Marching Band Hazing at FAMU

Oh, do tell us! Which gangs were involved?

gang1    [gang] Show IPA

noun

1. a group or band: A gang of boys gathered around the winning pitcher.

2. a group of youngsters or adolescents who associate closely, often exclusively, for social reasons, especially such a group engaging in delinquent behavior.

3. a group of people with compatible tastes or mutual interests who gather together for social reasons: I'm throwing a party for the gang I bowl with.

4. a group of persons working together; squad; shift: a gang of laborers.

5. a group of persons associated for some criminal or other antisocial purpose: a gang of thieves.

That's a nice way to go to prison. If a director did that to my kid, I'd probably JOIN him in prison, if you know what I mean.

No seriously, how can such stupidity be considered acceptable? Even more, how can you give such stupidity a thumbs up. There's nothing funny about that. Whoever that director is deserves to lose his job and have a criminal record.

Nothing personal man (I usually enjoy your posts) but I don't see how you can make light of a director hitting a kid in the head with something that can cause serious damage. There's nothing funny about it.

I can only assume it was a different time, back before lawyers and political correctness took over the world. I was talking to my parents about it a couple of days ago, and my mom remembers teachers smacking their knuckles with rulers as part of discipline. Now, if a teacher brushes past a kid in a hallway too closely, they can get fired. Times change, people's definition of acceptable changes. Take it up with a lawyer sometime.

It goes along with the thread awhile back about instructors being able to curse during rehearsals. Some people call it character building and fine, and some people think it's too far. Just depends on your views on life and application of rules. Can't hurt anyone's feelings, even if you pay to march and come into it with the expectation that it won't be all lollipops and sunshine.