Albuquerque, Tues. 6/19

Oh you're right, my bad:p

Can I say it sounds like there are a few heros in the trumpet and mello sections without getting hated on? Maybe it was the wind playing tricks on me?

Someone tried to hate, but I got your back!

Yeah it did sound like there were some heroes from the vid, but it's June, and it was just a rehearsal. They do sound much improved from last year.

I found a very, very poor quality vid of SCV's performance, and it seemed like a neat show! It has a minute long prelude of the slow part from Jupiter, followed by Leonardo Dreams of his Flying Machine, followed by this spectacular rendition of Blue Hour, and finishes up with about 4-5 minute mashup of Mars and Jupiter.

In my opinion, the ending is very abrupt, and I'm almost certain (with my limitless optimism) that it can and will be replaced by some other musical piece. I'm not sure what though.

Can anyone name a closer that would work well with a show called Music of the Starry Night? ph34r.gif

Edited by mikespeed
  • Like 2

Do you just make these things up in your head?

The general consensus was that PR was going to have a down year, and possibly end up in 7th... I can't recall a single person saying they were going to medal, much less win it all.

If I recall correctly, they actually got beat by SCV in CA.

By the end of the season, they were .15 behind Crown for the 4th spot and pulled away from SCV and Bluecoats. Seems like they ended on a pretty high note, rather than petering out like you suggest.

I appreciate your posts, but it is pretty obvious that you are quite the SCV homer...

Not attacking you, but In defense of fsubone, he was not "making up things in his head". Out here on the West Coast there really WAS some speculating that Phantom did have a shot at a medal. By time they left their West Coast swing, they had held their own pretty well, winning a number of shows and hanging in not too far behind the Cadets and BD, enough so that it was considered quite plausible that they could stay in medal contention even after some of the other East and Mid-west corps were added into the head-to-head mix.

Yes, you are correct, SCV did beat Phantom once here in CA (Oceanside, I believe). They also tied with them once (Clovis), Phantom beat SCV in the other seven shows on the West Coast.

Not attacking you, but In defense of fsubone, he was not "making up things in his head". Out here on the West Coast there really WAS some speculating that Phantom did have a shot at a medal. By time they left their West Coast swing, they had held their own pretty well, winning a number of shows and hanging in not too far behind the Cadets and BD, enough so that it was considered quite plausible that they could stay in medal contention even after some of the other East and Mid-west corps were added into the head-to-head mix.

Yes, you are correct, SCV did beat Phantom once here in CA (Oceanside, I believe). They also tied with them once (Clovis), Phantom beat SCV in the other seven shows on the West Coast.

I was there and would read comments and reviews. Almost all of the comments were:

1) show's too easy

2) too many ballads

3) corps behind them will catch up

4) drumline is dirty

5) brass line is dirty

For the life of me, I can't recall anyone saying that they'd medal.

Anyway... Moving on. That was last year.

Legends Drum Corps Preview

Place Corps Score

World Class

1 Bluecoats 70.200

2 Blue Stars 66.600

3 Troopers 62.000

4 Glassmen 60.700

Read more: http://www.dci.org/scores/index.cfm?event=57b29b15-1b18-4bd5-bab6-b9a3b02bce73#ixzz1yOBAIbBd

Hi all.

This is my first time posting in DCP. Seeing how many people are curious about Vanguard, I figured I'd at least right some brief reviews on the corps in Albuquerque the other night. Take my opinions for what they are, opinions. I'll write Academys and Vanguards tonight, and write Phantoms and Blue Knights tomorrow.

-The Academy

I'm sure seeing their score of 54 was quite disappointing to many of the fans who have not yet seen the show. However, don't be too discouraged. Academy is going for quite the dark fast pace show this year and should prove to be an exciting and demanding show for the corps throughout this season. Academy started off with the Stravinsky and made their impact on the fans quickly! If there is one thing they new how to do, it was their holds. They had the audience yelling and standing many times within the first movement. However, individual music performance outside of the holds was quite poor, not terribly surprising though I suppose. They did however have a Baritone soloist who was very pleasant to listen too. The drumline was very exciting throughout as well and considering that it was their first show, pretty clean. The second movement definitely was not as polished as the first movement, made apparent by the falling Contra and weak solo trumpets and individual playing in general. I must say though, they carried a confidence throughout the entire show that you don't see from all of the lower end corps. Now, for those of you wondering why they scored so low, it would be because they marched a 7 min show and played the rest in arc. I feel like they were more than likely penalized quite heavily for this. Criticism asside, I feal as if this could be the show that bumps them into finals.

