Shaun Canon's support for DCI

I must disagree....WE get up in arms when someone says the B word in reference to corps (hell...witness the reaction to Shaun's announcement), but he shouldn't come back if he perceives the same treatment? And how do you know Ghost's pist was done behind his employer's back??

The FACT that our desired corrections were made so fast speaks far more about Shaun and his team than 90% of what's posted on this board.

My response had more to do with the message being spoken in the manner it was without approval of the boss. It's very unprofessional. Mouthing off and putting words in the mouth of a superior usually lands someone out on his or her keister.

• Like 2

PS. You should remember that this is a public forum. All your criticism can be seen by Shaun Canon's fans who don't know what Drum Corps is, and all they see is you bagging on an artist who just released a music video that's all about giving props to DCI. This reflects poorly on drum corps, so kKeep that in mind when you're posting on here...

This is key.

The guy stepped up and made a great video supporting the activity and getting kids more involved in it. If anything, people here should be going out of their way to support him as a result. If it is shown that this type of support results in criticism, would definitely discourage others in the future.

Anyway... random observation... why does it seem that only celebrities making videos in support of DCI are from Utah (ex: Steve Young)?

• Like 7

GhostofElvis, let me assure you that the posters on DCP do not, in any way, shape, or form represent the views of the drum corps fan community at large...and thank goodness for that. The other thread has reached critical mass in terms of ridiculousness. ANY support of this activity is a good thing, and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Yes, I assumed as much. Thanks for saying so and confirming my assumption. Every forum has its cynics and complainers.

PS. I changed "National Competition" to "World Competition". This is slightly foreign territory for me, so I appreciate the constructive feedback. I know Shaun would want Drum Corps represented in the right way. :)

• Like 4

Thanks for such a quick response to changing the wording of the site. I seriously did not expect that to happen over the weekend. That said, it is a "World Championship" as Michael Boo so graciously pointed out in the other discussion thread...

Changed it to World Championship :) Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

This is key.

The guy stepped up and made a great video supporting the activity and getting kids more involved in it. If anything, people here should be going out of their way to support him as a result. If it is shown that this type of support results in criticism, would definitely discourage others in the future.

Anyway... random observation... why does it seem that only celebrities making videos in support of DCI are from Utah (ex: Steve Young)?

Steve Young is awesome! When did he do something for DCI?

Edited by GhostOfElvis
  • Like 1

As one of Shaun Canon's assistants,

PS. You should remember that this is a public forum. All your criticism can be seen by Shaun Canon's fans who don't know what Drum Corps is, and all they see is you bagging on an artist who just released a music video that's all about giving props to DCI. This reflects poorly on drum corps, so kKeep that in mind when you're posting on here...

GoE, I appreciate your coming on here and giving a qualified response to the comments posted, as well as correcting some of the mistakes on your website. And I fully support Shaun's efforts in expanding music education in general and drum corps in specific. As long as he doesn't become another Miley Cyrus smoke machine, I'm sure his appearance at DCI finals will be warmly welcomed by the fans, and his appearance will be useful to him, to DCI, and to drum corps in general.

All that said, I'm more than a little bothered by the last line of your post.

I see you're a DCP rookie, having only found us, I suspect, as a result of your association with Shaun and DCI. Anyone can Google Shaun's name and find their way to DCP; I hope they do.

But when they do, they surely should recognize that DCP is a public opinion site. It is not DCI. It's not a purely "rah-rah" site of DCI, and I suspect it won't become such for either DCI or Shaun, regardless of the partnership's perceived success, if any. The majority of people who post here are rabid, old-time (though not all "dino") fans of the activity who have been led down the path of "THIS will fix it!" many times, only to be disappointed with the results. I suspect that even the harshest cynic here actually hopes that, this time, it will be different even as the G7 ghosts linger around.

Regardless, this is an OPINION site and, surely, you don't expect all opinions of Shaun to be positive.

Your caution about the impression on new visitor Shaun-fans is warranted, but the tacit finger-wagging that public opinion should be only positive, lest we discourage the newbie from returning, is hollow and stifling.

DCP is but another example that life is not all puppy dogs and flowers; a lesson that is, at least, as important for youngsters to learn as is the importance of music education.

When we see DCP listed next to DCI's name on Shaun's advertisements, DCP'ers might be only slightly more concerned about the impact it may have about the activity on the fresh-faced flute players.

Until then, and even after, one shouldn't attempt to stifle opinions to only the positive side of the issue.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 6