Phantom Regiment 1994

...and we enjoyed that one too... It also "won" DCI.

Jeremiah has been successfully performed a couple of times since then. A bit was performed by Garfield in 1990, and by another top 12 corps ( and many marching bands) since then, but not too many other corps have successfully bitten off Symphonie Fantastique.

The Cascades band-ized it in 2002 (heck, it worked for them-- they made Finals). The Cadets did not repeat a note of it in 1990. Candide, Mass, Somewhere, Fancy Free, Recap/Finale.

The Cascades band-ized it in 2002 (heck, it worked for them-- they made Finals). The Cadets did not repeat a note of it in 1990. Candide, Mass, Somewhere, Fancy Free, Recap/Finale.

I thought there was some Jeremiah in there too. Oh well, it's be a while!

At any rate, I'm not diminishing Jeremiah. It's wonderful. I've heard it done on the field successfully by several groups ( Marion Catholic HS too).

That being said, so was Symphonie Fantastique! ...and no corps has more successfully performed it than Phantom Regiment. I doubt any corps would try to today.

Both are difficult for differing reasons.

I thought there was some Jeremiah in there too. Oh well, it's be a while!

At any rate, I'm not diminishing Jeremiah. It's wonderful. I've heard it done on the field successfully by several groups ( Marion Catholic HS too).

That being said, so was Symphonie Fantastique! ...and no corps has more successfully performed it than Phantom Regiment. I doubt any corps would try to today.

Both are difficult for differing reasons.

I'm not one to encourage repeats, but I'd like to see a more talented Phantom corps redo the Berlioz. "Spartacus" seemed to work for them. :cool: The Cadets could really make "On the Waterfront" work better. And I've always wanted to see another version of Crown's "Stormworks" which first got them into Finals.

• Like 1

And I've always wanted to see another version of Crown's "Stormworks" which first got them into Finals.

Me too, but we'll be waiting forever. Stephen Melillo refuses to grant arranging rights to his pieces any more. He will accept commissions for new works but won't allow arrangements. Bluecoats' "Hajj" in 2005 was the last we'll hear.

Your close-up blocked me from getting mine. Jerk. :)

You still got your audio "close up" in, so it's all good. :tongue:

• Like 1

Me too, but we'll be waiting forever. Stephen Melillo refuses to grant arranging rights to his pieces any more. He will accept commissions for new works but won't allow arrangements. Bluecoats' "Hajj" in 2005 was the last we'll hear.

And frankly, good riddance. If the price of hearing his music is anyone from the corps actually having to deal with the man, it's simply not worth it. He is a first class jack ###.

And frankly, good riddance. If the price of hearing his music is anyone from the corps actually having to deal with the man, it's simply not worth it. He is a first class jack ###.

I've heard that or something similar from multiple sources. But, I suppose that's to be expected: some composers are the nicest, most gracious people you'll ever meet... some are snotty, ego-inflated narcissists. Just like any other segment of society.

• Like 1

I could be mistaken, but I could have sworn in the past he actually wrote a couple of pieces for a corps? Maybe I am getting composers mixed up, but I was thinking in the early 2000s one of the corps contracted him to write a piece for them. Sounds like he may have become a real jerk since then.