-Santa Clara Vanguard

Being a long time "Phan" I must say, I was pulling for Vanguard when it came score time. Boy did they perform! The new staff changes have really done something for that brass line. They started with a gorgeous rendition of the ballad section of Jupiter. I've never heard a June brass line sound so clean, balanced, and polished. I feel like they do have something visually planned for this section, because it was about a minute and a half stand still. (Honestly it could stay just how it was and be just as phenomenal). They then go into a frantic Mars/Leonardo rendition and get things going. Being vanguard, individual basics where quite good throughout. The show had a number of exciting tosses as well (maybe it's due to me being a brass player, but I didn't notice any obvious drops either). The guard uniforms seemed a bit "cheap looking" in my opinion, but stood out well on the field. What hurt Vanguard throughout the evening was intervals in the drill, particularly in the Contras. It was blatantly obvious at times. Yet, you could tell they've worked on many of the difficult drill moves, and therefore the more demanding sets were much cleaner. After the first section, they really showed off their talent and control in the Blue Hour. Wow, how beautiful! That will be one of THE moments come finals! Mellophones really stuck out as impressive to me, particularly in the ballads. Very nice. Percussion throughout was as you'd expect from a Rennick line. Clean, crisp, and well blended. After the ballad, the lead Baritones performed a very demanding feature and executed it near flawlessy. The rest of the corps then followed with the main mars impact with a fantastic unison rifle toss. They then go into a very Cavaliers like drill cross-over pattern which was quite clean considering it being so early. To close things off, they mixed through various parts of their pieces in a well arranged closer and finish off strong. What an applause they received afterwards! I must say, although it's still early and the drill is dirty, they may be the underdog coming into the later season.

• Like 2

Hi all.

This is my first time posting in DCP. Seeing how many people are curious about Vanguard, I figured I'd at least right some brief reviews on the corps in Albuquerque the other night. Take my opinions for what they are, opinions. I'll write Academys and Vanguards tonight, and write Phantoms and Blue Knights tomorrow.

-The Academy

I'm sure seeing their score of 54 was quite disappointing to many of the fans who have not yet seen the show. However, don't be too discouraged. Academy is going for quite the dark fast pace show this year and should prove to be an exciting and demanding show for the corps throughout this season. Academy started off with the Stravinsky and made their impact on the fans quickly! If there is one thing they new how to do, it was their holds. They had the audience yelling and standing many times within the first movement. However, individual music performance outside of the holds was quite poor, not terribly surprising though I suppose. They did however have a Baritone soloist who was very pleasant to listen too. The drumline was very exciting throughout as well and considering that it was their first show, pretty clean. The second movement definitely was not as polished as the first movement, made apparent by the falling Contra and weak solo trumpets and individual playing in general. I must say though, they carried a confidence throughout the entire show that you don't see from all of the lower end corps. Now, for those of you wondering why they scored so low, it would be because they marched a 7 min show and played the rest in arc. I feel like they were more than likely penalized quite heavily for this. Criticism asside, I feal as if this could be the show that bumps them into finals.

-Santa Clara Vanguard

Being a long time "Phan" I must say, I was pulling for Vanguard when it came score time. Boy did they perform! The new staff changes have really done something for that brass line. They started with a gorgeous rendition of the ballad section of Jupiter. I've never heard a June brass line sound so clean, balanced, and polished. I feel like they do have something visually planned for this section, because it was about a minute and a half stand still. (Honestly it could stay just how it was and be just as phenomenal). They then go into a frantic Mars/Leonardo rendition and get things going. Being vanguard, individual basics where quite good throughout. The show had a number of exciting tosses as well (maybe it's due to me being a brass player, but I didn't notice any obvious drops either). The guard uniforms seemed a bit "cheap looking" in my opinion, but stood out well on the field. What hurt Vanguard throughout the evening was intervals in the drill, particularly in the Contras. It was blatantly obvious at times. Yet, you could tell they've worked on many of the difficult drill moves, and therefore the more demanding sets were much cleaner. After the first section, they really showed off their talent and control in the Blue Hour. Wow, how beautiful! That will be one of THE moments come finals! Mellophones really stuck out as impressive to me, particularly in the ballads. Very nice. Percussion throughout was as you'd expect from a Rennick line. Clean, crisp, and well blended. After the ballad, the lead Baritones performed a very demanding feature and executed it near flawlessy. The rest of the corps then followed with the main mars impact with a fantastic unison rifle toss. They then go into a very Cavaliers like drill cross-over pattern which was quite clean considering it being so early. To close things off, they mixed through various parts of their pieces in a well arranged closer and finish off strong. What an applause they received afterwards! I must say, although it's still early and the drill is dirty, they may be the underdog coming into the later season.

Thank you so much for the review! It's about time we see an actual review of Vanguard's show!

• Like 1

Hi all.

-The Academy

-Santa Clara Vanguard

Thank you for reviewing both shows! It looks like it's going to be a good year for both of them and I can not wait to see them!