Shaun Canon's support for DCI

WGI used to stand for Winter Guard International. Since they let in percussion, it's now WGI and it stands for WGI...nothing more. Everyone who knows WGI knows what it is, and everyone who knows DCI knows what it is. Even before we switched to B-flat instruments, we called it drum corps even though the fuller name was drum and bugle corps. Even back then, the activity included color guards, which weren't really color guards, (as in posting the colors or guarding the national flag), but it was understood.

There was no need to refer to the activity as drum, bugle and auxiliary corps any more than there is a need to now refer to it as brass, percussion and auxiliary corps. The name "DCI" conjures up a vision specific to what is produced on the field, and what is produced on the field is very different now than it was in 1972 when DCI held its first World Championship. Changing the name to Marching Band International is just not needed to properly reflect any dynamic or marketing need. What if we some day added clown cars and dancing chickens? Do we change the name again? (And Minnesota Brass Inc. might have an issue with MBI.)

I tend to agree with this sentiment. When I think of BoA, I don't think of "Bank of America". I am also aware of the merger with Music for All, but that is only due to these message boards. I don't personally follow BoA/Music for All. BUT I do recognize the BoA brand. I am sure some still refer to it as Bands of America like myself and NOT Music for All.

I think the brand is "DCI" itself as you have talked about above. I guess the only confusion is when you try to move this niche activity more mainstream. I don't think it will ever become mainstream and there really is nothing wrong with that in the first place IMO. Besides unless you have a billion dollars in the bank to spend on branding...in the end I think trying to going mainstream MAY dilute the brand of DCI itself. Just my opinion of course...

This activity is marching band...always has been. Why should he avoid calling it what it is? Who cares if a few people on DCP get their panties in a bunch over him calling something what it is.

I have to wonder if the pedantic responses we corps fans give to those ignorant of such things doesn't serve to drive outside support away....

• Like 5

Do you think Tiger Woods would be insulted if part of his fan base claimed he golfed in the Professional Putt-Putt Association? Same equipment, same goal. Same?

(BTW, he won at the Memorial today. Watch for his chip shot on 16 - Incredible!)

Not even close to the same comparison.

And I'm going to guess that Tiger Woods wouldn't give a rat's ###, as he would be too busy counting his millions.

• Like 1

Drum corps is marching band to people who KNOW what drum corps IS.

Marching Band is amateur football half-time shows to the public. Is THAT what "drum corps" is?

A drum corps marches down a parade route with no identifying banner, and in a town that doesn't currently have a corps.

Poll the audience.

It's a marching band.

Listen, I used to be one of those people, too. I marched sixteen years of drum corps. I used to waste a lot of energy getting riled up because someone called my corps a "marching band". Then I grew up.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 9

A drum corps marches down a parade route with no identifying banner, and in a town that doesn't currently have a corps.

Poll the audience.

It's a marching band.

Listen, I used to be one of those people, too. I marched sixteen years of drum corps. I used to waste a lot of energy getting riled up because someone called my corps a "marching band". Then I grew up.

So, while there are some minor differences between marching bands and drum corps it is ok to call drum corps marching bands because in essence they do the same thing. Well, using that logic while there are minor differences between the Marines and the Army they in essence serve the same function. Therefore, in your line of logic, the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps can be "correctly" identified as an Army Marching Band.

• Like 3

... the fact that many within the drum corps community get offended when it is called marching band should certainly be an important issue for "a publicist concerned with public relations and press releases".

Hate to have to be the one to point this out, but isn't it just possible that these PR folks did? Isn't it possible they looked at our activity and came to the conclusion that irrespective of the hyper-sensitivity of a few that drum corps still is described accurately as marching band?

I understand that's not your conclusion. But maybe it was theirs?

HH

If you believe this, then why doesn't DCI change the name to MBI ? ( for " Marching Band International" )Do you have any explanation for the lack of change with this, Mike ? If we are for " change " then why keep the name " Drum Corps", if as you say its " marching band " ?

They could if they choose to do so. Would be fine with me.

I have to wonder if the pedantic responses we corps fans give to those ignorant of such things doesn't serve to drive outside support away....

Just looking at the animosity toward a pop singer wanting to help spread the word because every word was not pre-approved by DCP posters makes this a very good point.

• Like 1

Therefore, in your line of logic, the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps can be "correctly" identified as an Army Marching Band.

Thats right. Thats because if they were marching down the street in a community with no other Drum Corps and we polled the people along trhe parade route the vast majority would call them the " Marines Marching Band ".

Its ok for thousands in the public to call DCI Units " marching band ", but aside from MikeD and a few other DCP'ers on here it seemsd its NOT ok to call the DCI units " marching band". Some get VERY upset if others on here call them " bands " or those that do DCI, " bandos ". Its a very conflicted time. I think these DCI units are still " Drum Corps ", but I can understand where for others, these units have now morped into the " marching band " realm, and are no longer " Drum and Bugle Corps ". But I don't know why folks get upset either if others call the DCI units now " marching bands ". The changes have moved the units in that direction now for decades. There certainly was a time that no Drum Corps Director wanted his Drum and Bugle Corps to be called a " band ", and for their part, no band director ever wanted to have his " band " referred to as a " Drum and Bugle Corps". It was always.. viva la difference. But times changed, and its been the Drum and Bugle Corps that has given up its identity in order to become a " marching band ", and I don't see the need for anyone to get bent out of shape anymore on the nomenclature of these DCI units anymore. But if they want to, I suppose thats their choice too.

Edited by BRASSO

its funny for years and years "we" drum corps people have hated being called Bands YET when we describe what drum corps is Most of us say " well its like a professional marching band"...lol,,....I guess by sticking in the word professional makes most feel superior..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3