Mankato Mayhem!

Did Spirit have some re-writes or changes that they put in for this show? Or was it not the best run for them? Just trying to figure out why their score was off tonight?

The word on the FB page is it was just an off night--it just "didn't click". Nothing that can't be addressed and fixed.

For 12 minutes of music, I feel I get a perfect balance of Pictures and traditional Scouts. Robert W. Smith did a wonderful job IMO.

Park-and-bark, hold sets...whatever you want to call them ALL corps utilize them. There isn't a single corps that moves the entire time. Madison has some cleaning to do, but they're definitely moving and playing a lot more competitively this year. The members and staff have a very clear vision for the organization and you're beginning to see the fruits of all the hard work put in since 2010. I'd be a little hurt if they were stagnant...great to see them off to a strong start.

I expect the same progress for Spirit in the future. Even before last year, oddly enough, I've always found myself extremely entertained by their productions. They had a fantastic season last year and they're building on that success. They are great this year and we can all agree that expectations are very high for them. We should enjoy the fact that these two corps are making statements against some of the "giants" which is awesome. Let's appreciate the success that both corps are having at the moment...it's a little mind-blowing IMO.

• Like 7

Did Spirit have some re-writes or changes that they put in for this show? Or was it not the best run for them? Just trying to figure out why their score was off tonight?

The stadium in Mankato is a little more challenging to perform in if you haven't experienced it before. There's a lot reverb on the field. There's about a 4 to 5 foot wall in depth and height in front of the pit that deflects a lot of sound. You could hear it being picked up in everyone's sound systems. That could have played a role. It was still a pretty good performance after an awesome musical performance from Madison.

Edited by Reeses0316

Looks like maybe the drop was partially due to the Visual Proficiency caption, which Spirit hasn't been rated in before. At Sioux Falls there was a VP caption, but no judge, so they were assigned a VP score equal to their pro-rated score from the other four captions. In Spirit's previous shows the extra judge had been in Brass.

So from Sioux Falls to Mankato, they dropped 1.3 in the VP caption alone, which accounts for most of their drop. That plus an off night probably accounts for the difference.

I went to the Woodbury show but couldn't make it to Mankato. Sounds like everyone is getting better even after a couple of days. Would have been nice to get multiple reads. Oh well. I'll see them all in Minneapolis, then Indy!!!

I just couldn't understand how the Scouts could win Visual Effect and then lose Visual Proficiency by 1.2 points. Then, I googled Don Deems DCI Judge and it was immediately clear. I know the Scouts and Spirit are really classy organizations and won't make an issue and I am happy for that. Let's just call it a bad night or a lot of new changes that affected the visual proficiency for both corps.