without offering the opinion I did. There is absolutely nothing wrong with die hard loyalty to a corps as a member or a fan as long as you are willing to accept that a championship does not seem to be in the near future. I hope I am wrong this year based upon the staff changes Crown has mad, but the last few years of Crown's history does tend to lean in my favor. There is nothing wrong with entertainment being the goal of marching a corps, but there is a price to pay, namely that a championship is not likely.

I do speak for myself. This is what an opinion is, chaos001, but regardless of the details there is a huge difference in many categories between a fan and a marching member.

Then use first person singular, not plural...

Choas001, I am speaking for myself as a current fan and former member of a corp. I know that I am not the only one who feels the way I do and I believe you know this as well. Please allow us to dialogue and not nit-pick on the smallest detail of the opinion.

Choas001, I am speaking for myself as a current fan and former member of a corp. I know that I am not the only one who feels the way I do and I believe you know this as well. Please allow us to dialogue and not nit-pick on the smallest detail of the opinion.

Pssssh! Stop taking the fun out of life! ;P

I'll just say as a fan that I do know what it's like to sacrifice the finances, time, and effort to make sure that the activity I love can continue on.

Everyone has assumptions and opinions. I was just offering mine. I do not wish to come off as antagonistic but I did attempt to offer balance to what I said. I did not attempt to point out particular members or say that every member should or does feel the way I described. But, I will not simply accept getting negative feedback without offering the opinion I did. There is absolutely nothing wrong with die hard loyalty to a corps as a member or a fan as long as you are willing to accept that a championship does not seem to be in the near future. I hope I am wrong this year based upon the staff changes Crown has mad, but the last few years of Crown's history does tend to lean in my favor. There is nothing wrong with entertainment being the goal of marching a corps, but there is a price to pay, namely that a championship is not likely.

What makes you so certain that changing the staff -- any of the staff -- would have made things better? I could easily imagine things getting worse instead of better. I understand (and to a certain degree share) your frustration. But I think your magic hand-waving "swap the staff for some other magically better staff" is just naive. The guys who are there are largely for responsible bringing Crown to where they are now; perhaps firing them would torpedo the entire effort?

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2