Why Applaud in the Theater?

That's like asking "why do we have funerals if the dead person can't enjoy it?"

In some cases, it's to make sure an unpopular person is really dead.

• Like 1

Do you even know who you're insulting? :doh:

Fran.

Fran Haring.

As to your question: Freedom of expression.

When one insults Fran Haring, one insults the Statue of Liberty, the Lincoln Memorial, Mount Rushmore, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the American flag, apple pie, apple cinnamon crisps, Fiona Apple, Apple Computer, Steve Jobs, the jobless, Les Brown, Jerry Brown, Betty White, Jack Black, Red Skelton, Spalding Gray, the Blue Angels, The Color Purple, and Oprah Winfrey.

I don't know if the OP can personally deal with insulting Oprah, but I choose to have no part of that.

Edited by Michael Boo

First, it was great to finally see some drum corps (in the theater) instead of just talking about it!

Secondly, I've been to a bunch of these theater events now (both the previews and Quarterfinals), and for the life of me I can't figure out the phenomenon of applauding after the show is finished in the theater. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for applauding for a great performance in person.

When people applaud after an individual show in the theater, am I the only one who wants to jump up and scream "THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU"??

If so, can someone please explain why?

- The same reason I went outside and screamed my head off after watching the Giants win the 2010 World Series, (and living in Houston, it was after 11pm by the time the game ended here. Didn't get any complaints from the neighbors, though)

- The same reason I was screaming my head off after Matt Cain pitched a perfect game for the Giants last week (didn't go outside this time, though)..

PURE JOY!!!

• Like 1

... or at a vegas tiger show.

Pardon me, Roy,

Is that the cat that nearly chewed ya?

Edited by JohnZ
inappropriate comments removed