Drum Corps traditions

I'm very curious of every corps different little corps traditions or rites of passage that they have. I'm not asking for secrets like I'm not asking what SUTA or Splooie means or anything like that. I'm just looking for things like Vanguard age outs having a green feather at finals, or Phamtom regiment having to earn those well I'm not really sure what they're called but when they extend their legs out before a hold type thing. I'm just curious about all of those things. I've been into drum corps for awhile but never had a forum to talk about it with other people.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Off the left

Cavies have "gears" if the rookies pass the test, and they gain one for each year they march

Crown has Crown necklaces, and they get a bead for each year with the color based on the show

SCV has green feathers, and they also keep their stars at the end of the season

Can't think of any others off the top of my head, sorry.

Back in the day, it was a tradition for guys in BD to get their left ear pierced. Sometimes it was done during rehearsal season (my first one was), other times it was done during a stop in Stillwater, MN (my 2nd).

It was always funny to see some guys (raises hand) taking the time to sort through their collection to decide which one(s) to wear at the show that night....or ask the guard girls if they could wear one of THEIRS. I had a script "Jazz" that I saved for major shows....lost it mid-tour, tho.

Oh yeah I knew about the gears.

(I have cousins who marched cavaliers)

That's really cool about the beads though.

So the star for vanguard is basically their "gear"?

So the star for vanguard is basically their "gear"?

Pretty much. You get to keep your star after Finals, and they go on the inside of the jackets. Once a member ages out, their final star goes on the outside of the jacket, over the embroidered star

That's pretty cool about the star.

You guys have no idea how fascinating I find this kind of stuff.

Even more cool when a current member wears the star one of his/her PARENTS wore when THEY marched SCV! THERE'S some family legacy for you!

Back to BD....I guess you could say it's a tradition that the Odello family be involved somehow....as there has been since 1957! That family bleeds more blue than Tommy Lasorda.