George Hopkins

There was a famous t-shirt in 1971...The Year Drum Corps died, just because a few corps (Scouts, Cavies, Cadets) dared to do themed shows...well, half a themed show for the Cavies.

So would you agree that eventually most or all rules regarding creative limits will be removed, whether that be in 5 years or 25?

• Like 1

Have you ever done marching band in the NE?? Say championships in Scranton, PA??

First part of your post however... I'd like to see that myself also!

I didn't say that some directors DON'T do it. I just said if they do they're idiots! Haha.

Here is a Marching Roundtable Podcast with GH talking about why he wants woodwinds.

"For the future possibility of music education."

"Drum corps, as it stands now, I dont think is really a viable, doesn't have a viable platform enough to go forward."

"There is just not enough people who care about it anymore."

So wait....now the sky is falling? (Again?)

Furthermore, I doubt you know what dubstep is.

I don't live under a rock...

and yeah I do... it's awful

• Like 1

I fail to see what would be gained by adding woodwinds. Are corps failing for lack of recruits? Or does he want to see corps size go to 200?

If its a money thing, you don't actually need new instruments and uniforms each year. Or electronics, mixers, mikes, and amps. Or ten marimbas. Woodwinds would be more expensive anyway, for maintenance, and they'd inevitably lead to more milking and mixing and thus more demand on the underpowered PAs the corps use.

Why not start a summer marching band league if he's tired of DCI?

I find it interesting that they took away everything that made the Drum and Bugle Corps activity unique and then wonder where the fans went.

lol..do we really need to debate the " its not drum corps again " as well as point out the world changes and not just with the drum corps activity, or the fact its 2012 or that gas was 50cents BITD and not now..or that kids have more choices, or that there is no community support in many walks of life compared to the past , or that the legacy fan is aging, or that the activity serves a different kid, ok did I cover it all?......lol :tugowar:

I didn't say that some directors DON'T do it. I just said if they do they're idiots! Haha.

Nah... the players are idiots for playing WWs! tongue.gif

Whoa... since when did my taste in music have anything to do with my ability to reason and create opinions on the direction DCI should take? What we have here is a logical fallacy, often used instead of actually arguing with the points made. Good job.

You are not permitted to have a view contrary to the anointed few here on DCP, otherwise you are 'Borg' or somehow lacking in mental capabilities. Keep that in mind and you'll be just fine! :smile:

You are not permitted to have a view contrary to the anointed few here on DCP, otherwise you are 'Borg' or somehow lacking in mental capabilities. Keep that in mind and you'll be just fine! :smile:

Spoken like a true Borg!!! tongue.gif

• Like 2