George Hopkins

You're exactly correct. Not to mention the technical side of playing a woodwind instrument. You can't tell me that a student would possibly be able to hold a proper firm embochure on a clarinet while jazz running at 200 bpm. Then their is instrument upkeep. Are corps going to use plastic clarinets due to the wood horns cracking? Of course not because the quality would diminish, but how many instruments would be fully destroyed due to weather? How about reeds? How many reeds are you going to go through? This just doesn't make logistical sense.

WW players do those things all the time in the modern band world...sometimes in horrible conditions in the late fall.

What, exactly, do you think the G7 was all about, Mike?

Look at today. No WW, and the G7 are still part of DCI. There is obviously no critical mass of need in the eyes of the corps admins to justify making such changes.

WW players do those things all the time in the modern band world...sometimes in horrible conditions in the late fall.

Yeah.. and most of them freak out like little babies because their pads gets ruined.

NO BABIES IN DCI!

• Like 1

I have a comment to make about drum corps I would like all generations to think about. I marched in a national caliber corps in the early and mid-60s.

My generation added plastic heads, Swiss rudiments, rudimental bass drums, bugles with valve, rotary, and or slide. The next generation added their progress, etc. Although a lot of DC marchers think drum corps has been ruined, we all led that ruination along its path then.

We could be still using rope drums with calf heads, straight bugles, American Legion or VFW judging rules.

Please be careful when you judge the next generation because we were that "Next Generation" at some point!

Mitch

I've been saying exactly that for years here and in RAMD. People who think the road to where drum corps is today started in 1972 are late by decades.

• Like 1

Whoa... since when did my taste in music have anything to do with my ability to reason and create opinions on the direction DCI should take? What we have here is a logical fallacy, often used instead of actually arguing with the points made. Good job.

We don't need to keep the movies black and white, folks.

Actually taste in music says a lot about a person I have realized lately...

And I honestly see nothing of any type of musical quality on your little playlist in sig.

How it entertains the masses I have no ####### clue.

And if that makes me a snob... so be it...

I really hope you don't like dubstep..

• Like 2

Show me a High School band that has woodwind still playing with good characteristic tone while MOVING near 200 bpm? Next, the band director that allows horns to go outside during weather that could destroy, not damage but destroy,that instrument is a complete idiot!

Show me a High School band that has woodwind still playing with good characteristic tone while MOVING near 200 bpm? Next, the band director that allows horns to go outside during weather that could destroy, not damage but destroy,that instrument is a complete idiot!

Have you ever done marching band in the NE?? Say championships in Scranton, PA??

First part of your post however... I'd like to see that myself also!

I have no problem with changing to keep up with technology and industry advances. Free-floating snares, for example, have been a vast improvement over what came before. That's not at issue.

What's at issue is the fundamental changes to the activity. Amplification and electronics have transformed drum corps from a purely acoustic activity to a hybrid acoustic/electric environment. That was a big change, IMO.

The point is there have been all sorts of 'big change' events over time that radically changed drum corps. A&E is relatively small potatoes as compared to some of them over time.

Actually taste in music says a lot about a person I have realized lately...

And I honestly see nothing of any type of musical quality on your little playlist in sig.

How it entertains the masses I have no ####### clue.

And if that makes me a snob... so be it...

I really hope you don't like dubstep..

Well you may want to look up logical fallacies too. Usually when one makes generalizations based on the last 10 or so songs someone listened to in order to come to some conclusion about whether that person has the ability to think rationally, one will be mistaken.

Furthermore, I doubt you know what dubstep is.

• Like 1

you are 1000% correct. I have a drm corps family that dates back to 1947 to today..I have rel,atives that as soon as the 70s started say the same...its not drum corps...the problem is many decide on their own what progression means and where the dividing line is...and all couldnt be more wrong...if you look back most every poster will decide that their decade is cool but not the next , well that can be an endless path. I dont care if its the 50s up to now one can find something that chaged the face of the activity forever and I say thank God because if we didnt in one form or another drum corps wouldnt exsist today....yeah yeah the fundamental argument, whatever ! change is change...and not bad...JMO

There was a famous t-shirt in 1971...The Year Drum Corps died, just because a few corps (Scouts, Cavies, Cadets) dared to do themed shows...well, half a themed show for the Cavies.