Season 18 Discussion Thread

I can agree with that. And I'm still at a loss to explain how west coast shows get to have a full slate of judges when everywhere else in the country has a restricted panel each night.

The west coast corps PAY for the extra judges to have a full panel. My understanding is that it's entirely up to the show hosts the first few weeks of the season. I'm sure corps like SCV and BD, who are very financially stable, feel it's worth it to pay for extra judges and get feedback on all sections.

Scores from yesterday are up, and the first caption score bump is in effect.

Jupiter and Hawaii picked up nice wins in Sacramento. This completes Jupiter's West coast tour. The corps is on its way to Chicago areas for next show in Evanston on Monday night. Hawaii stays out West going North to Salem.

Cross finished behind Hg and The Bolts in very close scoring. The top 4 (including Xothyme) within .2. They took the day off today. Next show in Aurora.

Today's events, as corps gear up for their fourth of July celebrations and parades:

Southern corps have their first sole "big show" event at Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone NC

BooneNCKiddBrewerStadium22000.jpg

Everybody else is going small (or relatively smaller, anyway), as eastern corps head to Rome Free Academy in Rome NY, midwest corps make another stop in the Chicago area with a show at Evanston Township HS and western corps venture into the Pacific northwest with a visit to Willamette University in Salem OR.

RomeNYRomeFreeAcademy3000.jpg

EvanstonILEvanstonTownshipHS3000.jpg

SalemORMcCulloughStadium2500.jpg

Today's events:

In Rocky Mount NC, the Blue Barracudas are looking to channel their momentum from yesterday's second-place finish into a win tonight.

RockyMountNCRockyMountAthleticComplex4000-1.jpg

In Portland OR, Star of Hawaii looks to continue their hot streak in Open Class at Hillsboro Stadium.

PortlandORHillsboroStadium6000.jpg

In Bridgeport CT, the Knights Org corps will be on their home turf in this drum corps bastion.

BridgeportCTKennedyStadium10000.jpg

Finally, in Aurora IL, Metea Valley HS is the site of a payback battle as Star of Jupiter looks for revenge after last night's loss to Polaris Regiment.

AuroraILMeteaValleyHS3000.jpg

The Knights of... organization had a huge "Knight" at Boone, NC last night. As their corps director was playing with the Western Piedmont Symphony in nearby Lenoir, NC the organization swept all 3 classes at the only big stadium in the Southern tour this year. (per the executive director of DCPI)

This was even more special as the "Cannon Music Camp" started up at Appalachian State University the day before, and over 200 high school musicians from the Southeast saw the victory. After the sweep, the corps members rode "down the mountain" to our corps headquarters in Winston-Salem, NC where they were able to sleep in their own cots rather than the usual gym floor.

Rehearsal day today rather than driving 3 hours to Rocky Mount and than back again to Mooresville on 7/5.

I'll admit there has been a dearth of "big venues" on the southern tour so far- I had tried to merge the south region into the east/midwest tours for part of the first half of the season. However, there are some big shows coming up in the next couple weeks- Jacksonville AL and Savannah GA are a couple that spring to mind, and the south regionals will be at FAU's new football stadium in Miami.

And as always, directors are always welcome to suggest venues for future events.

Southern Star Cup (August 4th) will remain at BrightHouse Stadium on the UCF campus. This is a great venue for the show and much better alternative to the current state of the Citrus Bowl. Scheduling of the event will be interesting. We are still working this out with a record 62 corps attending. The previous record was 56.

More information to follow.

I think we'd both agree that just about anything is an improvement over the Fruit Stand.

Scores are up, albeit with a slight reporting glitch. Obviously, you can ignore all negative scores.

No events today- Happy 4th!