WGI Proposals

Considering that two of this years Independent Open medalists were in Independent World semi finals the previous year, I can see why some guards in Independent Open are upset.

• Like 2

if that rule were in place this past season O2 wouldn't have won another medal when they clearly belonged in World. Although I still loved this years show!

Considering that two of this years Independent Open medalists were in Independent World semi finals the previous year, I can see why some guards in Independent Open are upset.

This is Randy Nelson. Actually, I am not upset about anyone getting medals in any class. Yay for them all!! Anyone that knows me will tell you that I have been opposed to ALL end of the season promotions since the day they started. I have voted no without exception...once actually standing on a chair! My reason for the proposal is simple: If WGI is going to promote guards at the end of season based on success, then something needs to be done to keep those guards that class hop in check as well. If it was up to me, there would NO END OF THE SEASON PROMOTIONS OF ANY KIND. All of the arguments about losing members, staff, etc.....can be said for those that are forced promoted each year as well. Should make for an interesting debate at the meeting this weekend.

• Like 3

This is Randy Nelson. Actually, I am not upset about anyone getting medals in any class. Yay for them all!! Anyone that knows me will tell you that I have been opposed to ALL end of the season promotions since the day they started. I have voted no without exception...once actually standing on a chair! My reason for the proposal is simple: If WGI is going to promote guards at the end of season based on success, then something needs to be done to keep those guards that class hop in check as well. If it was up to me, there would NO END OF THE SEASON PROMOTIONS OF ANY KIND. All of the arguments about losing members, staff, etc.....can be said for those that are forced promoted each year as well. Should make for an interesting debate at the meeting this weekend.

liked some of your proposals....only ones that made sense..ok liked the sound one also..although some can get out of copntrol with sound Ive heard a few say.." Ive heard this stuff all day and have a headache " Poor babies..you get paid for this....Not you , meaning some XXX XXXXX judges.

After rethinking this proposal today, I definitely see some merits on this proposal in the nonscholastic classes.

At first when I read it, I just had this terrible feeling in my stomach for many friends who sometimes graduate close to their entire Varsity unit. A proposal like that could be very hard on their programs.

• Like 2

I really think they should drop the age limit in Open class. Having groups compete in World - when they are clearly not ready - due to the fact that they have older members - is not conducive to creating a good competitive environment. I think that removing the age limit would help some Open class groups become much more competitive while allowing them to stay in the proper category of competition.

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

I don't think removing the age limit completely would get approved but an older age out age is a definite for open class. Like guardguy89 said, it is unfair for open class guards to get bumped to world solely becuase they have a few members that are older than 22. I also think that the open class age limit should be older than the a class age limit. JMO

I really hope they keep the promotion system and allow for director chosen demotion.

I have a couple groups who would have really been hurting this last season had they not been allowed to move down. Thankfully, one was good enough that a few shows into the season they were promoted back to where they were.

The system seems to work and seems to work well. I know it isn't perfect, but I also know that requiring your group to be in a class they aren't mature enough for is a sure fire way to have a difficult season emotionally, comp wise, and it has long term effects on the memberships of these groups.

I don't think removing the age limit completely would get approved but an older age out age is a definite for open class. Like guardguy89 said, it is unfair for open class guards to get bumped to world solely becuase they have a few members that are older than 22. I also think that the open class age limit should be older than the a class age limit. JMO

how would a guard get "bumped" because of having members over the age of 22? the guard would have chosen to take those members over the age of 22. which means they would have had to go to world if they wanted to take those members. i see nothing wrong with that.

i personally do not see a reason to raise the age limit in open class. if a guard made the choice to take someone older than 22, and they don't belong in world class, then they should get the score to reflect that.

how would a guard get "bumped" because of having members over the age of 22? the guard would have chosen to take those members over the age of 22. which means they would have had to go to world if they wanted to take those members. i see nothing wrong with that.

i personally do not see a reason to raise the age limit in open class. if a guard made the choice to take someone older than 22, and they don't belong in world class, then they should get the score to reflect that.

Really???

Just because a group has members that are over 22 - doesn't automatically mean that the program (or members) are world class quality. And it's not just a matter of "choosing" to accept older members - sometimes these members can make the difference between having the guard come out or fold. Not every group has the luxury of having tons of members to choose from. And as for competing in World and accepting the score - being constantly at the bottom of the heap is the best way to ensure a crappy season for all and lower chances of coming out the next season,

WGI already has this policy in place for International Guards in Open class at WGI - it would just be a question of extending that policy.

Later,

Mike