WGI Proposals

WGI already has this policy in place for International Guards in Open class at WGI - it would just be a question of extending that policy.

Later,

Mike

Isn't this also the case for A class? I thought that they didn't have an age limit for International guards because there really aren't any scholastic guards in Europe (not sure about other international regions).

Edited by quegrawks

WGI will adjust it's thinking on the subject and JUSTIFY it as they have time and time again depending on which class needs more guards to make it look good...the one who suffers through these " Adjustments " are always the poor A guards..............WGI will always make it look like there is growth but its only because they decide all 15 A guards get promoted so open looks great , etc etc.( remember that?) WGI is quite slick in this and its people...how do you think most of them have kept their positions for decades. ( some of them ) self preservation......lol...gotta love um :blink:

• Like 1

This is Randy Nelson. Actually, I am not upset about anyone getting medals in any class. Yay for them all!! Anyone that knows me will tell you that I have been opposed to ALL end of the season promotions since the day they started. I have voted no without exception...once actually standing on a chair! My reason for the proposal is simple: If WGI is going to promote guards at the end of season based on success, then something needs to be done to keep those guards that class hop in check as well. If it was up to me, there would NO END OF THE SEASON PROMOTIONS OF ANY KIND. All of the arguments about losing members, staff, etc.....can be said for those that are forced promoted each year as well. Should make for an interesting debate at the meeting this weekend.

So you don't like giving wgi the power to do any end of season proposals but you are ok with giving them the power to prevent a unit from going down a class?

Trust me, I'm with you on the no post season thing, I just don't see any positive benefits from keeping a unit in a class if they may have fit in there last year but not necessarily this year.

• Like 1

This is Randy Nelson. Actually, I am not upset about anyone getting medals in any class. Yay for them all!! Anyone that knows me will tell you that I have been opposed to ALL end of the season promotions since the day they started. I have voted no without exception...once actually standing on a chair! My reason for the proposal is simple: If WGI is going to promote guards at the end of season based on success, then something needs to be done to keep those guards that class hop in check as well. If it was up to me, there would NO END OF THE SEASON PROMOTIONS OF ANY KIND. All of the arguments about losing members, staff, etc.....can be said for those that are forced promoted each year as well. Should make for an interesting debate at the meeting this weekend.

Then why not just get rid of the end of season promotions?

• Like 2

Then why not just get rid of the end of season promotions?

I have tried for years and years to get rid of them. I was successful two seasons ago, but it returned last year. My only reason for the proposal is to level the playing field. If WGI is going to promote, then I felt it was necessary to police those guards that move down after successful seasons in a particular class. I always go back to Colonial HS. After winning A Class, they lost literally 90% of their members and STILL had to compete in Scholastic Open the following year. We all know how that played out. As long as there is end of season promotion, then I think this this is fair. There is an appeal for both, so it really should not have a huge negative impact on those programs that really have a hardship. That is up to the Steering Committee, but at least there is an option.

I have tried for years and years to get rid of them. I was successful two seasons ago, but it returned last year. My only reason for the proposal is to level the playing field. If WGI is going to promote, then I felt it was necessary to police those guards that move down after successful seasons in a particular class. I always go back to Colonial HS. After winning A Class, they lost literally 90% of their members and STILL had to compete in Scholastic Open the following year. We all know how that played out. As long as there is end of season promotion, then I think this this is fair. There is an appeal for both, so it really should not have a huge negative impact on those programs that really have a hardship. That is up to the Steering Committee, but at least there is an option.

seems right..guards do need to be policed and evaluated season to season to see if they should be UP or DOWN

seems right..guards do need to be policed and evaluated season to season to see if they should be UP or DOWN

Personally, I don't think they do need policed. There's far too many groups for WGI to police correctly. Also, if this were to pass and we have a situation like scholastic world this past year, no one would be able to drop a class because everyone made semi's.

My questions to you all... whats so wrong with leaving a good A class guard in A class? What makes a guard that was reviewed mid-season to be open class in March or February world class in May? We are so quick to promote that I feel we aren't giving A and Open classes the chance to grow. There's never a reigning champion and never a team to beat. Honestly, we demand promotion of the top teams when we aren't winning when instead we could be trying to change the way we design and train our own teams to get a different score. Just some food for thought!

Personally, I don't think they do need policed. There's far too many groups for WGI to police correctly. Also, if this were to pass and we have a situation like scholastic world this past year, no one would be able to drop a class because everyone made semi's.

My questions to you all... whats so wrong with leaving a good A class guard in A class? What makes a guard that was reviewed mid-season to be open class in March or February world class in May? We are so quick to promote that I feel we aren't giving A and Open classes the chance to grow. There's never a reigning champion and never a team to beat. Honestly, we demand promotion of the top teams when we aren't winning when instead we could be trying to change the way we design and train our own teams to get a different score. Just some food for thought!

Well its a 2 fold or double edge sword I guess. I see your point BUT there have been MANY MANY directors and instructors that love hanging out just chasing medals and clearly dont belong in a lower class . The flip side of that coin is Those bumped up ESPECIALLY open to world usually arent ready on many levels including financially. AS far as a reigning Champion...its been set up that youre supposed to grow within the activity not hang around in the lower classes if possible....Its not a perfect and sometimes honest assesment either from staffs at times as well as WGI wanting to increase a certain upper class merely to fill numbers.

• Like 1