1993 Star of Indiana is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

This is one of my least favorite Star shows. There are only a couple of places that give a real sense of enjoyment. One is The Roll, and the other is the last two minutes (one of the angriest moments in drum corps history). Having said that I have to give respect to the kids that marched that show. It could not have been easy to do.

This is one of my least favorite Star shows. There are only a couple of places that give a real sense of enjoyment. One is The Roll, and the other is the last two minutes (one of the angriest moments in drum corps history). Having said that I have to give respect to the kids that marched that show. It could not have been easy to do.

What are some other "angry" musical moments in DCI history?

Suncoast 1983 was fine, too, but let's call that one "optional", and not "required".

Not with that opener!

87 was a show even the corps members didn't really like, and 89 was -- in many ways -- a pale redo of 85 (although it DID have it's moments), but overall, 83-89 Suncoast Sound had much the same kind of run of great shows Star did...it just continually and almost criminally doesn't get the respect it deserves...probably the most underrated corps of the 80s.

And yes, I WAS implying that 88 Suncoast set the stage for 93 Star. While the vehemence wasn't quite as pronounced as what Star went through (the ugly jealously about finances was not there), it was still a love or hate show....no real middle ground that I remember.

Edited by 84BDsop

What are some other "angry" musical moments in DCI history?

Hey! Write your own articles. That's why you get paid the big bucks! Or do you get paid in waffles or cheese? Or waffles AND cheese?

Oh, alright ... I'll start the crowdsourcing.

88 Velvet Knights. Malaguena. When the bull is urinating on the bull fighter.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

Hey! Write your own articles. That's why you get paid the big bucks! Or do you get paid in waffles or cheese? Or waffles AND cheese?

Oh, alright ... I'll start the crowdsourcing.

88 Velvet Knights. Malaguena. When the bull is urinating on the bull fighter.

*waggles hand* Not sure if that really qualifies as an angry moment....opportunistic, perhaps, but not angry.

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered it. 1993 was a very good year. The DVD is marked down to $28, but even with picking the lowest priced shipping, the shipping and handling was $13. That is a 46% markup on the cost of the DVD. Surely DCI can do better than that. I can't afford almost a third (32%) of my total order going down the drain.

• Like 1

I get paid? :tongue: Actually, I get paid in Confederate scrip.

I'm a tough negotiator; I held out for the waffles and the cheese.